ST 64bit virtual machine?

Ralf Helm
Hello,

we get more and more under pressure with our 32-bit application. Our customers increasingly ask a 64 bit implementation and would like to know when we can make this available. Unfortunately, we must put them again because we can call no final date. So here again is the question of when to be reckoned with the implementation as a 64 bit virtual machine?

Ralf

ST 64bit virtual machine?

jtuchel
Ralf,

you should probably contact vast-support to get details. Afaik, there is no public announcement for an avalability date of a 64-bit VM. It has been mentioned in several forums, however, that they are working on it.

Joachim

Re: ST 64bit virtual machine?

Ralf Helm

Hello Joachim,

thanks for the information.

Regards

Ralf

Am Dienstag, 4. März 2014 18:36:32 UTC+1 schrieb Ralf Helm:
Hello,

we get more and more under pressure with our 32-bit application. Our customers increasingly ask a 64 bit implementation and would like to know when we can make this available. Unfortunately, we must put them again because we can call no final date. So here again is the question of when to be reckoned with the implementation as a 64 bit virtual machine?

Ralf

Re: ST 64bit virtual machine?

Randy Nelson-2
It gets harder and harder to explain this to customers...especially when you're trying for new customers. Then you have to explain the virtually single processor as well. Single processor is more understandable and we have things we can do to get around it, but the 64 bit question just lays there. Environments - nice, 64 bit - necessary. I know it's more difficult than it seems...but 10+ years?

Just mine, (and I think the marketplace's), opinion...
Thanks

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Ralf Helm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

we get more and more under pressure with our 32-bit application. Our customers increasingly ask a 64 bit implementation and would like to know when we can make this available. Unfortunately, we must put them again because we can call no final date. So here again is the question of when to be reckoned with the implementation as a 64 bit virtual machine?

Ralf

Re: ST 64bit virtual machine?

jtuchel
I agree. It's time for 64 bit.

You should probably get in touch with Instantiations sales to ask more detailed questions or discuss your urgency of needs for a 64 bit version. This forum will probably not be read by people who can do something about priorities and/or resources.

On the single-processed front, there really isn't much that current Smalltalk implementations offer out of the box. Cincom's Matrix f.k.a. Polycephaly is a nice approach but solves the problem at hand not on the VM or language level and you have to "program for it". Which, in the end would also be true if Smalltalk had thread-safe libraries that allow for OS level threads. Parallelism comes with  a class of problems that needs special treatment. So I agree that it would be nice if we could put a "massive multithreading enabled" sticker on our VAST deliverables, but we can't. And even if somebody came up with Smalltalk extensions to enable parallelism by enforced sandboxing of objects, it wouldn't be free for existing objects....

Joachim

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Ralf Helm <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="mwNDPACARhcJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">ralf...@...> wrote: