SPM: a Squeak project manager

Nicolas Petton
Hi all,

I was recently working on a project called SPM (Squeak Project Manager).
It's an application to manage squeak projects, with:

- a Monticello repository accessible from the website
- a tracking system including a timeline, roadmap, milestones and
tickets (or issues)
- a wiki
- news (or blog)
- an interface to Monticello, which allows you to browse the code
online, with bookmarkable urls

Each user also has a personal page, with an editable todo, a list of all
tickets assigned to him, and the list of the recent events in the
timeline.

It's not finished yet, but we already use it for Scribo:
http://scribo.bioskop.fr

SPM is based on Aida/Scribo, and will be released under MIT licence.

Please tell me what you think.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: SPM: a Squeak project manager

Jimmie Houchin-3
Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was recently working on a project called SPM (Squeak Project Manager).
> It's an application to manage squeak projects, with:
>
> - a Monticello repository accessible from the website
> - a tracking system including a timeline, roadmap, milestones and
> tickets (or issues)
> - a wiki
> - news (or blog)
> - an interface to Monticello, which allows you to browse the code
> online, with bookmarkable urls
>
> Each user also has a personal page, with an editable todo, a list of all
> tickets assigned to him, and the list of the recent events in the
> timeline.
>
> It's not finished yet, but we already use it for Scribo:
> http://scribo.bioskop.fr
>
> SPM is based on Aida/Scribo, and will be released under MIT licence.
>
> Please tell me what you think.

Hello Nicolas,

I think this looks great. I very much prefer the community using its own
tools whenever possible. And I see little reason for the Squeak
community to use Trac, GForge, Mantis, ..., when we have the opportunity
to do better.

Those tools are fine in their context and for their people. But
Smalltalkers have a different vision, a different view of the world.

Squeaksource is an available tool. I don't know what its limits or
features are. But it drives me nuts. I hate going to a page that looks
like this:  (clicking on a link)

http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside.html

and immediately in my browser address bar it looks like this:

http://www.squeaksource.com/@JUdO3jUJUhe0Kz2A/oDQ8OLiH

To me that is not a true bookmarkable URL. Yes by definition I can use
the first and always get the correct page. But still... If you must have
the yuck at the end I would rather it be at the end of the original URL

http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside.html/@JUdO3jUJUhe0Kz2A/oDQ8OLiH

At least there we would have some consistency.

Thanks for providing this valuable option to the community. I hope it
becomes widely adopted and used. And that the community contributes back
code and ideas so that it can grow and improve.

It also demonstrates Scribo well.

Good job.

Jimmie Houchin

Le jeudi 15 mai 2008 à 09:26 -0500, Jimmie Houchin a écrit :

> Nicolas Petton wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was recently working on a project called SPM (Squeak Project Manager).
> > It's an application to manage squeak projects, with:
> >
> > - a Monticello repository accessible from the website
> > - a tracking system including a timeline, roadmap, milestones and
> > tickets (or issues)
> > - a wiki
> > - news (or blog)
> > - an interface to Monticello, which allows you to browse the code
> > online, with bookmarkable urls
> >
> > Each user also has a personal page, with an editable todo, a list of all
> > tickets assigned to him, and the list of the recent events in the
> > timeline.
> >
> > It's not finished yet, but we already use it for Scribo:
> > http://scribo.bioskop.fr
> >
> > SPM is based on Aida/Scribo, and will be released under MIT licence.
> >
> > Please tell me what you think.
>

> Hello Nicolas,
>
> I think this looks great. I very much prefer the community using its own
> tools whenever possible. And I see little reason for the Squeak
> community to use Trac, GForge, Mantis, ..., when we have the opportunity
> to do better.
>
> Those tools are fine in their context and for their people. But
> Smalltalkers have a different vision, a different view of the world.
>
> Squeaksource is an available tool. I don't know what its limits or
> features are. But it drives me nuts. I hate going to a page that looks
> like this:  (clicking on a link)
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside.html
>
> and immediately in my browser address bar it looks like this:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/@JUdO3jUJUhe0Kz2A/oDQ8OLiH
>
> To me that is not a true bookmarkable URL. Yes by definition I can use
> the first and always get the correct page. But still... If you must have
> the yuck at the end I would rather it be at the end of the original URL
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside.html/@JUdO3jUJUhe0Kz2A/oDQ8OLiH
>
> At least there we would have some consistency.
>
> Thanks for providing this valuable option to the community. I hope it
> becomes widely adopted and used. And that the community contributes back
> code and ideas so that it can grow and improve.
>
> It also demonstrates Scribo well.
>
> Good job.
Thank you Jimmie!

Nico