Running Alien on Windows

Torsten Bergmann
Bouraqadi Noury wrote on pharo-dev
>We have trouble running alien on Windows. Starting from a clean pharo
>1.0 image and the latest VM,

Would not work out of the box with the VM since it requires
VM changes. Marco ported them from Newspeak
and made them available [1]. Tests went green and
he is sucessfully using Alien on Windows. But it is not yet
in the official Squeak VM (which is 4.0.2.).

There is also an issue for pharo [2] and an issue for
VM developers [3] to follow progress.

So the code is there and is ready for integration.
Andreas asked for the license [4], Marco answered
that code was from Newspeak [5].

After that we got a good response from John McIntosh
on the license issue [6] which should be OK now.
(Dont know, I'm not a lawyer)

After I asked Andreas again he answered that it is not
highest priority for him which I understood since
Squeak 4.1 was in preparation. See last response
regarding this [7]

Dont know what should be the next steps to get Alien
into the Win32-VM code base. Maybe Andreas could tell
you more.

As a workaround you could use the source provided
by Marco to build your own unofficial VM - however
you would have to reintegrate anytime Andreas makes
a new release...

Bye
T.

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/003983.html
[2] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1360
[3] http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7475
[4] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004034.html
[5] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004037.html
[6] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004054.html
[7] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-
March/004103.html

Re: [Vm-dev] Running Alien on Windows

Andreas.Raab
Hi Torsten -

Thanks for cc-ing vm-dev; I wouldn't have seen this post otherwise. I've
actually looked at the code since and there's some good news here: It
appears that there's no actual modification of the Windows support code
necessary to use Alien. The only difference is a flag in sqWin32Window.c
which for all intents and purposes appears to be completely unused.

That leaves the question of how to deal with the patches to the VMMaker
code base. As you know, my "official" VMs are always built from the
"official" sources (i.e., the latest VMMaker package on
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.html) and if you'd like to help
getting Alien support into the standard builds we should figure out how
to integrate these patches.

Perhaps David and/or Eliot can help? From my perspective this issue
doesn't really belong with the Windows VM but rather with the VMMaker
package. I just build whatever is in there, so if Alien support is in,
then I'll build it together with everything else.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 4/20/2010 10:24 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Bouraqadi Noury wrote on pharo-dev
>> We have trouble running alien on Windows. Starting from a clean pharo
>> 1.0 image and the latest VM,
>
> Would not work out of the box with the VM since it requires
> VM changes. Marco ported them from Newspeak
> and made them available [1]. Tests went green and
> he is sucessfully using Alien on Windows. But it is not yet
> in the official Squeak VM (which is 4.0.2.).
>
> There is also an issue for pharo [2] and an issue for
> VM developers [3] to follow progress.
>
> So the code is there and is ready for integration.
> Andreas asked for the license [4], Marco answered
> that code was from Newspeak [5].
>
> After that we got a good response from John McIntosh
> on the license issue [6] which should be OK now.
> (Dont know, I'm not a lawyer)
>
> After I asked Andreas again he answered that it is not
> highest priority for him which I understood since
> Squeak 4.1 was in preparation. See last response
> regarding this [7]
>
> Dont know what should be the next steps to get Alien
> into the Win32-VM code base. Maybe Andreas could tell
> you more.
>
> As a workaround you could use the source provided
> by Marco to build your own unofficial VM - however
> you would have to reintegrate anytime Andreas makes
> a new release...
>
> Bye
> T.
>
> [1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/003983.html
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1360
> [3] http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7475
> [4] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004034.html
> [5] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004037.html
> [6] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004054.html
> [7] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-
> March/004103.html

Re: Running Alien on Windows

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Thanx Torsten. I used the VM provided by Marco and it woked well.
I run a few Pharo kernel tests and got them green.

Do you know any limitations of this old VM (based on 3.11.5) /
incompatiblities with Pharo ?
Or, are there some major improvement done since a month. The current
windows VM is 4.0.2...

Noury

On 20 avr. 10, at 19:24, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Bouraqadi Noury wrote on pharo-dev
>> We have trouble running alien on Windows. Starting from a clean pharo
>> 1.0 image and the latest VM,
>
> Would not work out of the box with the VM since it requires
> VM changes. Marco ported them from Newspeak
> and made them available [1]. Tests went green and
> he is sucessfully using Alien on Windows. But it is not yet
> in the official Squeak VM (which is 4.0.2.).
>
> There is also an issue for pharo [2] and an issue for
> VM developers [3] to follow progress.
>
> So the code is there and is ready for integration.
> Andreas asked for the license [4], Marco answered
> that code was from Newspeak [5].
>
> After that we got a good response from John McIntosh
> on the license issue [6] which should be OK now.
> (Dont know, I'm not a lawyer)
>
> After I asked Andreas again he answered that it is not
> highest priority for him which I understood since
> Squeak 4.1 was in preparation. See last response
> regarding this [7]
>
> Dont know what should be the next steps to get Alien
> into the Win32-VM code base. Maybe Andreas could tell
> you more.
>
> As a workaround you could use the source provided
> by Marco to build your own unofficial VM - however
> you would have to reintegrate anytime Andreas makes
> a new release...
>
> Bye
> T.
>
> [1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/003983.html
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1360
> [3] http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7475
> [4] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004034.html
> [5] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004037.html
> [6] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004054.html
> [7] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-
> March/004103.html

Re: [Vm-dev] Running Alien on Windows

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:23:36PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 4/20/2010 10:24 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> >
> >Dont know what should be the next steps to get Alien
> >into the Win32-VM code base. Maybe Andreas could tell
> >you more.
>
> Perhaps David and/or Eliot can help? From my perspective this issue
> doesn't really belong with the Windows VM but rather with the VMMaker
> package. I just build whatever is in there, so if Alien support is in,
> then I'll build it together with everything else.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Yes, I'll be glad to help. I'll look at it as soon as possible (probably
not until this weekend though).

Dave