Running Amber locally with SSL

sergio_101
Hi, All..

I am looking at writing a Facebook app using Amber, but one of the things i need to be able to do is run the app SSL even in locally.

Does anyone have any pointers on doing this?

Thanks!

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

Amber Smalltalk mailing list
Hello Sergio,

if I understand it correctly you want to run an Amber app locally via HTTPS.

In this case you need to install a webserver or have one running which serves the directory of your Amber app via HTTPS.
If I am correct, the Amber development server (started via 'amber serve') does currently not support HTTPS connections.
It should be possible to add this feature, but in general the Amber development server should not be used to actually run applications.

Best,
Manfred

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:23 PM, sergio ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, All..

I am looking at writing a Facebook app using Amber, but one of the things i need to be able to do is run the app SSL even in locally.

Does anyone have any pointers on doing this?

Thanks!

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

Mir S.
If you use a Mac you can download WebDAVNav from the Mac App Store. You can serve/develop your amber app from it and it supports adding certificates and https.

Pe 16 ian. 2016, la 01:26, 'Manfred Kröhnert' via amber-lang <[hidden email]> a scris:

Hello Sergio,

if I understand it correctly you want to run an Amber app locally via HTTPS.

In this case you need to install a webserver or have one running which serves the directory of your Amber app via HTTPS.
If I am correct, the Amber development server (started via 'amber serve') does currently not support HTTPS connections.
It should be possible to add this feature, but in general the Amber development server should not be used to actually run applications.

Best,
Manfred

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:23 PM, sergio ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, All..

I am looking at writing a Facebook app using Amber, but one of the things i need to be able to do is run the app SSL even in locally.

Does anyone have any pointers on doing this?

Thanks!

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

sergio_101

> If you use a Mac you can download WebDAVNav from the Mac App Store. You can serve/develop your amber app from it and it supports adding certificates and https.

this makes sense.. i might just use nginx for this, as i have been wanting to run this for awhile..

thanks!

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

sergio_101
hmm.. if i set up nginx to just serve up the project directory, would that be equivalent to running 'amber serve'?

would this reflect the latest state of my code, or would there need to be some sort of 'restart' or 'reload' so assure nginx is running the latest version?

thanks!

If you use a Mac you can download WebDAVNav from the Mac App Store. You can serve/develop your amber app from it and it supports adding certificates and https.

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

Amber Smalltalk mailing list
Hi Sergio,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 5:52 PM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:
hmm.. if i set up nginx to just serve up the project directory, would that be equivalent to running 'amber serve'?

no, it is not exactly the same.
The main difference would be that you will probably only be able to run the application but not develop it without further configuration.

'amber serve' basically implements a minimal WebDAV server which allows you to push data back to the server.

would this reflect the latest state of my code, or would there need to be some sort of 'restart' or 'reload' so assure nginx is running the latest version?

Not sure what you exactly mean.
An Amber application is HTML and JS and any webserver will serve the latest files from a directory, unless there is some kind of caching interferes.

Best,
Manfred

thanks!

If you use a Mac you can download WebDAVNav from the Mac App Store. You can serve/develop your amber app from it and it supports adding certificates and https.

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

sergio_101

no, it is not exactly the same.
The main difference would be that you will probably only be able to run the application but not develop it without further configuration.

gotcha..

now i get it.. i didn't know the server was running webdav..

i got webdavnav running on my machine, and it's running https just fine now..

thanks!

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

Mir S.
For development on your own box it's just too complex.

If you setup a separate box or vm to run development then yes it's fine.

Pe 18 ian. 2016, la 18:10, sergio ruiz <[hidden email]> a scris:

>> If you use a Mac you can download WebDAVNav from the Mac App Store. You can serve/develop your amber app from it and it supports adding certificates and https.
>
> this makes sense.. i might just use nginx for this, as i have been wanting to run this for awhile..
>
> thanks!

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

Mir S.
You need to serve it as a webdav enabled site.

Pe 18 ian. 2016, la 18:52, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> a scris:

hmm.. if i set up nginx to just serve up the project directory, would that be equivalent to running 'amber serve'?

would this reflect the latest state of my code, or would there need to be some sort of 'restart' or 'reload' so assure nginx is running the latest version?

thanks!

If you use a Mac you can download WebDAVNav from the Mac App Store. You can serve/develop your amber app from it and it supports adding certificates and https.

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

sergio_101
got it working..

thanks!

You need to serve it as a webdav enabled site.

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

Amber Smalltalk mailing list
HI Sergio,

great to hear that you got your setup running.

Could you possibly share your configuration so that others could follow your route?
That would be really great.

Thanks,
Manfred

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 2:28 PM, sergio_101 <[hidden email]> wrote:
got it working..

thanks!

You need to serve it as a webdav enabled site.

Re: Running Amber locally with SSL

sergio_101
Sure!

let me see if i can put something up on medium over the next few days..