SEO and urls

sergio t. ruiz

one of the things that i wonder about as i play with seaside more and
more is..

does the format of the url really matter at all in regards to SEO?

i know alot of people are really into the idea that google can somehow
parse and make meaning out of the urls, but i would think that if you
had a sitemap of your site in the webmaster tools, it really shouldn't
matter what the urls look like..

it also seems like the stuff i look for that is on seaside sites is
indexed really well, and not lost lost in a slew of results for
"seaside vacations" or things like that..

any thoughts?

the reason i ask is that if we use seaside for production work,
clients are gonna FLIP when they see the urls..

thanks!

___
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
www.village-buzz.com

Re: SEO and urls

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Sergio,

We've discussed SEO about a month ago: http://www.nabble.com/SEO-and-Seaside-td17187198.html

Short answer: Seaside's URLs are suboptimal, but you can get
acceptable results adding restful URLs and configuring Webmaster
Tools. Depending on the requirements this may not be sufficient,
though. In our case (cmsbox.com) we tweaked Seaside a bit more to get
completely "nice" URLs.

HTH,
Adrian

On Nov 3, 2008, at 21:08 , sergio wrote:

> one of the things that i wonder about as i play with seaside more
> and more is..
>

> does the format of the url really matter at all in regards to SEO?
>
> i know alot of people are really into the idea that google can
> somehow parse and make meaning out of the urls, but i would think
> that if you had a sitemap of your site in the webmaster tools, it
> really shouldn't matter what the urls look like..
>
> it also seems like the stuff i look for that is on seaside sites is
> indexed really well, and not lost lost in a slew of results for
> "seaside vacations" or things like that..
>
> any thoughts?
>
> the reason i ask is that if we use seaside for production work,
> clients are gonna FLIP when they see the urls..
>
> thanks!
>

> ___
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
> www.village-buzz.com

Re: SEO and urls

sergio t. ruiz

On Nov 3, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Webmaster Tools. Depending on the requirements this may not be
> sufficient, though. In our case (cmsbox.com) we tweaked Seaside a
> bit more to get completely "nice" URLs.

this makes sense..

i am currently developing in rails.

in rails, you still have to write a route to get a nice url.. i am
guessing there is some sort of equivalent in seaside..

there is a link to the tutorial in that conversation, but here's one
thing that i have found in the seaside documentation that drives me
crazy.. with this tutorial in particular:

http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial

if you are working on another section like so:

http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?_k=xKRzgrsE&_s=htedMzLQzwmfWmqI

and you work on it for a little while..

when you are ready to go to the next section, and you get next.. it
looks like the session times out, and you get go right back here:

http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial

which also means that the link referred to here:

http://www.nabble.com/SEO-and-Seaside-td17187198.html

which refers to this:

http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside//tutorial?_k=ryHLiysq&_s=cKcuDxudjEFewMRq#part4

and its discussion of entry points..

just points you to the first page of the tutorial..

that is kind of a pain.

___
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
www.village-buzz.com

Re: SEO and urls

Nevin Pratt

>  In our case (cmsbox.com) we tweaked Seaside a bit more to get
> completely "nice" URLs.

Care to provide an overview of how you tweaked Seaside for that?  At
least enough to point us in the right direction?

Thanks!

Nevin

Re: SEO and urls

Lukas Renggli
> the reason i ask is that if we use seaside for production work, clients are
> gonna FLIP when they see the urls..

Seaside targets web applications, not web sites.

Although it is used for many web sites, this is definitely not its
target. Still Seaside does quite well in the context of web sites.
Little additional effort is required to make this possible.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SEO and urls

Adrian Lienhard
I did so a while ago on the Seaside-dev list.
See http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2008-August/001012.html

Adrian