S8 - Smalltalk on the "Invisible Machine"

S8 - Smalltalk on the "Invisible Machine"

Alejandro F. Reimondo
Hi,
On January,2011 I started a new platform to run my
 smalltalk frameworks efficiently on top of a modern,
 robust and mantained VM...
The VM is implemented in C++, run in multiple platforms,
 generate eficient machine code, do not use bytecodes,
 is mantained and developed by Google, and a wide
 community of users writing enhancements and adaptions.

I called the platform S8; it is a smalltalk running on top
 of V8 the Google's javascript VM.
The platform is open and let us extend/adapt the VM
 to your needs and support full smalltalks semantics.

In mid-june,2011 I released a Proof of Concept version of
 the S8 platform to show my sponsors that it is possible
 to run efficiently smalltalk on top of that VM with API
 calls and other interesting features to make easy the
 migration of systems from other smalltalk dialects.
This way to run smalltalk in a three layer architecture, give
 the smalltalker more visibility of the execution machinery
 (most primitives are written in smalltalk and/or javascript;
 a few services are implemented as VM addition/enhancements).

All the layers of the architecture are object oriented and
 open source; so it is easy to modify at any level
 to build/migrate apps to any target.
I am currently migrating frameworks (and applications)
 written with VSE years back as demostration of applications
 that run as windows desktop app (32bits), command line 64bits,
 embedded in web browser, and running in Android devices
 (with transparent integration with native java,
 at Android's SDK level).

It would be nice to know who is interested in considering
 the platform for migration and/or develoment of new products
 in smalltalk.
I am currently defining license terms, official date of birth
 and planning presentations of the platform in diferent latitudes.

Any question, help and/or comments will be really appreciated.
w/best regards,
Ale.
http://www.aleReimondo.com

***           this signature added by listserv             ***
*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: S8 - Smalltalk on the "Invisible Machine"

Claus Kick
So what happened to DNG?

--
Claus Kick

"Wenn Sie mich suchen: Ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf.
Genauer gesagt auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik.
Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst, nicht weit weg von Irrwitz und Idiotie."

"If you are looking for me: I am somewhere near to lunacy.
More clearly, on the narrow path between lunacy and panic.
Right around the corner of  fear of death,
not far away from idiocy and insanity."

>On January,2011 I started a new platform to run my
> smalltalk frameworks efficiently on top of a modern,
> robust and mantained VM...
>The VM is implemented in C++, run in multiple platforms,
> generate eficient machine code, do not use bytecodes,
> is mantained and developed by Google, and a wide
> community of users writing enhancements and adaptions.
>
>I called the platform S8; it is a smalltalk running on top
> of V8 the Google's javascript VM.
>The platform is open and let us extend/adapt the VM
> to your needs and support full smalltalks semantics.
>
>In mid-june,2011 I released a Proof of Concept version of
> the S8 platform to show my sponsors that it is possible
> to run efficiently smalltalk on top of that VM with API
> calls and other interesting features to make easy the
> migration of systems from other smalltalk dialects.
>This way to run smalltalk in a three layer architecture, give
> the smalltalker more visibility of the execution machinery
> (most primitives are written in smalltalk and/or javascript;
> a few services are implemented as VM addition/enhancements).
>
>All the layers of the architecture are object oriented and
> open source; so it is easy to modify at any level
> to build/migrate apps to any target.
>I am currently migrating frameworks (and applications)
> written with VSE years back as demostration of applications
> that run as windows desktop app (32bits), command line 64bits,
> embedded in web browser, and running in Android devices
> (with transparent integration with native java,
> at Android's SDK level).
>
>It would be nice to know who is interested in considering
> the platform for migration and/or develoment of new products
> in smalltalk.
>I am currently defining license terms, official date of birth
> and planning presentations of the platform in diferent latitudes.
>
>Any question, help and/or comments will be really appreciated.
>w/best regards,
>Ale.
>http://www.aleReimondo.com
>
>*** this signature added by listserv ***
>*** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
>*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

***           this signature added by listserv             ***
*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: S8 - Smalltalk on the "Invisible Machine"

Alejandro F. Reimondo
I don´t know.
The projects that are abruptly stoped are a mistery for me.
Who knows why "a star" can disapear in a millisecond?
Ale.

>On January,2011 I started a new platform to run my
> smalltalk frameworks efficiently on top of a modern,
> robust and mantained VM...
>The VM is implemented in C++, run in multiple platforms,
> generate eficient machine code, do not use bytecodes,
> is mantained and developed by Google, and a wide
> community of users writing enhancements and adaptions.
>
>I called the platform S8; it is a smalltalk running on top
> of V8 the Google's javascript VM.
>The platform is open and let us extend/adapt the VM
> to your needs and support full smalltalks semantics.
>
>In mid-june,2011 I released a Proof of Concept version of
> the S8 platform to show my sponsors that it is possible
> to run efficiently smalltalk on top of that VM with API
> calls and other interesting features to make easy the
> migration of systems from other smalltalk dialects.
>This way to run smalltalk in a three layer architecture, give
> the smalltalker more visibility of the execution machinery
> (most primitives are written in smalltalk and/or javascript;
> a few services are implemented as VM addition/enhancements).
>
>All the layers of the architecture are object oriented and
> open source; so it is easy to modify at any level
> to build/migrate apps to any target.
>I am currently migrating frameworks (and applications)
> written with VSE years back as demostration of applications
> that run as windows desktop app (32bits), command line 64bits,
> embedded in web browser, and running in Android devices
> (with transparent integration with native java,
> at Android's SDK level).
>
>It would be nice to know who is interested in considering
> the platform for migration and/or develoment of new products
> in smalltalk.
>I am currently defining license terms, official date of birth
> and planning presentations of the platform in diferent latitudes.
>
>Any question, help and/or comments will be really appreciated.
>w/best regards,
>Ale.
>http://www.aleReimondo.com
>
>*** this signature added by listserv ***
>*** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
>*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

