SULightbox doesn't work

Peter Osburg-2

Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Peter Osburg-2

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

John Thornborrow
Have you placed a halt in the sender of #updateStates:?

This suggests to me that you are returning nil as a child to one of your
components. Are your components initializing their children correctly?

John.

Peter Osburg wrote:

> Any help regarding the problem?
>
> - Peter
>
> Peter Osburg schrieb:
> > Hi list,
>
> > I checked the SULightboxTest and everything works well. So I use
> > the code to open a lightbox on my app. I also included the
> > SULibrary but nevertheless I get the following error mesage:
>
> > MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>updateStates:
>
> > There is the problem that this error message is rendered simply, I
> > cannot run the debugger. But I want to paste an extract of the
> > stack trace, too:
>
> > WARenderContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>updateStates: [] in
> > WARenderContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>respond: {[:value |
> > self updateStates: states]} [] in MWSession(WASession)>>onRespond:
> > {[:response | aBlock value: response. previous value: response]
>
> > Although I created my own session, I never did override the
> > updateStates method. Does anybody know what the problem could be?
>
> > Thanks, Peter

Consider your responsibility to the environment - think before you print!

******************************************************************************************************************************************
This email is from Pinesoft Limited. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient(s) at the email address(es) to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee(s), nor may it be copied in anyway. If received in error, please contact the sender, then delete it from your system. Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Pinesoft for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. *******************************************************************************************************************************************

Pinesoft Limited are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

RE: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Sebastian Sastre-2
Is something Seaside won't expect. Did you manipulated the session somehow?

Sebastian

I just inherited from WASession and created my own Session, but I only
added 2 instance variables
WASession subclass: #MWSession
    instanceVariableNames: 'user db'
    classVariableNames: ''
    poolDictionaries: ''
    category: 'My Category'

and the corresponding getter and setter methods. And of course I did
override the configuration of my application with my own session.
Do I need to manually set something in my session? Do I need to be
aware of something.

- - Peter

Sebastian Sastre schrieb:
> Is something Seaside won't expect. Did you manipulated the session
> somehow?
>
> Sebastian
>
>> -----Mensaje original----- De:
>> [hidden email]
>> [[hidden email]] En nombre de
>> Peter Osburg Enviado el: Martes, 16 de Diciembre de 2008 11:25
>> Para: Seaside Mailingliste Asunto: [Seaside] Re: SULightbox
>> doesn't work
>>
> Any help regarding the problem?
>
> - Peter

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Peter Osburg-2

Do I need to override the WASessionConfiguration, when I create my own
session?

I don't see the point where I am mistaken.

- - Peter

Peter Osburg schrieb:

> I just inherited from WASession and created my own Session, but I
> only added 2 instance variables WASession subclass: #MWSession
> instanceVariableNames: 'user db' classVariableNames: ''
> poolDictionaries: '' category: 'My Category'
>
> and the corresponding getter and setter methods. And of course I
> did override the configuration of my application with my own
> session. Do I need to manually set something in my session? Do I
> need to be aware of something.
>
> - Peter
>
> Sebastian Sastre schrieb:
>> Is something Seaside won't
> expect. Did you manipulated the session
>
>> somehow?
>

>> Sebastian
>

>>> -----Mensaje original----- De:
>
>>> [hidden email]
>
>>> [mailto:[hidden email]] En
> nombre de
>
>>> Peter Osburg Enviado el: Martes, 16 de Diciembre de 2008
> 11:25
>
>>> Para: Seaside Mailingliste Asunto: [Seaside] Re: SULightbox
>
>>> doesn't work
>

>> Any help regarding the problem?
>

>> - Peter

> well. So I

> included

> error

> UndefinedObject>>updateStates:

> rendered

> paste an

> WARenderContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>updateStates: []

> WARenderContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>respond:

> aBlock value:

> override the

> problem could

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Peter Osburg-2

Ok, looks like no one is able to help, huh?

Peter Osburg schrieb:

> Do I need to override the WASessionConfiguration, when I create my
> own session?
>
> I don't see the point where I am mistaken.
>
> - Peter
>
> Peter Osburg schrieb:
>> I just inherited from WASession and created my own Session, but I
>>  only added 2 instance variables WASession subclass: #MWSession
>> instanceVariableNames: 'user db' classVariableNames: ''
>> poolDictionaries: '' category: 'My Category'
>
>> and the corresponding getter and setter methods. And of course I
>> did override the configuration of my application with my own
>> session. Do I need to manually set something in my session? Do I
>> need to be aware of something.
>
>> - Peter
>
>> Sebastian Sastre schrieb:
>>> Is something Seaside won't
>> expect. Did you manipulated the session
>
>>> somehow?
>

>>> Sebastian

>> nombre de

>> 11:25

>>> Any help regarding the problem?
>

>>> - Peter

>> well. So I

>> included

>> error

>> UndefinedObject>>updateStates:

>> rendered

>> paste an

>> WARenderContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>updateStates: []

>> WARenderContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>respond:

>> aBlock value:

>> override the

>> problem could

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Lukas Renggli
> Ok, looks like no one is able to help, huh?

