Rowan installation

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

I downloaded GemStone 3.6.1 and tried to install Rowan (I understand that I need it to run Jadeite). I'm getting the following error messages. Can you please help?

ERROR 2010 , a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error 2010), a Rowan class does not understand  #'gemstoneTools'
topaz > exec iferr 1 : stk
==> 1 MessageNotUnderstood >> defaultAction         @2 line 3
2 MessageNotUnderstood (AbstractException) >> _signalWith: @5 line 25
3 MessageNotUnderstood (AbstractException) >> signal @2 line 47
4 Rowan class (Object) >> doesNotUnderstand:    @9 line 10
5 Rowan class (Object) >> _doesNotUnderstand:args:envId:reason: @8 line 14
6 STONReader class (Behavior) >> _rwCompileMethodForConditionalPackaging:symbolList:category:environmentId:ifUnpackagedDo: @28 line 42

Thanks

Otto Behrens

+27 82 809 2375

FINWorks
FINWorkswww.finworks.biz

Disclaimer & Confidentiality Note: This email is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named above as it may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. FINWorks cannot be held liable by any person other than the addressee in respect of any opinions, conclusions, advice or other information contained in this email.

Re: Rowan installation

GLASS mailing list
Otto,

Rowan isn't quite ready for prime time ... I haven't been keeping the installation instructions up to date, because I'm not prepared to support it's use ... when Rowan is ready it will be pre-installed in extent0.dbf . Right now we build an extent0.rowan.dbf, but we do not ship it in the product release ...

Rowan is certainly usable as it stands today (v2). We use Rowan and Jadeite on a daily basis internally for working on the base image and other projects, but there are several features that aren't quite ready for production and we have yet to write much documentation. I'm aiming for Rowan v3 being ready for production use, but we are still working on getting a Pharo based dev environment for non-windows users and the current version of Jadeite doesn't support all of the features for v3.x. For example, Jadite does not have gui support for creating Rowan projects and packages, but Rowan has a pretty extensive api, and you can write doits to fill in the blanks.

If you want to play with Rowan in this rough state, then I recommend that you download a 3.6.1 rowan extent[1] , Oscar3.1.1pre-release1[4] and take it for a spin with 3.6.1.

Caveat emptor, consider this  an early pre-Alpha! Upgrade support and documentation will not be provided until it is officially released and not all of the features that I consider required are functional). With that said we would appreciate feedback, so feel free to submit feedback for Rowan here[2] and Jadeite here[3].

If you (or anyone else) decides to take an early tour of Rowan, please drop me a line and tell me what you are thinking of doing and I will provide you with basic instructions for doing what you want to do or tell you that it's not ready for that:).

Now is a good time for providing feedback, especially if you have certain expectations for an official GemStone development environment, because there is still room to consider feature requests for inclusion in v3 ...

Dale

On Apr 30 2021, at 1:46 am, Otto Behrens via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the update, Dale.

I am starting with upgrading to GS 3.6.1. We sometimes use Jade with GS 3.4.1 and I could not log in with Jade (it appears to stop at 3.5.0). So, I looked around and found https://github.com/GemTalk/Jadeite and there it tells me that I need a Rowan enabled GS to use it. So I gave the most recent version a try because I was under the impression I need it for 3.6.1 and Jadeite.

It is a pity the stuff does not work. We just need something (a bit easier to use) than topaz to browse code and debug.

You ship a version of Rowan with the 3.6.1 installation, which I did not try because the "installRowan" or "install_Rowan" or whatever files seem to be different to the more recent ones.

What is strange is that you don't pre-install Rowan in your extent0 / extent0.seaside, but the upgradeImage.topaz script installs Rowan. What does that mean? If I upgrade our GS databases I have some version of Rowan installed, but it does not install when I just start from extent0? Just confusing.

Sorry, I really can't spend time now on "Rowan in this rough state". I have to upgrade GS to a newer version, which is painful enough.

Regards

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 6:41 PM Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

With regards to your Jade issue, you need to download a new version of Jade whenever there is a new GemStone release as the gci libraries are included in the product download. Presumably you originally downloaded your copy of Jade after the release of 3.5.0 ... You should be able to download a recent copy of Jade to be able to log into 3.6.1 images...

With regards to Rowan being installed by upgradeImage.topaz, it is true that a symbol dictionary named RowanKernel is added to SystemUser's symbol list when upgrading to 3.6.0/3.6.1. It is also true that the RowanKernel symbol dictionary is present in SystemUser's symbol list in the 3.6.0 and 3.6.1 extent0.dbf and extent0.seaside.dbf. So, I can understand that you might think that "Rowan is installed", but it is only a very small subset of Rowan that is present and the code that is present is in support of the topaz commands TFILE and TMETHOD.

Now that I understand the full story of why you were "interested in Rowan," I completely understand that you don't have time to play with Rowan and I'm sorry for the confusion.

Dale

On May 1 2021, at 10:24 pm, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Dale, that clarifies things a bit. It may also add to the confusion if you ship the directory GemStone64Bit3.6.1-x86_64.Linux/upgrade/projects/Rowan which appears to be more than the "very small subset" that you install / support.

Please remind me where I can find the Jade download, there does not seem to be a directory under https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/pub

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 6:53 AM Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As Dale says, you need to get a new version of Jade to get the latest libraries. While I don’t have a new version for 3.6.1 it is likely that you can connect to a 3.6.1 database with a 3.6.0 client (not always safe, but worth a try if you don’t want to wait for the update). I’ll try to get out a new version of Jade soon!

James

On May 2, 2021, at 9:53 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It looks like the latest version of Jade is here[1] and according to the release message it includes support for 3.5.5 (February) ... since 3.6.1 was just released, James must not have published a version of Jade for 3.6.1 yet ... I'm pretty sure that Jade supports 3.6.0, so it should be just a matter of time before 3.6.1 support is released. James is usually pretty quick on the uptake when new GemStone versions are released. You might submit an issue here[2] to find out the status of 3.6.1 support.

Dale

On May 2 2021, at 10:00 pm, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello,

well I am working with 3.6.1 already and I use the Jade version already available (2.4.9) which allows via the 3.6.0 libraries a connect.

Marten
Otto Behrens via Glass <[hidden email]> hat am 02.05.2021 07:24 geschrieben: