Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

kmo

Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

kmo
Is it just me or my systems but is there a major problem with Roassal on
Pharo 6.1 on Windows?

At work on my Windows 7 machine, Roassal installs from the catalog browser
but the examples will not run. I get an error - External module not found.
it seems to be looking for the Surface dll which is definitely present in
the pharo folder.

On my Windows 10 netbook, Roassal will not even install from the catalog
browser. It starts to install then comes up with an unhelpful "something has
gone wrong" message.

Roassal still works in Pharo 5. So is this just a 6.1 issue?

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

EstebanLM
Hi,

it should work, there is nothing that prevents it… can you download latest VM?

Esteban

> On 23 Sep 2017, at 10:57, kmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is it just me or my systems but is there a major problem with Roassal on
> Pharo 6.1 on Windows?
>
> At work on my Windows 7 machine, Roassal installs from the catalog browser
> but the examples will not run. I get an error - External module not found.
> it seems to be looking for the Surface dll which is definitely present in
> the pharo folder.
>
> On my Windows 10 netbook, Roassal will not even install from the catalog
> browser. It starts to install then comes up with an unhelpful "something has
> gone wrong" message.
>
> Roassal still works in Pharo 5. So is this just a 6.1 issue?

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

EstebanLM

> On 23 Sep 2017, at 11:07, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> it should work, there is nothing that prevents it… can you download latest VM?
it should be this one:

http://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/pharo-win-latest.zip

Esteban

kmo

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

kmo
No luck. I cannot say whether this fixes the problem on Windows 7 because I'm
not at work. But roassal will not install on my Windows 10 laptop.  Other
items from the Catalog Browser install OK. So it's a problem with Roassal in
particular.

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

Peter Uhnak
Do fonts on the system look weird?
If you execute

'hello' asText allBold, ' world' asText

is the first half bold?

Because sometimes Windows just **** ups and prevents Pharo from loading some libraries, including Font, and in such cases Roassal also doesn't work. But restart (or two) so far as always fixed it somehow magically.

Peter

kmo

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

kmo
All looks OK to me. No font issues.

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

abergel
Hi!

Looks like a dll is missing.
@Milton: have you experience this problem under windows?

Alexandre

> On Sep 23, 2017, at 5:57 AM, kmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is it just me or my systems but is there a major problem with Roassal on
> Pharo 6.1 on Windows?
>
> At work on my Windows 7 machine, Roassal installs from the catalog browser
> but the examples will not run. I get an error - External module not found.
> it seems to be looking for the Surface dll which is definitely present in
> the pharo folder.
>
> On my Windows 10 netbook, Roassal will not even install from the catalog
> browser. It starts to install then comes up with an unhelpful "something has
> gone wrong" message.
>
> Roassal still works in Pharo 5. So is this just a 6.1 issue?

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

Jan Blizničenko
Hello

Just to be sure, if you follow these steps, please, does it still not work?
1) Download whole Pharo 6.1 Windows package from
http://files.pharo.org/platform/Pharo6.1-win.zip
2) Unzip it and open it by running Pharo.exe (not the .image file)
3) Load Roassal using following code:
        Gofer it
            smalltalkhubUser: 'ObjectProfile' project: 'Roassal2';
            configurationOf: 'Roassal2';
            loadStable.

I have Windows 10 1703 64bit and all works fine to me.

Jan

kmo wrote

kmo

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

kmo
Many thanks. I tried this and it worked fine and Roassal installs and runs.

I then typed the same gofer command into my original Pharo 6.1 directory and
I got an error - #withSqueakLineEndings was sent to nil. Perhaps that's a
clue to what was going wrong.

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

Jan Blizničenko
I recommend replacing your VM by last stable one from
http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/win/stable-20170827.zip and if it
does not help, replacing the image by current one from
http://files.pharo.org/image/60/60510.zip

You probably use older image or VM that either contained some kind of bug
that has been already fixed in current version, or something has been
changed, Roassal adapted to it, but your older image or VM does not contain
that change to which Roassal is adapted now.

Jan

kmo wrote

> Many thanks. I tried this and it worked fine and Roassal installs and
> runs.
>
> I then typed the same gofer command into my original Pharo 6.1 directory
> and
> I got an error - #withSqueakLineEndings was sent to nil. Perhaps that's a
> clue to what was going wrong.

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

hernanmd
I couldn't reproduce any problem installing Pharo 6.1 in Windows 8.1
from command line:

wget -O- get.pharo.org/61+vm | bash -

And then installing Roassal from the Catalog Browser. All the examples
ran wiithout problems.
Cheers

Hernán

kmo

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

kmo
Roassal is working Ok on my Wndows 10 laptop now. But on my 32-bit Windows 7
PC at work it still does not work.

Here's the steps to reproduce:

) Download whole Pharo 6.1 Windows package from
http://files.pharo.org/platform/Pharo6.1-win.zip
2) Unzip it and open it by running Pharo.exe (not the .image file)
3) Load Roassal using following code:
        Gofer it
            smalltalkhubUser: 'ObjectProfile' project: 'Roassal2';
            configurationOf: 'Roassal2';
            loadStable.

4) Roassal now loads successfully. Go to Roassl example. Display examples.
Everything works OK. No problems at all with Roassal.

5) Save imafge as "MyRoassal.image"

6) quit Pharo

7) Launch pharo again

8) select "MyRoassal .image"

9) Pharo opens the image but Roassal no longer works. It cannot find an
external module. Somehow saving and re-opening the image has broken Roassal.
See image.
<http://forum.world.st/file/t368903/roassalbug.png>

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

abergel
This is really weird. Any idea anyone?

Alexandre

kmo

Re: Roasssal not working on Windows with Pharo 6.1

kmo
The problem is fixed now. I loaded up pharo at lunchtime and all the roassal
images worked perfectly. No problems at all. But I had done nothing. No
changes at all. The only thing I can think of is that I may have rebooted
since the last time I ran pharo. But I'm not sure. So it's all still a
mystery but at least everything is working now.