SAR package for 3.6 beta

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
  Hello,

  I uploaded the m17n SAR package for beta.  If you're interested in
it, take a look at

http://squeaklet.com:8080/m17n/3

  The latin-1 character input is supposed to be ok.  But I need you
guys to double check.

  The TTFontDescription>>migrateSqueakToIso is included, but it
doesn't seem that it is doing what it should do.

  We have tons of projects from previous Nihongo4 image.  We need to
check loading them works ok.

  As always, any comments are welcome.

  Thank you,

-- Yoshiki

Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Diego Gomez Deck
Hi Yoshiki,

Great job!

Installing the new jar in an empty 3.6b image I got some warning on the
Transcript.  I put them in: http://squeaklet.com:8080/m17n/3

Some of them looks like packages I need in the Image before installing
(HtmlEntity, TestInterpreterPlugin and VRMLClassNode).

Q: The .jar install a .dll file, is this file required? Can the m17n stuff
work in other OS but windows?

Cheers,

Diego

PS: We need our (our=translators) mail-list.

>  Hello,
>
>  I uploaded the m17n SAR package for beta.  If you're interested in
> it, take a look at
>
> http://squeaklet.com:8080/m17n/3
>
>  The latin-1 character input is supposed to be ok.  But I need you
> guys to double check.
>
>  The TTFontDescription>>migrateSqueakToIso is included, but it
> doesn't seem that it is doing what it should do.
>
>  We have tons of projects from previous Nihongo4 image.  We need to
> check loading them works ok.
>
>  As always, any comments are welcome.
>
>  Thank you,
>
> -- Yoshiki

Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Diego Gomez Deck
2nd. report:

- When I switch to Spanish, I can't type Spanish letters (like Ñ, ñ, á, é,
í, ó and ú).  But I can when I switch to German, any tip?

- I get some deprecation-warnings when I switch the languaje.
-- Project>>setPaletteFor: --> Smalltalk imageImports (3 times)

Q: Do you prefer these reports by email?

Cheers,

Diego

Re: Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Bert Freudenberg-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> Q: Do you prefer these reports by email?

Yes, keep them up. Who is in charge of setting up an i18n/m17n-related
list? How about this:

        [hidden email]

-- Bert

Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
  Diego,

> Installing the new jar in an empty 3.6b image I got some warning on the
> Transcript.  I put them in: http://squeaklet.com:8080/m17n/3
>
> Some of them looks like packages I need in the Image before installing
> (HtmlEntity, TestInterpreterPlugin and VRMLClassNode).

  Ah, no.  You don't have to install anything.  Many stuff in the
package are from old day when the image is bigger.  I should just
remove the methods for removed classes.

> Q: The .jar install a .dll file, is this file required? Can the m17n stuff
> work in other OS but windows?

  No.  It is not required.  It is for convenience to locate the
"composition" window of Windows when you input the Japanese text.

> PS: We need our (our=translators) mail-list.

  Hmm.  I wonder if Squeak-dev might be enough.  The problem is we
don't know who will be interested in this project.  Bigger exposure
may be a good thing.

-- Yoshiki

Re: Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Michael Rueger-6
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Q: Do you prefer these reports by email?
>

> Yes, keep them up. Who is in charge of setting up an i18n/m17n-related
> list? How about this:
>
>     [hidden email]

Just did this 5 minutes ago:

I'm fine with either one.

Michael

Re: Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Bert Freudenberg-2
Michael Rueger wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Q: Do you prefer these reports by email?
>>

>> Yes, keep them up. Who is in charge of setting up an i18n/m17n-related
>> list? How about this:
>>
>>     [hidden email]
>

> Just did this 5 minutes ago:

> I'm fine with either one.
>
> Michael

Great! Now could you perhaps enable some other languages on that page? ;-)

-- Bert

Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
  Diego,

> - When I switch to Spanish, I can't type Spanish letters (like Ñ, ñ, á, é,
> í, ó and ú).  But I can when I switch to German, any tip?

  We need to create a class called Spanish, which can be just a copy
of German.  The reasoning is that we are going to want to have
language dependent case-insensitive string match functions and those
LanguageEnvironments implements such language dependent stuff.

  Also, a bit more robust default TextInputInterpreter creation is needed.

> - I get some deprecation-warnings when I switch the languaje.
> -- Project>>setPaletteFor: --> Smalltalk imageImports (3 times)

  Yes.  See the text in the workspace...

> Q: Do you prefer these reports by email?

  Yes.

  Thank you,

-- Yoshiki

Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Michael Rueger-6
Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   Diego,

>>- When I switch to Spanish, I can't type Spanish letters (like Ñ, ñ, á, é,
>>í, ó and ú).  But I can when I switch to German, any tip?
>
>   We need to create a class called Spanish, which can be just a copy
> of German.  The reasoning is that we are going to want to have
> language dependent case-insensitive string match functions and those
> LanguageEnvironments implements such language dependent stuff.

I finally had some time to take a closer look at the m17n
implementation. Do we really need classes for some of the language
stuff? My impression is that most of the conversion etc could be table
driven?

Michael

Re: [m17n] Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
  Michael,

> >>- When I switch to Spanish, I can't type Spanish letters (like Ñ, ñ, á, é,
> >>í, ó and ú).  But I can when I switch to German, any tip?
> >
> >   We need to create a class called Spanish, which can be just a copy
> > of German.  The reasoning is that we are going to want to have
> > language dependent case-insensitive string match functions and those
> > LanguageEnvironments implements such language dependent stuff.
>
> I finally had some time to take a closer look at the m17n
> implementation. Do we really need classes for some of the language
> stuff? My impression is that most of the conversion etc could be table
> driven?

  Hmm.  Let's keep those.  Various language specific methods can be there.

  We can use them as a Factory of translation dictionaries.
#primaryLanguage: and #setNaturalLanguageTo: may do some double
dispatch kind of thing based with the language argument, etc.

  If you say that they should be used more than now, yes.

-- Yoshiki

Re: [m17n] Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
  Michael,

> > I finally had some time to take a closer look at the m17n
> > implementation. Do we really need classes for some of the language
> > stuff? My impression is that most of the conversion etc could be table
> > driven?
>
>   Hmm.  Let's keep those.  Various language specific methods can be there.
>
>   We can use them as a Factory of translation dictionaries.
> #primaryLanguage: and #setNaturalLanguageTo: may do some double
> dispatch kind of thing based with the language argument, etc.
>
>   If you say that they should be used more than now, yes.

  Now, I wonder if you meant the "EncodedCharSet" subclasses, rather
than the "LanguageEnvironment" ones.  The former is even less used,
and I have to say that I don't fully know we'll need a class for each
Unicode block. (Probably not.)  But still some of them, for example
UnicodeJapanese, has some methods and will have more, so it would make
sense to keep them, I think.

-- Yoshiki