SSW EditableListView not working

tgkuo
Hi,
    I'm porting my projects from D5 to D6, which depend upon  the well
known must-have widgets, SSW EditableListView, but while installing
its package, I found it not working in D6. Maybe there need some
hard-boiled rewrite to make it compatible with D6 new environment. CU
ListTree seemed ok.

Best regards.

tsun

Re: SSW EditableListView not working

Stefan Schmiedl
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:48:25 +0800, tgkuo wrote:

> Hi,
>     I'm porting my projects from D5 to D6, which depend upon  the well
> known must-have widgets, SSW EditableListView, but while installing its
> package, I found it not working in D6. Maybe there need some hard-boiled
> rewrite to make it compatible with D6 new environment. CU ListTree seemed
> ok.

Ran into the same thing, about two hours ago.
All of my console app packages imported without a glitch, but all of the
GUI stuff barfed on the binary view resources stored in the package file.

IIRC you have to rebuild your views from hand, but I hope to be proven
wrong :-)

s.

Re: SSW EditableListView not working

Blair McGlashan-3
"Stefan Schmiedl" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:48:25 +0800, tgkuo wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>     I'm porting my projects from D5 to D6, which depend upon  the well
>> known must-have widgets, SSW EditableListView, but while installing its
>> package, I found it not working in D6. Maybe there need some hard-boiled
>> rewrite to make it compatible with D6 new environment. CU ListTree seemed
>> ok.
>>

> Ran into the same thing, about two hours ago.
> All of my console app packages imported without a glitch, but all of the
> GUI stuff barfed on the binary view resources stored in the package file.
>
> IIRC you have to rebuild your views from hand, but I hope to be proven
> wrong :-)

This will be because the EditableListView is a subclass of ListView, and the
ListView hierarchy has been extensively refactored in X6 (e.g. there is now
only a single class supporting both single and multi-select modes). The
refactoring has necessitated changes to the class schema, that require
schema migration code for serialisation. This code is not aware of
subclasses, and so probably won't work for them. You'll need to fix up the
stb convertion for this class in order to be able to load your views, or
alternatively (as you suggest) recreate them.

Regards

Blair

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:17:17 +0000, Blair McGlashan wrote:

>> IIRC you have to rebuild your views from hand, but I hope to be proven
>> wrong :-)
>
> This will be because the EditableListView is a subclass of ListView, and
> the ListView hierarchy has been extensively refactored in X6 (e.g. there
> is now only a single class supporting both single and multi-select modes).
> The refactoring has necessitated changes to the class schema, that require
> schema migration code for serialisation. This code is not aware of
> subclasses, and so probably won't work for them. You'll need to fix up the
> stb convertion for this class in order to be able to load your views, or
> alternatively (as you suggest) recreate them.

It was not so bad ... the most annoying part (framing constraints) was
amenable to copy&pasting from a D5 image :-)

s.

Re: SSW EditableListView not working

KlausK-2
Hi Stefan,

this prevents me from switching from v5 to v6, because I have no overview
how much time it will cost.
Does your statement mean, that you could import the goodies packages
without overriding any system method?
The amount of views with the editablelistview is not so big in my project.
I would be able to recreate them. My idea for this is to mutate them to a
normal listview first.

Cheers
Klaus

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 06:32:54 -0500, KlausK wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> this prevents me from switching from v5 to v6, because I have no overview
> how much time it will cost.

It went quite smooth, but I didn't have much to migrate, either.

> Does your statement mean, that you could import the goodies packages
> without overriding any system method? The amount of views with the
> editablelistview is not so big in my project. I would be able to recreate
> them. My idea for this is to mutate them to a normal listview first.

I noticed a minor bug when mutating ListViews to EditableListViews.
IIRC, a walkback with a UndefinedObject doesNotUnderstand popped up,
which I fixed by manually setting an instance variable (something with
"row") to 1 instead of nil.

I could mail you the package as it is right now on my development machine,
but quoting John:
"Once I've had chance to do a little more work on the ELV (I have a version
which allows push buttons to be placed in the cells) I'll release a D6
version generally."

Anyways, I'll be mostly offline until the weekend, there's a bunch of work
needing to be done *right now* ...

s.

Re: SSW EditableListView not working

KlausK-2
Hi Stefan,

many thanks for offering a package. I would like to get it by mail. Just
snip of that "nospam.".

Cheers
Klaus