Running Pharo on a headless Ubuntu server

Running Pharo on a headless Ubuntu server

Jan van de Sandt
Hello,

I am trying to run a Pharo Seaside image on an Ubunbtu 10.04 server. When I start the image like this

squeak -mmap 256m -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null seaside3.0rc.image

I get the following errors:

found gettext in path /srv/seaside libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory squeak: could not find any display driver /usr/bin/squeak: line 277: 7499 Aborted $VM "$1" "$2"

Does anybody know the minimal set of packages I need to install before I can run a headless image?

Jan.

Re: Running Pharo on a headless Ubuntu server

Ramon Leon-5
On 8/26/2010 1:42 PM, Jan van de Sandt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run a Pharo Seaside image on an Ubunbtu 10.04 server.
> When I start the image like this
>
> squeak -mmap 256m -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null seaside3.0rc.image

Did you try...

squeak -mmap 256m -headless -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null
seaside3.0rc.image

--
Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Running Pharo on a headless Ubuntu server

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Jan,

On 26 Aug 2010, at 22:42, Jan van de Sandt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run a Pharo Seaside image on an Ubunbtu 10.04 server. When I start the image like this
>
> squeak -mmap 256m -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null seaside3.0rc.image
>
> I get the following errors:
>
> found gettext in path
> /srv/seaside
> libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> squeak: could not find any display driver
> /usr/bin/squeak: line 277:  7499 Aborted                 $VM "$1" "$2"
>

> Does anybody know the minimal set of packages I need to install before I can run a headless image?
>
> Jan.

The command line options are OK and should work.
You could try running the squeak-vm directly (/usr/bin/squeak is a shell script).
On Ubuntu it is in /usr/lib/squeak/4.0.3-2202/squeakvm (or some other version).

I installed these on Ubuntu 10.04.1, but I am not sure they are needed (I just did to get rid of the warnings).

sudo apt-get install libsm6
sudo apt-get install libaudio2
sudo apt-get install libpulse0
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa

On a server they are not really needed.

HTH,

Sven

Re: Running Pharo on a headless Ubuntu server

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Ramon Leon wrote:

> On 8/26/2010 1:42 PM, Jan van de Sandt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to run a Pharo Seaside image on an Ubunbtu 10.04 server.
>> When I start the image like this
>>
>> squeak -mmap 256m -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null seaside3.0rc.image
>
> Did you try...
>
> squeak -mmap 256m -headless -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null
> seaside3.0rc.image

"-headless" in this form means "-vm-display-X11 -headless" which is not
what Jan needs. It's also deprecated in this form (without explicit
-vm-display-X11). Because it causes a lot of confusion it should be
removed ASAP IMO.

Levente

> --
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Running Pharo on a headless Ubuntu server

Jan van de Sandt
Hello,

When I run squeakvm directly it works! Thanks for the tip.

Jan.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jan,

On 26 Aug 2010, at 22:42, Jan van de Sandt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run a Pharo Seaside image on an Ubunbtu 10.04 server. When I start the image like this
>
> squeak -mmap 256m -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null seaside3.0rc.image
>
> I get the following errors:
>
> found gettext in path
> /srv/seaside
> libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> squeak: could not find any display driver
> /usr/bin/squeak: line 277:  7499 Aborted                 $VM "$1" "$2"
>

> Does anybody know the minimal set of packages I need to install before I can run a headless image?
>
> Jan.

The command line options are OK and should work.
You could try running the squeak-vm directly (/usr/bin/squeak is a shell script).
On Ubuntu it is in /usr/lib/squeak/4.0.3-2202/squeakvm (or some other version).

I installed these on Ubuntu 10.04.1, but I am not sure they are needed (I just did to get rid of the warnings).

sudo apt-get install libsm6
sudo apt-get install libaudio2
sudo apt-get install libpulse0
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa