SSL plugin

Frank Shearar-3
Just so I can keep track of commonality between Squeak and Pharo, the
SSL plugin - is that Andreas' SqueakSSL plugin?

frank

Re: SSL plugin

EstebanLM
is the same old plugin... but now it works (it was failing) and it builds automatically :)

Esteban

On Mar 18, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just so I can keep track of commonality between Squeak and Pharo, the
> SSL plugin - is that Andreas' SqueakSSL plugin?
>
> frank

Re: SSL plugin

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 18, 2013, at 5:41 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> is the same old plugin... but now it works (it was failing) and it builds automatically :)

And I think we retired both the Mac and the Windows special implementations and
just use the Unix one on all three architectures. OpenSSL supports all.

        Marcus

> Esteban
>
> On Mar 18, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just so I can keep track of commonality between Squeak and Pharo, the
>> SSL plugin - is that Andreas' SqueakSSL plugin?
>>
>> frank

Re: SSL plugin

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 March 2013 16:41, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> is the same old plugin... but now it works (it was failing) and it builds automatically :)

What failures did it have? It's the first I've heard of any (but to be
fair I have only recently started looking at the plugin).

frank

> Esteban
>
> On Mar 18, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just so I can keep track of commonality between Squeak and Pharo, the
>> SSL plugin - is that Andreas' SqueakSSL plugin?
>>
>> frank

Re: SSL plugin

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 March 2013 16:45, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2013, at 5:41 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> is the same old plugin... but now it works (it was failing) and it builds automatically :)
>>

> And I think we retired both the Mac and the Windows special implementations and
> just use the Unix one on all three architectures. OpenSSL supports all.

Right, because the Mac and Windows ones spoke to the respective
special crypto libraries. Sounds sensible! (Also, if you support
OpenSSL you support much more than just Mac, Linux & Windows - the
BSDs use OpenSSL, for example.)

frank

>         Marcus
>
>> Esteban
>>
>> On Mar 18, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Just so I can keep track of commonality between Squeak and Pharo, the
>>> SSL plugin - is that Andreas' SqueakSSL plugin?
>>>
>>> frank

Re: SSL plugin

EstebanLM
ye, well... that... I didn't remember :) but yes, camillo and me spent couple of days rewriting the plugin to use same library in all platforms (we did the same with the file plugin, btw).

On Mar 18, 2013, at 5:50 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18 March 2013 16:45, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 18, 2013, at 5:41 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> is the same old plugin... but now it works (it was failing) and it builds automatically :)
>>>

>> And I think we retired both the Mac and the Windows special implementations and
>> just use the Unix one on all three architectures. OpenSSL supports all.
>
> Right, because the Mac and Windows ones spoke to the respective
> special crypto libraries. Sounds sensible! (Also, if you support
> OpenSSL you support much more than just Mac, Linux & Windows - the
> BSDs use OpenSSL, for example.)
>
> frank
>
>>        Marcus
>>
>>> Esteban

Re: SSL plugin

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2013-03-18, at 18:11, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ye, well... that... I didn't remember :) but yes, camillo and me spent couple of days rewriting the plugin to use same library in all platforms (we did the same with the file plugin, btw).

AFAIK we were not able to retrieve the proper header files under windows I think :D
something strange anyway ;)

> On Mar 18, 2013, at 5:50 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> And I think we retired both the Mac and the Windows special implementations and
>>> just use the Unix one on all three architectures. OpenSSL supports all.
>>
>> Right, because the Mac and Windows ones spoke to the respective
>> special crypto libraries. Sounds sensible! (Also, if you support
>> OpenSSL you support much more than just Mac, Linux & Windows - the
>> BSDs use OpenSSL, for example.)
>>
>> frank
>>
>>>       Marcus

Re: SSL plugin

Frank Shearar-3
OK, fair enough. I'm just rather curious because I've only recently
_needed_ SSL, and so it looks like Squeak will start to ship with the
plugin. Seeing as both communities share most of the VM
infrastructure, it makes sense to keep doing so. So if you guys are
happy with the cross-platform-ness of your version of the plugin, it
only makes sense to fold that upstream: Dave Lewis has already made
steps in VMMaker, but hasn't yet moved source around.

And of course the "canonical repository" at
https://code.google.com/p/squeakssl/ no longer has a maintainer.

frank