Rome port

12

Rome port

Michael Rueger-6
Hi all,

there is now a Pharo port of Rome :-)

Quite a few things are still untested and probably broken, freetype
integration isn't what it should be yet, but it basically works.

You will need the RomePlugin for your platform.
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25046/rome.zip

To load:

Get these two packages from PharoInbox (for now)
Graphics-MichaelRueger.168
FreeType-MichaelRueger.498

To load Rome:

Gofer new
        impara: 'RomePharo';
        addPackage: 'Rome-BalloonCanvas';
        addPackage: 'Rome-Base';
        addPackage: 'Rome-PluginCanvas';
        addPackage: 'Rome-Fonts';
        addPackage: 'Rome-Demo';
        load

Make sure that Freetype fonts are loaded:

FreeTypeFontProvider current loadFromSystem.
RomeFontManager resetDefault

There is no support for strike or TT fonts (yet).

Michael

Re: Rome port

Tudor Girba
That is great news, Michael!

Cheers,
Doru

On 17 Dec 2009, at 13:39, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there is now a Pharo port of Rome :-)
>
> Quite a few things are still untested and probably broken, freetype
> integration isn't what it should be yet, but it basically works.
>
> You will need the RomePlugin for your platform.
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25046/rome.zip
>
> To load:
>
> Get these two packages from PharoInbox (for now)
> Graphics-MichaelRueger.168
> FreeType-MichaelRueger.498
>
> To load Rome:
>
> Gofer new
> impara: 'RomePharo';
> addPackage: 'Rome-BalloonCanvas';
> addPackage: 'Rome-Base';
> addPackage: 'Rome-PluginCanvas';
> addPackage: 'Rome-Fonts';
> addPackage: 'Rome-Demo';
> load
>

> Make sure that Freetype fonts are loaded:
>
> FreeTypeFontProvider current loadFromSystem.
> RomeFontManager resetDefault
>
> There is no support for strike or TT fonts (yet).
>
> Michael

www.tudorgirba.com

"Beauty is where we see it."

Re: Rome port

Mike
from an infrastructure point of view
it would be good to have all the pharo related files in the same place.
Could not you use PharoTaskForces?

Stef

On Dec 17, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there is now a Pharo port of Rome :-)
>
> Quite a few things are still untested and probably broken, freetype
> integration isn't what it should be yet, but it basically works.
>
> You will need the RomePlugin for your platform.
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25046/rome.zip
>
> To load:
>
> Get these two packages from PharoInbox (for now)
> Graphics-MichaelRueger.168
> FreeType-MichaelRueger.498
>
> To load Rome:
>
> Gofer new
> impara: 'RomePharo';
> addPackage: 'Rome-BalloonCanvas';
> addPackage: 'Rome-Base';
> addPackage: 'Rome-PluginCanvas';
> addPackage: 'Rome-Fonts';
> addPackage: 'Rome-Demo';
> load
>

> Make sure that Freetype fonts are loaded:
>
> FreeTypeFontProvider current loadFromSystem.
> RomeFontManager resetDefault
>
> There is no support for strike or TT fonts (yet).
>
> Michael

Re: Rome port

Michael Rueger-6
Michael Rueger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is now a Pharo port of Rome :-)

Just a few remarks about what Rome is :-)

Rome provides a hierarchy of canvas classes which share a common
protocol. Applications using Rome can switch backends without worrying
about protocol incompatibilities as is the case with the different
Morphic canvases right now.

Most prominent canvas is the RomePluginCanvas which interfaces with
Cairo. (maybe we should rename the class). Cairo itself provides
different backends so this offers access to pdf, ps and svg output.

The only other working class right now is the balloon canvas, using the
balloon engine as a backend.

A nice goal would be to migrate all drawing code to the Rome protocol,
adding e.g. a Bitblt canvas in the process.

The Rom-Demo package has a couple of examples how to use Rome, although
some of the demos aren't working yet (they were built against an early
version of Rome).

Currently there is no integration of Yoshiki's Pango extensions as there
was a fork in the plugin code a while back. Integration is on the to do
list though.

Sophie made extensive use of Rome plus quite sophisticated font and
graphical style classes, so this would open up a new era of Pharo
looking even better :-) Need to port the style classes into Pharo though...

