STS or Save Package loses Class categories

STS or Save Package loses Class categories

TimM-3
I have noticed that classes that I categorized and versioned in STS and then
saved as a package to the file system - when later loaded into a clean image
using STS - seem to lose their class categories?

I only noticed this becuase I am also running Subversion on the package
files (I'm a bit paranoid, but also want to verion my other resources) and
diffs keep coming up on all my files regarding class categories?

Am I right in thinking that if my package has classes that have a particular
category, that loading them into a new image should re-create the category?

I also notice that STS doesn't seem to notice these categories as a
versionable
diference.

Anyone else noticed this?

Tim

Re: STS or Save Package loses Class categories

David Gorisek-5
STS does not version class categories at all. They are not included in
the class edition object. The reason is that I was not aware they even
exist in Dolphin, until someone told me about their existence a year
ago. Today I still don't know where to put them and what their use is. I
always thought this is some relict from the past, which can still be
seen in old VW and Squeak browsers...

Does anybody else miss class categories in STS?

Best regards,

David Gorisek

TimM wrote:

> I have noticed that classes that I categorized and versioned in STS and then
> saved as a package to the file system - when later loaded into a clean image
> using STS - seem to lose their class categories?
>
> I only noticed this becuase I am also running Subversion on the package
> files (I'm a bit paranoid, but also want to verion my other resources) and
> diffs keep coming up on all my files regarding class categories?
>
> Am I right in thinking that if my package has classes that have a particular
> category, that loading them into a new image should re-create the category?
>
> I also notice that STS doesn't seem to notice these categories as a
> versionable
> diference.
>
> Anyone else noticed this?
>
> Tim

Re: STS or Save Package loses Class categories

TimM-3
> ago. Today I still don't know where to put them and what their use is. I
> always thought this is some relict from the past, which can still be seen
> in old VW and Squeak browsers...
>
> Does anybody else miss class categories in STS?

Actually a good point - my workaround was to save my packages without them
and take the diff conflicts in subversion in one go. For now I won't use
them anymore, and maybe I should just click to method categories.

I was just taken by categorising my test clases as SunitTests...

Tim

Re: STS or Save Package loses Class categories

Christopher J. Demers
"David Gorisek" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> STS does not version class categories at all. They are not included in the
> class edition object. The reason is that I was not aware they even exist
> in Dolphin, until someone told me about their existence a year ago. Today
> I still don't know where to put them and what their use is. I always
> thought this is some relict from the past, which can still be seen in old
> VW and Squeak browsers...
>
> Does anybody else miss class categories in STS?

I don't use class categories myself because as far as I know there is not
much you can do with them in the Dolphin UI.  I tend to use packages for
grouping classes, though I am not totally happy with what I have.  I could
see how class categories could be useful at some point in the future, so I
would not want to see that feature removed from Dolphin.

They are (or at least were in Dolphin 5) used to determine what type
converter classes were available in the view composer.  I have some custom
type converters and when loaded from STS they would loose that
classification and not be visible in the Dolphin UI.  For this reason alone
it would be nice if STS could remember class categories.  However I am not
sure if most people have realized the magic of this classification in the
first place.  Other than this use class categories do not have any relevance
to me at the moment.

Chris

Re: STS or Save Package loses Class categories

Joseph Pelrine-7
David Gorisek wrote:
> STS does not version class categories at all. They are not included in
> the class edition object. The reason is that I was not aware they even
> exist in Dolphin, until someone told me about their existence a year
> ago. Today I still don't know where to put them and what their use is. I
> always thought this is some relict from the past, which can still be
> seen in old VW and Squeak browsers...
>
> Does anybody else miss class categories in STS?

I agree with David. I consider them to be an antiquated concept, they
are not mentioned in x3j20, and AFAIK they're either already removed or
going to be removed from the next release of VW.

Cheers
Joseph