Running amber on Heroku's node system

Andy Burnett
Has anyone managed to get this to run?  I get an error message saying that no web server was started.  I did create a procfile with

web: node ./server/server

But it still won't play.  Any thoughts?

Cheers
Andy

Re: Running amber on Heroku's node system

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

I never tried it. could you explain what you did to try to get it running?

Nico

On Apr 10, 2013, at 1:52 AM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Has anyone managed to get this to run?  I get an error message saying that no web server was started.  I did create a procfile with

web: node ./server/server

But it still won't play.  Any thoughts?

Cheers
Andy

Re: Running amber on Heroku's node system

Andy Burnett
Basically, I followed their 'getting started' instructions which are:

Their demo app does run, so that part of their instructions work. I can also get Amber to run, locally, by using the Foreman Start instructions. However, when I try to run it on Heroku, the logs say that no web process is running. I imagine I have left out something obvious. Maybe it is the Procfile doesn't have the right instructions. I have set it to

web: node ./server/server

It would be great if we could make this work.

Cheers
Andy

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I never tried it. could you explain what you did to try to get it running?

Nico

On Apr 10, 2013, at 1:52 AM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Has anyone managed to get this to run?  I get an error message saying that no web server was started.  I did create a procfile with

web: node ./server/server

But it still won't play.  Any thoughts?

Cheers
Andy

Re: Running amber on Heroku's node system

Andy Burnett
Still can't get Heroku to work, but... I am now running Amber on nodejitsu!  It was necessary to make a couple of changes to the package.json file. The critical one is that the Start script must reference ./server/server.js  - the default doesn't seem to include the '.js' on the end.

It seems to run nicely, although I couldn't save my changes on one of the example apps. I think that is a problem at my end, so I will look into this a bit more.

On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:58:38 AM UTC-4, Andy Burnett wrote:
[...]

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Andy,

the server script [1] mentioned in the package.json file is actually a Bash script which is located in 'bin'.
This could be the reason why you needed to change it.

Also note that we might change how the tools like Amber-Server, Amber-Repl and so on work.

Best,
Manfred

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Manfred,

That makes sense.  And, I wonder what it is about the files that are stopping Heroku from running the web service.  Oh well, at least it runs on another hosting service, and that is good enough for now :-)

Cheers