Ruby SmaCC parser

SergeStinckwich
I remember there was some interests here about analyzing Ruby programs
with MOOSE, and apparently there is a complete Ruby parser done with
SmaCC (Smalltalk/X version):
https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/projects/smallruby

Look inside the svn repository to find the code. I dunno the licence.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)

Re: Ruby SmaCC parser

Thierry Goubier
Hi Serge,

one could ask Jan Vrany about it :). Jan, is that Ok if someone reuse this code (as in adding a Ruby parser to the SmaCC collection) ?

Thierry

I remember there was some interests here about analyzing Ruby programs
with MOOSE, and apparently there is a complete Ruby parser done with
SmaCC (Smalltalk/X version):
https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/projects/smallruby

Look inside the svn repository to find the code. I dunno the licence.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Ruby SmaCC parser

Jan Vrany
Hi,

yes, that's perfectly fine!
However, calling it "a complete Ruby parser done with SmaCC" is
bit too optimistic. It is not complete and never was. Ruby's quite
challenging with that respect (well, in many in fact :-)

If it's for analysis (i.e., you want to build FAMIX model and then analyse it),
If I were you I'd just use a Ruby parser in Ruby (there are many), let it spit out
sexprs and parse them in Smalltalk and make FAMIX model out of that.

If you manage to fix the SmaCC parser, I;d be __very__ interested. Please
let me know.

Good luck!

Jan

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,

one could ask Jan Vrany about it :). Jan, is that Ok if someone reuse this code (as in adding a Ruby parser to the SmaCC collection) ?

Thierry

I remember there was some interests here about analyzing Ruby programs
with MOOSE, and apparently there is a complete Ruby parser done with
SmaCC (Smalltalk/X version):
https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/projects/smallruby

Look inside the svn repository to find the code. I dunno the licence.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Ruby SmaCC parser

Thierry Goubier
Hi Jan,

yes, that's perfectly fine!

Thanks.

However, calling it "a complete Ruby parser done with SmaCC" is
bit too optimistic. It is not complete and never was. Ruby's quite
challenging with that respect (well, in many in fact :-)

I saw that there are a lot of unimplemented stuff in the grammar... or at least messages saying so :)

If it's for analysis (i.e., you want to build FAMIX model and then analyse it),
If I were you I'd just use a Ruby parser in Ruby (there are many), let it spit out
sexprs and parse them in Smalltalk and make FAMIX model out of that.

If you manage to fix the SmaCC parser, I;d be __very__ interested. Please
let me know.

I will if I do.

Good luck!

Thanks,

Thierry

Jan

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,

one could ask Jan Vrany about it :). Jan, is that Ok if someone reuse this code (as in adding a Ruby parser to the SmaCC collection) ?

Thierry

I remember there was some interests here about analyzing Ruby programs
with MOOSE, and apparently there is a complete Ruby parser done with
SmaCC (Smalltalk/X version):
https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/projects/smallruby

Look inside the svn repository to find the code. I dunno the licence.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Ruby SmaCC parser

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Jan, hi Thierry,

Thanks for this.

What is the license of the existing parser? Is it MIT?

Cheers,
Doru

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 2:28 PM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jan,

> yes, that's perfectly fine!
>
> Thanks.
>
> However, calling it "a complete Ruby parser done with SmaCC" is
> bit too optimistic. It is not complete and never was. Ruby's quite
> challenging with that respect (well, in many in fact :-)
>
> I saw that there are a lot of unimplemented stuff in the grammar... or at least messages saying so :)
>
> If it's for analysis (i.e., you want to build FAMIX model and then analyse it),
> If I were you I'd just use a Ruby parser in Ruby (there are many), let it spit out
> sexprs and parse them in Smalltalk and make FAMIX model out of that.
>
> If you manage to fix the SmaCC parser, I;d be __very__ interested. Please
> let me know.
>
> I will if I do.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thierry
>

> Jan
>

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Serge,
>>
>> one could ask Jan Vrany about it :). Jan, is that Ok if someone reuse this code (as in adding a Ruby parser to the SmaCC collection) ?
>>
>> Thierry

>> I remember there was some interests here about analyzing Ruby programs
>> with MOOSE, and apparently there is a complete Ruby parser done with
>> SmaCC (Smalltalk/X version):
>> https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/projects/smallruby
>>
>> Look inside the svn repository to find the code. I dunno the licence.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: Ruby SmaCC parser

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Jan Vrany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yes, that's perfectly fine!
> However, calling it "a complete Ruby parser done with SmaCC" is
> bit too optimistic. It is not complete and never was. Ruby's quite
> challenging with that respect (well, in many in fact :-)

Sorry I was maybe a little bit optimistic here :-)

> If it's for analysis (i.e., you want to build FAMIX model and then analyse
> it),
> If I were you I'd just use a Ruby parser in Ruby (there are many), let it
> spit out
> sexprs and parse them in Smalltalk and make FAMIX model out of that.
>
> If you manage to fix the SmaCC parser, I;d be __very__ interested. Please
> let me know.

This is more to add to the exiting collections of Parser of Thierry.
Thank you.