STS Load loose method error

Tim M
I have loaded an earlier version of a package, and am comparing to a later
version and loading methods on the right to regain some funcationality I
introduced but backed out of.

Several load rights work fine, however when faced with one indicated as a
"loose method removed" I get a walkback (which looks to be because its a
loose method?)

I don't understand why this assert check is there - why can't I load a loose
method I had previously added?

11:39:22 pm, 28 June 2006: 'assertion failure'
Signal>>signal
StsPackageManager(Object)>>assert:
StsPackageManager(PackageManager)>>onMethodAdded:
RefactoringSmalltalkSystem(SmalltalkSystem)>>onMethodAdded:
EventMessageSend>>forwardTo:withArguments:
EventMessageSend(MessageSendAbstract)>>valueWithArguments:
[] in MessageSequenceAbstract>>valueWithArguments:
EventMessageSequence>>messagesDo:
EventMessageSequence(MessageSequenceAbstract)>>valueWithArguments:
EventsCollection>>triggerEvent:with:
SystemDictionary(Object)>>trigger:with:
CompilationResult>>fireSystemUpdateEvent
AspectBuffer class(ClassDescription)>>compile:categories:package:flags:
AspectBuffer class(ClassDescription)>>compile:categories:package:
AspectBuffer class(ClassDescription)>>compile:categories:
[] in StsChangedLooseMethodNode>>loadRight
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
StsManager>>ignoreCompilerWhile:
StsChangedLooseMethodNode>>loadRight
[] in StsComparisonBrowser>>menuLoadRight
Array(ArrayedCollection)>>do:
StsComparisonBrowser>>menuLoadRight
Symbol>>forwardTo:
CommandDescription>>performAgainst:
[] in Command>>value
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
Command>>value
ShellView>>performCommand:
StsComparisonBrowser(Shell)>>performCommand:
CommandQuery>>perform
DelegatingCommandPolicy(CommandPolicy)>>route:
[] in MultipleSelectionListView(View)>>onCommand:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
Cursor>>showWhile:
MultipleSelectionListView(View)>>onCommand:
MultipleSelectionListView(View)>>wmCommand:wParam:lParam:
MultipleSelectionListView(View)>>dispatchMessage:wParam:lParam:
[] in InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>callback:evaluate:
InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
InputState>>pumpMessage:
InputState>>loopWhile:
InputState>>mainLoop
[] in InputState>>forkMain
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>markAndTry
[] in ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:

Re: STS Load loose method error

Andy Bower-3
Tim,

> I have loaded an earlier version of a package, and am comparing to a
> later version and loading methods on the right to regain some
> funcationality I introduced but backed out of.
>
> Several load rights work fine, however when faced with one indicated
> as a "loose method removed" I get a walkback (which looks to be
> because its a loose method?)
>
> I don't understand why this assert check is there - why can't I load
> a loose method I had previously added?

At the moment, I can't see why that assert is there either. However, I
suspect there is a good reason for it. Do you have a reproducible case
so that I can get this to fail, either by using STS or not.

In the meantime, my guess is that if you remove the assert then STS
will perform correctly since it is most likely only a necessary check
when performing normal Dolphin package operations (without STS).

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support