Enjoy

Michael

Re: Rome port

hernanmd
Hi Michael,

2009/12/17 Michael Rueger <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> there is now a Pharo port of Rome :-)
>
> Quite a few things are still untested and probably broken, freetype
> integration isn't what it should be yet, but it basically works.
>
> You will need the RomePlugin for your platform.
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25046/rome.zip
>
> To load:
>
> Get these two packages from PharoInbox (for now)
> Graphics-MichaelRueger.168
> FreeType-MichaelRueger.498
>
> To load Rome:
>
> Gofer new
>        impara: 'RomePharo';
>        addPackage: 'Rome-BalloonCanvas';
>        addPackage: 'Rome-Base';
>        addPackage: 'Rome-PluginCanvas';
>        addPackage: 'Rome-Fonts';
>        addPackage: 'Rome-Demo';
>        load

When evaluating that script I get a Warning:

This package depends on the following classes:
  RomePath
  RomeReferenceCanvas
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
these definitions:
  RomeBalloonCanvas
  RomeBalloonCanvas>>createPath
  RomeBalloonCanvas>>deviceClear:fill:

I'm using Pharo-Core 111066 in Windows XP SP2, I proceeded anyway but
then I get a MNU in DisplayScreen class>>tiny (cannot send a walkback
since the menu doesn't appear). I'm missed something?

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: Rome port

Michael Rueger-6
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Mike
> from an infrastructure point of view
> it would be good to have all the pharo related files in the same place.
> Could not you use PharoTaskForces?

Yes, I can move it there now that I have sorted out a usable version :-)
Oh, just noticed that you already uploaded packages there earlier. We
should remove those though, as some of them are no longer used.

Michael

Re: Rome port

Michael Rueger-6
Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

>> To load Rome:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>        impara: 'RomePharo';
>>        addPackage: 'Rome-BalloonCanvas';
>>        addPackage: 'Rome-Base';
>>        addPackage: 'Rome-PluginCanvas';
>>        addPackage: 'Rome-Fonts';
>>        addPackage: 'Rome-Demo';
>>        load
>
> When evaluating that script I get a Warning:
>
> This package depends on the following classes:

        addPackage: 'Rome-Reference';

The dependencies obviously are not cleaned up completely yet...

> I'm using Pharo-Core 111066 in Windows XP SP2, I proceeded anyway but
> then I get a MNU in DisplayScreen class>>tiny (cannot send a walkback
> since the menu doesn't appear). I'm missed something?

Hmm, can't really explain why that would happen just by loading...

Michael

Re: Rome port

On Dec 17, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Michael Rueger wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> there is now a Pharo port of Rome :-)
>
> Just a few remarks about what Rome is :-)
>
> Rome provides a hierarchy of canvas classes which share a common
> protocol. Applications using Rome can switch backends without worrying
> about protocol incompatibilities as is the case with the different
> Morphic canvases right now.
>
> Most prominent canvas is the RomePluginCanvas which interfaces with
> Cairo. (maybe we should rename the class).
please! this is fun because this is the first thing i thought when I read this mail :)

> Cairo itself provides
> different backends so this offers access to pdf, ps and svg output.
>
> The only other working class right now is the balloon canvas, using the
> balloon engine as a backend.
>
> A nice goal would be to migrate all drawing code to the Rome protocol,
> adding e.g. a Bitblt canvas in the process.
>
> The Rom-Demo package has a couple of examples how to use Rome, although
> some of the demos aren't working yet (they were built against an early
> version of Rome).
>
> Currently there is no integration of Yoshiki's Pango extensions as there
> was a fork in the plugin code a while back. Integration is on the to do
> list though.
>
> Sophie made extensive use of Rome plus quite sophisticated font and
> graphical style classes, so this would open up a new era of Pharo
> looking even better :-) Need to port the style classes into Pharo though...

Thanks.

Re: Rome port

Alexandre Bergel
Michael, this is an excellent start!
Thanks for this. This is important.

> You will need the RomePlugin for your platform.
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25046/rome.zip

There is a plugin next to the MacOSX VM. I do not know whether this is
the same version of the plugin.