***           this signature added by listserv             ***
*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

***           this signature added by listserv             ***
*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: S8 - Smalltalk on the "Invisible Machine"

Derek Renouf
Hi Ale,

The S8 project sounds very interesting. Well done getting it thus far.

Having an open source VM, which is widely adopted is a key part of ensuring that Smalltalk is continued to be actively used. Having an ability to use our current VSE windowing environment on this is also important. Having an ability to work with multi processes would also be refreshing.

For our purposes having a .NET integration would be an advantage (given the strength of the UI and other utilities available); however, having a native Java integration is certainly understandable given the nature of the VM.

-- Derek

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: S8 - Smalltalk on the "Invisible Machine"

Alejandro F. Reimondo
Hi,

> Having an open source VM, which is widely adopted is
> a key part of ensuring that Smalltalk is continued to
> be actively used.

+1

>Having an ability to use our current VSE windowing
> environment on this is also important.

Agree, I am working on a complete FFI interface support
 for S8. For desktop applications on Windows it is a must
 to have an option for dynamic binding (option to bind at
 upper level without recompiling the VM nor adding binary
 blobs to the system).

For S8 running on Android devices we have transparent
 binding to interfaces exposed by hosting java application.

>Having an ability to work with multi processes
> would also be refreshing.

All features provided by lowlevel architecture
 can be exploited at no cost from smalltalk.
Features provided by VM (v8) and/or by frameworks
 at javascript level are accesible (most of the times)
 at smalltalk level without writing wrappers;
 e.g. node.js framework to write
 efficient server-side code with S8.

> For our purposes having a .NET integration would
> be an advantage (given the strength of the UI
> and other utilities available); however, having a
> native Java integration is certainly understandable
> given the nature of the VM.

I have seen project for javascript-.Net integration
 but have not tried to use it from S8 yet.

The java integration is convenient in case of
 using S8 on Android devices. On Android,
 the SDK level are Java components and there is
 no support (at that level) of native code implementation.

The minimal implementation of S8 can run in
 multiple platforms (also with other javascript VMs)
 and all the architecture can be modified/extended
 to meet application requirements and/or moving
 an application to another platform minimizing cost
 and without loosing your smalltalk investment.

king regards,
Ale.

> The S8 project sounds very interesting. Well done getting it thus far.
>
> Having an open source VM, which is widely adopted is a key part of
> ensuring that Smalltalk is continued to be actively used. Having an
> ability to use our current VSE windowing environment on this is also
> important. Having an ability to work with multi processes would also be
> refreshing.
>
> For our purposes having a .NET integration would be an advantage (given
> the strength of the UI and other utilities available); however, having a
> native Java integration is certainly understandable given the nature of
> the VM.
>
> -- Derek

[S8] Smalltalk on windows 8

Alejandro F. Reimondo
Hello there!

As you may know Windows 8 si available as a Developer Preview [*].

Now that Microsoft revealed all about the Development
 of Metro Style Applications and make HTML5/CSS3
 and JavaScript first class citizens of the platform,
 I want to assure that S8 will be the "way to go" for
 all things Metro Style.
Next week the license terms of S8 platform
 (core architecture) will be defined to let us start
 development using Smalltalk
 on windows 8.
Right now I have come out of the standby period (waiting
 for the details of the Metro Style Apps from Microsoft)
 and I'm working hard on runnning Smalltalk on top of clean
 (and also custom) javascript execution engines. [**]
Also I need your feedback.

Thanks in advance for you time.

So, what's next for S8 Development ?
- define clear rules for using the core of the platform
- support all threads opened for exploration and development using S8
 (there are many threads opened on diferent architectures, all
 sharing common base, and using custom extensions/tunning
 according to hosting O.S./platform).
- assist and help as much as possible, communicating who
 is involved/working with S8 on any track; sharing experiencies, etc.

The goal are simple: make your apps look amazing
 and use your investment/knowledge in smalltalk.
The tools are new, our experience is our identity.

If you are a interested in working on Metro Style Applications
 or if you are looking for services or help, please contact
 me.

I'll not take more of your time,
Take good care
Ale.

[**] There are situations/applications that require
 customizarion at VM level to ensure speed and/or
 complete compatibility with smalltalk semantics.
[*] You can download the .ISO and install it on a VM
 or a disk partition to try out the new Metro Style stuff.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516/

There is information related to the creation of Metro Style
 Apps here:
http://channel9.msdn.com/events/BUILD/BUILD2011