Running a VW image on a Slicehost server

Running a VW image on a Slicehost server

Maarten Mostert-2
Hi,

I am trying to run a stripped and headless VW-seaside image on a Slicehost.com  Ubuntu 9.04 server.

This image runs fine on a local Ubuntu 9.04 but on the Slicehost server it continues to give the
 "No such file or directory" message on starting it up.

The situation is the same If I try to deploy on Fedora 10.

Is there anay explanation for this ? missing libraries or something.

Best regards,

@+Maarten,

Re: Running a VW image on a Slicehost server

Patrick Shouse
I ran into the same issue with the Squeak VM. The Slicehost installation doesn't include the 32-bit libraries. You'll need to install them to get the VM running.

Maarten Mostert wrote
Hi,

I am trying to run a stripped and headless VW-seaside image on a Slicehost.com  Ubuntu 9.04 server.

This image runs fine on a local Ubuntu 9.04 but on the Slicehost server it continues to give the
 "No such file or directory" message on starting it up.

The situation is the same If I try to deploy on Fedora 10.

Is there anay explanation for this ? missing libraries or something.

Best regards,

@+Maarten,

Re: Running a VW image on a Slicehost server

cdavidshaffer
Maarten MOSTERT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run a stripped and headless VW-seaside image on a
> Slicehost.com  Ubuntu 9.04 server.
>
> This image runs fine on a local Ubuntu 9.04 but on the Slicehost
> server it continues to give the
>  "No such file or directory" message on starting it up.
>
> The situation is the same If I try to deploy on Fedora 10.
>
> Is there anay explanation for this ? missing libraries or something.
>
> Best regards,
>
> @+Maarten,
As suggested, this is probably a 32-bit versus 64-bit problem.  You can
use the (alpha?) 64-bit image included with VW7.6 (look in the "preview"
directory).  I have a student hosting a VW app on slicehost and I know
he struggled with this a bit.  I think in the end he deployed his
application as parcels from his development image (on a 32 bit machine),
and loads the parcels into the 64bit image through the -pcl command line
option at server startup.  He hasn't had any problems as far as I know.

David

Re: Running a VW image on a Slicehost server

Alan Knight-2
At 11:55 AM 7/11/2009, C. David Shaffer wrote:
Maarten MOSTERT wrote:
[...]

If he hasn't had problems, he's lucky :-)   We've done quite a lot of work on the 64-bit support in 7.7. If he's going to use it, I'd suggest using the 7.7 versions from vw-dev, or just sticking with the 32-bit. For whatever reason, Ubuntu 32-bit doesn't install the required 32-bit libraries by default and you have to add them. The incantation to do so was posted in one of the mailing lists. I can dig it up if no one more Unix-knowledgeable knows it offhand.

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Running a VW image on a Slicehost server

Patrick Shouse
Try this
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Alan Knight-2 wrote

knight@acm.org
aknight@cincom.com
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

Re: Running a VW image on a Slicehost server

Maarten Mostert-2
Thanks a lot,

Installing these libraries worked immediately.

@+Maarten,

Alan Knight wrote:

> If he hasn't had problems, he's lucky :-)   We've done quite a lot of
> work on the 64-bit support in 7.7. If he's going to use it, I'd
> suggest using the 7.7 versions from vw-dev, or just sticking with the
> 32-bit. For whatever reason, Ubuntu 32-bit doesn't install the
> required 32-bit libraries by default and you have to add them. The
> incantation to do so was posted in one of the mailing lists. I can dig
> it up if no one more Unix-knowledgeable knows it offhand.

:-) Or silently suffering.  I'll send him a link to this thread.  Thanks!

David