> To load:
>
> Get these two packages from PharoInbox (for now)
> Graphics-MichaelRueger.168
> FreeType-MichaelRueger.498

Unfortunately, I cannot load Graphics or FreeType.
When I load Graphics, the image freeze
When I load FreeType, I have an error: CompositionScanner does not
understand setFont

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gofer new
        impara: 'RomePharo';
        addPackage: 'Rome-BalloonCanvas';
        addPackage: 'Rome-Base';
        addPackage: 'Rome-PluginCanvas';
        addPackage: 'Rome-Fonts';
        addPackage: 'Rome-Demo';
        addPackage: 'Rome-Reference';
        load
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The script above loads fine in 10500.

> Make sure that Freetype fonts are loaded:
>
> FreeTypeFontProvider current loadFromSystem.
> RomeFontManager resetDefault

Some of the demo work:
        RomeDemo demoMovingCar
        RomeDemo demoGradients

Some of them does not work:
        RomeDemo demoDrawFreetypeString
        RomeDemo demoStringWheel

I can provide help if necessary (limited although).
I would like to use Rome for Mondrian.

Is Rome based on Cairo? If yes, which version of Cairo, the last one?

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Rome port

johnmci
Ya, for years now I've shipped the latest Rome plugin, which BTW I did compile,
within the Squeak macintosh carbon VM.

It's version 1.2.1

Likely the one https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
should disappear to avoid confusion.  Just use a 4.2.2 VM

I'll add building a RomePlugin for Squeak V5.0  to my list of things to do for Christmas.

On 2009-12-17, at 9:38 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Michael, this is an excellent start!
> Thanks for this. This is important.
>
>> You will need the RomePlugin for your platform.
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25046/rome.zip
>
> There is a plugin next to the MacOSX VM. I do not know whether this is
> the same version of the plugin

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Rome port

Alexandre Bergel
> I'll add building a RomePlugin for Squeak V5.0  to my list of things
> to do for Christmas.

Would be a great gift!

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Rome port

Thanks john

I deleted the plugging file.

Stef

On Dec 17, 2009, at 6:46 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Ya, for years now I've shipped the latest Rome plugin, which BTW I did compile,
> within the Squeak macintosh carbon VM.
>
> It's version 1.2.1
>
> Likely the one https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
> should disappear to avoid confusion.  Just use a 4.2.2 VM
>
> I'll add building a RomePlugin for Squeak V5.0  to my list of things to do for Christmas.
>
> On 2009-12-17, at 9:38 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Michael, this is an excellent start!
>> Thanks for this. This is important.
>>
>>> You will need the RomePlugin for your platform.
>>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
>>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25046/rome.zip
>>
>> There is a plugin next to the MacOSX VM. I do not know whether this is
>> the same version of the plugin

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Rome port

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I am a bit confused :). This link seems to not work:

What exactly should I do if I wanted to get Rome in 1.0 using a 4.2.2
VM?

Cheers,
Doru

On 17 Dec 2009, at 20:33, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks john
>
> I deleted the plugging file.
>
> Stef
>
> On Dec 17, 2009, at 6:46 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Ya, for years now I've shipped the latest Rome plugin, which BTW I
>> did compile,
>> within the Squeak macintosh carbon VM.
>>
>> It's version 1.2.1
>>
>> Likely the one https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
>> should disappear to avoid confusion.  Just use a 4.2.2 VM
>>
>> I'll add building a RomePlugin for Squeak V5.0  to my list of
>> things to do for Christmas.
>>
>> On 2009-12-17, at 9:38 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Michael, this is an excellent start!
>>> Thanks for this. This is important.

>>> There is a plugin next to the MacOSX VM. I do not know whether
>>> this is
>>> the same version of the plugin
>>
>> --
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
>> squeaker68882
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: Rome port

Simon Denier-3

On 18 déc. 2009, at 13:03, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a bit confused :). This link seems to not work:
>>>

> What exactly should I do if I wanted to get Rome in 1.0 using a 4.2.2
> VM?

You just need to install the packages indicated by Michael, the plugin is already there. It works for me.

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 17 Dec 2009, at 20:33, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Thanks john
>>
>> I deleted the plugging file.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Dec 17, 2009, at 6:46 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>
>>> Ya, for years now I've shipped the latest Rome plugin, which BTW I
>>> did compile,
>>> within the Squeak macintosh carbon VM.
>>>
>>> It's version 1.2.1
>>>
>>> Likely the one https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25047/RomePlugin.bundle.zip
>>> should disappear to avoid confusion.  Just use a 4.2.2 VM
>>>
>>> I'll add building a RomePlugin for Squeak V5.0  to my list of
>>> things to do for Christmas.