Can you provide a minimal package that shows the problem?

I don't have the time to build an example and try tro reproduce your
problem. If you provide a file-in with one or two classes, everybody
can quickly load it and help to further investigate the issue. I am
sure that your problem is solved in no time, if you make it a snap to
reproduce.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Julian Fitzell-2
Sorry Peter,

I think you didn't provide enough information for anyone to be sure
what the problem is.

There are three places in WASessionContinuation>>updateStates: where
#updateStates: is called so I can't be sure what object is nil. To be
certain, you could add a "self halt" at the top of that method and
then step through the code to see where your problem is.

It's unlikely that "self session" is returning nil so the most likely
case looks to  be that visiblePresentersDo: is passing in a nil as
"each". Perhaps you are returning a nil from a #children method or
something?

If you can narrow down the object that is nil, or (as Lukas just
suggested) post a minimal set of code that reproduces the problem,
someone will be able to help you further.

Julian

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Peter Osburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, looks like no one is able to help, huh?
>
> Peter Osburg schrieb:
>> Do I need to override the WASessionConfiguration, when I create my
>> own session?
>>
>> I don't see the point where I am mistaken.
>>
>> - Peter
>>
>> Peter Osburg schrieb:
>>> I just inherited from WASession and created my own Session, but I
>>>  only added 2 instance variables WASession subclass: #MWSession
>>> instanceVariableNames: 'user db' classVariableNames: ''
>>> poolDictionaries: '' category: 'My Category'
>>
>>> and the corresponding getter and setter methods. And of course I
>>> did override the configuration of my application with my own
>>> session. Do I need to manually set something in my session? Do I
>>> need to be aware of something.
>>
>>> - Peter

>>> expect. Did you manipulated the session

>>> nombre de

>>> 11:25

>>> well. So I

>>> included

>>> error

>>> UndefinedObject>>updateStates:

>>> rendered

>>> paste an

>>> WARenderContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>updateStates: []

>>> WARenderContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>respond:

>>> aBlock value:

>>> override the

>>> problem could

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Peter Osburg-2

Ok thx for your effort. I check back with my client whether I can file
out some source.

Julian Fitzell schrieb:
> Sorry Peter,
>
> I think you didn't provide enough information for anyone to be sure
>  what the problem is.
>
> There are three places in WASessionContinuation>>updateStates:
> where #updateStates: is called so I can't be sure what object is
> nil. To be certain, you could add a "self halt" at the top of that
> method and then step through the code to see where your problem is.
>

> It's unlikely that "self session" is returning nil so the most
> likely case looks to  be that visiblePresentersDo: is passing in a
> nil as "each". Perhaps you are returning a nil from a #children
> method or something?
>
> If you can narrow down the object that is nil, or (as Lukas just
> suggested) post a minimal set of code that reproduces the problem,
> someone will be able to help you further.
>
> Julian
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Peter Osburg
> [hidden email] wrote: Ok, looks like no one is able to
> help, huh?

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Peter Osburg-2

Ok with some help I could narrow down the problem a little bit.

We could figure out that the problem seems to be in
WARenderContinuation >> respond:
When the line self session onRespond: shall be evaluate I can see that
self session is nil. For some reason it looks like the session gets
lost for some reason. But in the stack trace I can see that MWSession
(WASession) >> start: is called which makes it even more strange for
me to understand why the session gets lost.

I have to admit that I do not fully understand all the things going on
during the render phase and how the relation between session and
continuation looks like. I hope these information can help you guys a
little bit.

Thanks to Michael Haupt for his help.

