Rosario Conference Query

KenDickey
Juan & Germán,

Speaking for those of us unable to attend Rosario, if you have time it would be pleasant to read some notes of the conference on what you found of interest.  Any special "buzz"?

Germán, could you give a brief synopsis of your demo?

Inquiring minds..
-KenD

-KenD

Re: Rosario Conference Query

garduino
Hi Ken and list!

I couldn't mention any special "buzz" but, as always, the Smalltalk spirit was present in people doing Smalltalk from long time. I personally don't have too much chances of share in person with people doing Smalltalk during the year, then I enjoy a lot these opportunities and any talk in any break or in the dinner or when be possible.

I'm very happy of found companies doing a living from Smalltalk, as Instantiations, GemTalk Systems, Caesar Systems, Mercap, to mention the biggest but also other small companies (as mine) trying to work in Smalltalk as many as possible.

I wrote a small chronicle about the conference (in Spanish) but I think that using Google Translator you can understand it, it's at: http://germanarduino.blogspot.com.ar/2013/11/finalizo-smalltalks2013.html

All the talks were recorded, it's only matter of time that the organizer's can edit and upload them.

About mine, I already shared the slides and about the demo, I tried to show how the installation of packages work (having the requires coded) and also, how to the environment take care of the automatic separation of code belonging to packages and code belonging to Cuis core image (the code in changesets).

Unfortunately I was leaving when Juan was arriving and I can't meet him nor attend his talk, I'm also interested in know about the Juan talk. (Awaiting the video, but if Juan want to comment something here, better yet!).

Let me know if this respond your questions Ken!

2013/11/3 Ken Dickey <[hidden email]>
Juan & Germán,

Speaking for those of us unable to attend Rosario, if you have time it would be pleasant to read some notes of the conference on what you found of interest.  Any special "buzz"?

Germán, could you give a brief synopsis of your demo?

Inquiring minds..
-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Rosario Conference Query

KenDickey
On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 15:56:08 -0200
Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let me know if this respond your questions Ken!

It does.

Thank you for sharing!

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Rosario Conference Query

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

On 11/3/2013 1:23 PM, Ken Dickey wrote:
> Juan&  Germán,
>
> Speaking for those of us unable to attend Rosario, if you have time it would be pleasant to read some notes of the conference on what you found of interest.  Any special "buzz"?
>
> Germán, could you give a brief synopsis of your demo?
>
> Inquiring minds..
> -KenD

Unfortunately I was at Rosario only for a very brief time. I could only
attend to the Friday afternoon talks. Next year I'll try to attend the
whole conference...

The one I enjoyed the most was Leandro's wonderful keynote on where
ideas come from, and how to make them 'appear'. It was deeply inspiring.

I also enjoyed Martin McClure's talk about Mist. I think Mist is an
important experiment, and will teach us a lot. The main idea is replace
inheritance with class composition (something like stateful traits), and
use this new feature to model both 'is a' and 'has a' relations. This,
together with some changes to our concepts of 'self' and 'super' make up
for a different programming experience. Time will tell (I hope), if this
eases overall development and maintenance easier or not.

My talk had two parts. The first one was about the possibility of having
a real Dynabook for us, and the reasons for starting Cuis, a few years
ago. The second part was a quick overview of some of the tasks I used
Cuis for at Satellogic, mainly image processing stuff. I'll publish the
slides soon, when I find a couple of hours to prepare them. (yes, I
guess I should have done that *before* the talk, not afterwards... :)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Rosario Conference Query

Casey Ransberger-2
To the extent that we have the hardware technology to build a DynaBook today, I'm totally confident that we're there. On the other hand, there's definitely not a "product" on the market yet which enables the kind of thing we're after yet; they're all mired in bad ideas and DRM. There will be lots of passionate people scrambling to make the real thing happen. Hopefully someone pulls it off soon and finds a willing market.

To the extent that there's an interactive curriculum befitting the original vision, I've got some doubts.

Anyway I'd love it if you could point me at anything, even just a summary, of the Martin McClure talk.

Casey

On Nov 5, 2013, at 3:48 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> On 11/3/2013 1:23 PM, Ken Dickey wrote:
>> Juan&  Germán,
>>
>> Speaking for those of us unable to attend Rosario, if you have time it would be pleasant to read some notes of the conference on what you found of interest.  Any special "buzz"?
>>
>> Germán, could you give a brief synopsis of your demo?
>>
>> Inquiring minds..
>> -KenD
>
> Unfortunately I was at Rosario only for a very brief time. I could only attend to the Friday afternoon talks. Next year I'll try to attend the whole conference...
>
> The one I enjoyed the most was Leandro's wonderful keynote on where ideas come from, and how to make them 'appear'. It was deeply inspiring.
>
> I also enjoyed Martin McClure's talk about Mist. I think Mist is an important experiment, and will teach us a lot. The main idea is replace inheritance with class composition (something like stateful traits), and use this new feature to model both 'is a' and 'has a' relations. This, together with some changes to our concepts of 'self' and 'super' make up for a different programming experience. Time will tell (I hope), if this eases overall development and maintenance easier or not.
>
> My talk had two parts. The first one was about the possibility of having a real Dynabook for us, and the reasons for starting Cuis, a few years ago. The second part was a quick overview of some of the tasks I used Cuis for at Satellogic, mainly image processing stuff. I'll publish the slides soon, when I find a couple of hours to prepare them. (yes, I guess I should have done that *before* the talk, not afterwards... :)
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Rosario Conference Query

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Casey,

The project home is at http://mist-project.org/ . The videos section has
a couple of... er... videos :). I believe the talk at Smalltalks 2013
was similar to STIC 2013. At http://www.fast.org.ar/smalltalks2013/talks
you can find the abstract.

HTH

Cheers,