>>> --
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =====================================================================
>>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
>>> squeaker68882
>>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Don't give to get. Just give."

 Simon

Re: Rome port

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Thanks, but the packages do not seem to load either:

- in 10496dev I can load Graphics-MichaelRueger.168 and FreeType-
MichaelRueger.498, but when I try to load Rome, I get
"This package depends on the following classes:
   RomePath
   RomeReferenceCanvas ... "

- in 10500dev the image crashes when I try to load Graphics-
MichaelRueger.168

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Dec 2009, at 13:12, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 18 déc. 2009, at 13:03, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a bit confused :). This link seems to not work:
>>>>

>> What exactly should I do if I wanted to get Rome in 1.0 using a 4.2.2
>> VM?
>

> You just need to install the packages indicated by Michael, the
> plugin is already there. It works for me.
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 17 Dec 2009, at 20:33, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks john
>>>
>>> I deleted the plugging file.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Don't give to get. Just give."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"One cannot do more than one can do."

Re: Rome port

Michael Rueger-6
Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks, but the packages do not seem to load either:
>
> - in 10496dev I can load Graphics-MichaelRueger.168 and FreeType-
> MichaelRueger.498, but when I try to load Rome, I get
> "This package depends on the following classes:
>    RomePath
>    RomeReferenceCanvas ... "

you also need the Rome-Reference package, forgot that in the list.

> - in 10500dev the image crashes when I try to load Graphics-
> MichaelRueger.168

I only tested against what was the current core image a few days ago.

The two core packages would need to be integrated as they they obviously
get out of date very fast.

Michael

Re: Rome port

Tudor Girba
Excellent. This is the invocation that works in 10496:

Gofer new
        impara: 'RomePharo';
        addPackage: 'Rome-Reference';

On 18 Dec 2009, at 13:50, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Tudor Girba wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks, but the packages do not seem to load either:
>>
>> - in 10496dev I can load Graphics-MichaelRueger.168 and FreeType-
>> MichaelRueger.498, but when I try to load Rome, I get
>> "This package depends on the following classes:
>>   RomePath
>>   RomeReferenceCanvas ... "
>
> you also need the Rome-Reference package, forgot that in the list.
>

>> - in 10500dev the image crashes when I try to load Graphics-
>> MichaelRueger.168
>
> I only tested against what was the current core image a few days ago.
>
> The two core packages would need to be integrated as they they
> obviously
> get out of date very fast.
>
> Michael

www.tudorgirba.com

"What we can governs what we wish."

Re: Rome port

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Doru,

As I said, just load what is suggested with Gofer.

Alexandre

On 18 Dec 2009, at 13:30, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, but the packages do not seem to load either:
>
> - in 10496dev I can load Graphics-MichaelRueger.168 and FreeType-
> MichaelRueger.498, but when I try to load Rome, I get
> "This package depends on the following classes:
>   RomePath
>   RomeReferenceCanvas ... "
>
> - in 10500dev the image crashes when I try to load Graphics-
> MichaelRueger.168
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 18 Dec 2009, at 13:12, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> On 18 déc. 2009, at 13:03, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a bit confused :). This link seems to not work:
>>>>>

>>> What exactly should I do if I wanted to get Rome in 1.0 using a
>>> 4.2.2
>>> VM?
>>

>> You just need to install the packages indicated by Michael, the
>> plugin is already there. It works for me.
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Don't give to get. Just give."

>> --
>> Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "One cannot do more than one can do."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Rome port

Tudor Girba
Hi Alex,

In what image are you loading it that it works? Only after adding Rome-
Reference to what was said before was it Ok.

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Dec 2009, at 15:51, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi Doru,
>
> As I said, just load what is suggested with Gofer.
>
> Alexandre
>

> On 18 Dec 2009, at 13:30, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks, but the packages do not seem to load either:
>>
>> - in 10496dev I can load Graphics-MichaelRueger.168 and FreeType-
>> MichaelRueger.498, but when I try to load Rome, I get
>> "This package depends on the following classes:
>>  RomePath
>>  RomeReferenceCanvas ... "
>>
>> - in 10500dev the image crashes when I try to load Graphics-
>> MichaelRueger.168
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> You just need to install the packages indicated by Michael, the
>>> plugin is already there. It works for me.

>>> --
>>> Simon

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com