Running EMSRV on Windows Server 2012R2

Steven LaFavor
The company here is migrating servers from 2008 to 2012, and we are trying to move the smalltalk repositories from one machine to another.

In trying to install the EMSRV process on the new machine (I'm using the one that was distributed with 8.6.3), I am using the following line:

emsrv -install -mp -rn -s2 -lf -W E:\emsrv -u *userid* -p *password*.

The userid used has admin rights on the server.

The service installs, but when I try to run it, I get a screen that says the service started then stopped.

The emsrv.log file created in the E:\emsrv directory has the following line in it:

INFO basicWinsockCleanUp EMSRV Winsock cleanup error.  OS error 10093: Either the application has not called WSAStartup, or WSAStartup failed.

Any ideas??

*Steve*

Re: Running EMSRV on Windows Server 2012R2

Steven LaFavor
Ok.  I've found a few problems.

First, specifying the -lf parameter without an argument causes a problem because the parser assumes that the next argument is a file name. I thought that it was also used as a boolean parameter (-lf for file logging, -lc for console logging, -ls for stdout).  Turns out that -lf is the default, and that you only need to use it if you want to change the name of the file.

In reading further stuff in the EMSRV docs, it talks about making sure that the EMSRV account that you use has the authority to "Log on as a service".  That got me past the WINSOCK issue.