Running GOODS from Dolphin

Sebastián Sastre
Hi all,

    I been using squeak for a while and making some test with the GOODS -
General Object Oriented Database, it's a simple, transparent and elegant
persistence solution.

    Before porting the code to Dolphin ST, I would like to know if there is
a way to control (administer the goods server) programatically. To start
ones needs to run it I had succesfully running it with a modified
>>shellOpen method to hide the window with SW_HIDE(because one don't want
the ugly dos terminal open with goods on the final application).

    Running like this, the task manager shows the process up and runnig
(without a terminal) but I don't know how to shut it down. As killing the
windows process crash the service (that normally recovers fine) is not the
most elegant thing to do, I wonder if someone has any clue of how to do this
in a better way.

    By the way, anybody has already ported the goods client to dolphin?

    Best regards,

--
Sebastián Sastre
[hidden email]

Re: Running GOODS from Dolphin

Chris Uppal-3
Sebastián Sastre wrote:

>     Running like this, the task manager shows the process up and runnig
> (without a terminal) but I don't know how to shut it down. As killing the
> windows process crash the service (that normally recovers fine) is not the
> most elegant thing to do, I wonder if someone has any clue of how to do
> this in a better way.

I think the natural way would be to run it as a Windows service.  Does it have
an option to run like that anyway ?  Or maybe you could add one, and send it
back to <damn, I forgotton his name>.

    -- chris

Re: Running GOODS from Dolphin

Sebastián Sastre
"Chris Uppal" <[hidden email]> escribió en el
mensaje news:[hidden email]...
> Sebastián Sastre wrote:
>
> >     Running like this, the task manager shows the process up and runnig
> > (without a terminal) but I don't know how to shut it down. As killing
the
> > windows process crash the service (that normally recovers fine) is not
the
> > most elegant thing to do, I wonder if someone has any clue of how to do
> > this in a better way.
>
> I think the natural way would be to run it as a Windows service.  Does it
have
> an option to run like that anyway ?  Or maybe you could add one, and send
it
> back to <damn, I forgotton his name>.

This server is a binary file intended to be multiplatform (for examplo: for
an intranet I'm running it on a linux). So they make it very raw in terms of
interface. It's more likely that I'll have to tell windows that run that exe
with some parameters as a service, and then try to start it up - shut it
down, from the dolphin app.
Do you know how to tell win XP/2000 (perhaps 98) how to run an exe as a
service?  do you know where can I look to acomplish this?

regards,

--
Sebastián Sastre
[hidden email]
www.seaswork.com.ar

Re: Running GOODS from Dolphin

Bill Schwab-2
Sebastián,

> This server is a binary file intended to be multiplatform (for examplo:
for
> an intranet I'm running it on a linux). So they make it very raw in terms
of
> interface. It's more likely that I'll have to tell windows that run that
exe
> with some parameters as a service, and then try to start it up - shut it
> down, from the dolphin app.
> Do you know how to tell win XP/2000 (perhaps 98) how to run an exe as a
> service?  do you know where can I look to acomplish this?

Start with my ServiceControl package, which is a wrapper for srvany.exe,
which might do what you want.  The loose methods in the package should get
you going.  Note that you have the opportunity to clobber a machine by
messing around the services, and the registry in general.

I also posted a disable patch a couple of days ago.  Hopefully, that will
pave the way for other in-place changes to existing services (in general, I
delete and re-create).  I have not bothered with starting and stopping
services from Dolphin, but feel free to send me changes for it :)

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Sebastián Sastre wrote:

> This server is a binary file intended to be multiplatform (for examplo:
> for an intranet I'm running it on a linux). So they make it very raw in
> terms of interface. It's more likely that I'll have to tell windows that
> run that exe with some parameters as a service, and then try to start it
> up - shut it down, from the dolphin app.

Well GOODs is open source -- or even Open Source ? -- so writing a different
main() that knows how to run the server as a Windows service is not impossible
(if your C and Windows skills are up to it).  And if you did write such a
thing, then I suspect that the GOODs people would welcome the code as a useful
addition for Windows users.

However, if you can't, or simply don't want to, do that, then:

> Do you know how to tell win XP/2000 (perhaps 98) how to run an exe as a
> service?  do you know where can I look to acomplish this?

There's a program called svrany.exe which does just that.  There are versions
on the NT and W2K resource kits, and I'd guess there's a version on the WinXP
resource kit too.  As far as I can remember, there's no equivalent of a
"service" for W98.  Bill has already mentioned his wrapper for accessing svrany
from Dolphin.

Incidentally, this is a problem that I imagine anyone using GOODs on Windows
will have faced, so you may be able to find more info in some GOODs related
forum (if there is one ;-).

    -- chris