Julian Fitzell schrieb:
> Sorry Peter,
>
> I think you didn't provide enough information for anyone to be sure
>  what the problem is.
>
> There are three places in WASessionContinuation>>updateStates:
> where #updateStates: is called so I can't be sure what object is
> nil. To be certain, you could add a "self halt" at the top of that
> method and then step through the code to see where your problem is.
>

> It's unlikely that "self session" is returning nil so the most
> likely case looks to  be that visiblePresentersDo: is passing in a
> nil as "each". Perhaps you are returning a nil from a #children
> method or something?
>
> If you can narrow down the object that is nil, or (as Lukas just
> suggested) post a minimal set of code that reproduces the problem,
> someone will be able to help you further.
>
> Julian
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Peter Osburg
> [hidden email] wrote: Ok, looks like no one is able to
> help, huh?

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Peter Osburg-2
Ok I got the OK to file out the source.

Here we go :)

I just added added the call of a lightbox directly into the MWLoginComponent >> renderContentOn:

this component will immediately be called when you access my site so the error should show up directly when you access the entry point.

Regards,
Peter

MajWiki.rar (26K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Lukas Renggli
> Here we go :)

- Please provide a *minimal example*, with one or two relevant classes
that demonstrate the problem. A minimal example should not depend on
*external* libraries or databases, unless this is necessary to
reproduce the problem.

- Please add an initializer to your *root component* class, that
registers itself as an application. Like this somebody that tries to
help can reproduce the problem by loading the code and starting up a
web browser *within seconds*.

To get help for free, there is first some work needed from your side:

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Peter Osburg-2

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Gerhard Obermann
Hi!

> renderContentOn: html
>    self lightbox: (WAFormDialog new addMessage: 'test'; yourself)

Its not allowed and doesn't even makes sense to use call: or in your case lightbox: during the rendering phase.
It should only be used for callbacks.

cheers
Gerhard

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Peter Osburg-2

Dammit ... great ... that solves the problem ... dammit ... my fault :)

Thanks for the hint.

Gerhard Obermann schrieb:
> Hi!
>
>> renderContentOn: html self lightbox: (WAFormDialog new
>> addMessage: 'test'; yourself)
>
> Its not allowed and doesn't even makes sense to use call: or in
> your case lightbox: during the rendering phase. It should only be
> used for callbacks.
>
> cheers Gerhard
>

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Peter Osburg
> <[hidden email] [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> While I was extracting the necessary files, I realized that I also
> get the error message when I use a simple example with one
> component directly calling
>
> renderContentOn: html self lightbox: (WAFormDialog new addMessage:
> 'test'; yourself)
>
> And the component is inherited from WAComponent.
>
> I made sure that I added the SULibrary to the configuration. But I
> still get this error while the SULightboxTest works fine. Comparing
>  the configurations doesn't show me any difference between my
> configuration and the configuration of the lightbox-dialog
> application.
>
> I use Seaside2.8a1-pmm.581 Scriptaculous-lr.243 and Squeak 3.9
>
> I don't get it. And shall I really send you guys a file-out with
> one class with one method and one call?
>
> Lukas Renggli schrieb:
>
>>> Here we go :)
>

>> - Please provide a *minimal example*, with one or two relevant
>
>> classes that demonstrate the problem. A minimal example should
> not
>
>> depend on *external* libraries or databases, unless this is
>
>> necessary to reproduce the problem.
>

>> - Please add an initializer to your *root component* class, that
>

>> registers itself as an application. Like this somebody that tries
>>

>> to help can reproduce the problem by loading the code and
> starting
>
>> up a web browser *within seconds*.
>

>> To get help for free, there is first some work needed from your
>
>> side:

>> Cheers, Lukas

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Lukas Renggli
> I don't get it. And shall I really send you guys a file-out with one
> class with one method and one call?

Yes, you want to make it easy for people to help.

As Gerhard pointed out, the problem is that you use #lightbox: while
rendering. #lightbox: does internally the same as #call: and you
should not do that while rendering. Either do it from within a
callback or use WATask>>#go.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Philippe Marschall
2008/12/18 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
>> I don't get it. And shall I really send you guys a file-out with one
>> class with one method and one call?
>
> Yes, you want to make it easy for people to help.
>
> As Gerhard pointed out, the problem is that you use #lightbox: while
> rendering. #lightbox: does internally the same as #call:

Is that already part of Slime or should we add it?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Re: SULightbox doesn't work

Lukas Renggli
>> As Gerhard pointed out, the problem is that you use #lightbox: while
>> rendering. #lightbox: does internally the same as #call:
>
> Is that already part of Slime or should we add it?

Yes, this is an issue that is automatically detected by Slime.

#(chooseFrom:caption: confirm: request:label: request:label:default:
call: show: lightbox: answer: chooseFrom: show:onAnswer: answer
inform: request:default: show:onAnswer:delegation: request:)

Cheers,
Lukas

> Cheers
> Philippe