Rocket Chat - An open source alternative to Slack

Rocket Chat - An open source alternative to Slack

kilon.alios
So since Slack has been so successful for our community , far more that IRC has been in terms of participation and useful discussions (at least the 2 years I have been around)

it made me wonder if I could find an open source alternative to Slack that is at least as good as it if not better without a very different workflow (so we have to learn everything from zero) all the big pros and something that could easily interface with Pharo.

Ladies and gentlemen meet Rocket Chat

https://rocket.chat/

The good news about Rocket chat is that it seems to have all the pros of Slack like close integration with tweeter, github etc etc . It has clients for all OS and mobile devices. But not the big cons like the 10.000 messages limit ( which we have long exceeded). Its open source and most importantly written in javascript and we know that pharo can interface with javascript in many diffirent ways .

Hosted on Github and deployable with open source technologies.

And even its license is MIT.

The reviews I have read about it are very positive.

So what do you think ?

Re: Rocket Chat - An open source alternative to Slack

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Dimitris Chloupis's message of 2015-12-16 11:04:04 +0100:

> So since Slack has been so successful for our community , far more that IRC
> has been in terms of participation and useful discussions (at least the 2
> years I have been around)
>
> it made me wonder if I could find an open source alternative to Slack that
> is at least as good as it if not better without a very different workflow
> (so we have to learn everything from zero) all the big pros and something
> that could easily interface with Pharo.
>
> Ladies and gentlemen meet Rocket Chat
>
> https://rocket.chat/
>
> The good news about Rocket chat is that it seems to have all the pros of
> Slack like close integration with tweeter, github etc etc . It has clients
> for all OS and mobile devices.

what it doesn't have is support for irc clients:
https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat/issues/1259

for me, that's a deal breaker. because as nice as these services are, i don't
have the patience to run a dozen clients for all different communication
services.

it is bad enough that these services are not federated and i have to connect to
them to communicate, but at least support for common, already existing clients,
should be there.

it does seem to have an irc bridge at least. a bit ugly, but workable.

but there is also mattermost: http://mattermost.org/ (and it has irc client support)
seems at least as mature as rocket.chat.

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: Rocket Chat - An open source alternative to Slack

Offray
I think both, rocket.chat and mattermost.org are interesting. Owning
vital infrastructure, like the one of communications, is key for proper
community empowerment, but the problem is that this is a small community
without many spare resources and I don't know if any has the
time/infrastructure to volunteer hosting them and making the test. What
is a fact is that Slack has changed the way community interacts, mostly
for good so exploring and owning alternatives is a valuable pursuit.

Cheers,

Offray

On 16/12/15 07:05, Martin Bähr wrote:

> Excerpts from Dimitris Chloupis's message of 2015-12-16 11:04:04 +0100:
>> So since Slack has been so successful for our community , far more that IRC
>> has been in terms of participation and useful discussions (at least the 2
>> years I have been around)
>>
>> it made me wonder if I could find an open source alternative to Slack that
>> is at least as good as it if not better without a very different workflow
>> (so we have to learn everything from zero) all the big pros and something
>> that could easily interface with Pharo.
>>
>> Ladies and gentlemen meet Rocket Chat
>>
>> https://rocket.chat/
>>
>> The good news about Rocket chat is that it seems to have all the pros of
>> Slack like close integration with tweeter, github etc etc . It has clients
>> for all OS and mobile devices.
> what it doesn't have is support for irc clients:
> https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat/issues/1259
>
> for me, that's a deal breaker. because as nice as these services are, i don't
> have the patience to run a dozen clients for all different communication
> services.
>
> it is bad enough that these services are not federated and i have to connect to
> them to communicate, but at least support for common, already existing clients,
> should be there.
>
> it does seem to have an irc bridge at least. a bit ugly, but workable.
>
> but there is also mattermost: http://mattermost.org/ (and it has irc client support)
> seems at least as mature as rocket.chat.
>
> greetings, martin.

Re: Rocket Chat - An open source alternative to Slack

kilon.alios
I completely agree with this is why I did not push it further I just brought it to your attention.

In any case, I am fine with Slack and I rely mostly on this mailing list anyway. I rather focus on coding for Pharo than worry about a chat system ;)

So what do you think ?

So what do you think ?

So what do you think ?