STX troubles

Janko Mivšek
Hi ST/X guys,

I managed to install it on my VMware Wins, but I rather work on my Linux
(openSUSE 11.1) but here running STX as ./smalltalk ends up in 100% CPU
without opening any GUI. After every minute or so it just add another
MEM report line:

mivsek@mivsek:~/Smalltalk/stx542/stx/projects/smalltalk> ./smalltalk
MEM [info] (09-06-20 23:19:02): moreOld called during startup - use more
initial memory (-Mold:8454144)
MEM [info] (09-06-20 23:20:04): moreOld called during startup - use more
initial memory (-Mold:8716288)
MEM [info] (09-06-20 23:21:12): moreOld called during startup - use more
initial memory (-Mold:8978432)
MEM [info] (09-06-20 23:22:28): moreOld called during startup - use more
initial memory (-Mold:9240576)

I did the following to install and run it:

        mkdir stx542
        cd stx542
        tar xvfz /tmp/common.tgz
        tar xvfz /tmp/linux.tgz

        cd stx/projects/smalltalk
        ./smalltalk

What is wrong, should I rather recompile it for my Linux?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: STX troubles

Jan Vrany-2
Hi Janko,

that's strange. You may try my branch
(http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/download/smalltalkx/smalltalk-5.4.6.20090620svn_linux.tar.bz2
installation instructions:
http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/Download)
- I put a most recent version there 10 mins ago.

Let me know whether it works...

> What is wrong, should I rather recompile it for my Linux?

No idea whats wrong. Both original eXept version and my
branch should work fine on any modern linux.
Moreover, recompilation of whole system is bit tricky,
as you have no access to stc and librun (St/X VM) sources.

Jan

> Best regards
> Janko

Re: STX troubles

Janko Mivšek
Hi Jan,

Thanks for such fast answer! I tried also your branch but unfortunately
with the same result. BTW you branch is really nicely done, much cleaner
than official one.

Ok, let me not wast any more your and my time. I'll start working with
STX on Win for a while. So, how to load Swazoo and Aida on STX?

Here is the page with a Swazoo goodie:
http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesSwazoo

There is also the code to load it:

        Smalltalk loadPackage: 'stx:goodies/swazoo'

But it seems that this loads only the package which is on local file
system, not remote. So how to load such package remotely?

I tried to copy it locally and run above code, but ended with some
strange error.

Thanks and best regards
Janko

Jan Vrany pravi:

> Hi Janko,
>
> that's strange. You may try my branch
> (http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/download/smalltalkx/smalltalk-5.4.6.20090620svn_linux.tar.bz2
> installation instructions:
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/Download)
> - I put a most recent version there 10 mins ago.
>
> Let me know whether it works...
>
>> What is wrong, should I rather recompile it for my Linux?
>>

> No idea whats wrong. Both original eXept version and my
> branch should work fine on any modern linux.
> Moreover, recompilation of whole system is bit tricky,
> as you have no access to stc and librun (St/X VM) sources.
>

> Jan
>
>> Best regards
>> Janko

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: STX troubles

Jan Vrany-2

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 20:03 +0200, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> Thanks for such fast answer! I tried also your branch but unfortunately
> with the same result. BTW you branch is really nicely done, much cleaner
> than official one.

Thanks. My branch is heavily modified version of eXept one with lot of
patches. I hope we will merge soon (once I finish S/X.VN integration :-)

However, I've no idea what's wrong - maybe something is wrong with
startup sequence (but this is strange, because my branch contains a
modified startup sequence). Or - more likely - some kind of interference
between ST/X VM, linux kernel, glibc and X.org.

Well, I'll install a opensuse 11.1 a look at it. Is your system
a clean opensuse 11.1? KDE or GNOME or other WM? (believe or not -
recently we fixed bug causing 100% CPU usage that was caused by
the window manager).
We only run St/X on Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo boxes :-(

> Ok, let me not wast any more your and my time. I'll start working with
> STX on Win for a while. So, how to load Swazoo and Aida on STX?
>
> Here is the page with a Swazoo goodie:
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesSwazoo
>
> There is also the code to load it:
>
> Smalltalk loadPackage: 'stx:goodies/swazoo'
>
> But it seems that this loads only the package which is on local file
> system, not remote. So how to load such package remotely?

That's not so easy - we keep our code in SVN repositories and
SVN support is not yet integrated to the eXept mainline.

You may patch original eXept St/X and install SVN support
using steps described here:
http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/PatchingExeptDistribution

Or better, use my branch, which has all those tools already integrated.
I'll try to build my branch for windows during this week.

> I tried to copy it locally and run above code, but ended with some
> strange error.

Which one? :-)

Cheers, Jan

P.S.: At least, we can do some hacking on ESUG. I'll show you how
      to use St/X :-)

Re: STX troubles

Janko Mivšek
Jan Vrany pravi:

> Well, I'll install a opensuse 11.1 a look at it. Is your system
> a clean opensuse 11.1? KDE or GNOME or other WM? (believe or not -
> recently we fixed bug causing 100% CPU usage that was caused by
> the window manager).
> We only run St/X on Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo boxes :-(

This is clean openSUSE 11.1 with KDE. Good luck!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: STX troubles - SOLVED

Jan Vrany-2
Hi guys,

just to inform you, we finally found the Janko's problem.
The problem is caused by bug in the base classes. There
is an infinite loop when looking for localized message catalogs
that does not exists such as catalog for sl locale.
To workaround this, do

export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

before running smalltalk. I'll fix it in next version.
Janko, thanks for cooperation!

Cheers, Jan