[SURVEY] Pillar input/output files.

CyrilFerlicot
Hi,
I'm currently working on the way we manage the input files and the output files.
The way we manage the files now makes hard some improvement of Pillar.
That's why with Damien we though about makes some changes. The changes
are big so I wanted to talk about that with you.
We propose to have always 1 file with all the work inside. That can
use the inputFile tag. For example:

"${inputFile:Chapter1.pillar}$

${inputFile:Chapter2.pillar}$

${inputFile:Chapter3.pillar}$

${inputFile:Chapter4.pillar}$"

And the option "separateOutputFiles" will now create 1 file each time
we have a new Chapter. (!Level 1 header).
That will make simpler the way to number everything and to create
anchor because those 2 doesn't work well with the "separateOutputFile"
option.

What do you thing? That would be good with you?

--
Cheers
Cyril Ferlicot

Re: [Pharo-users] [SURVEY] Pillar input/output files.

Damien Cassou-2

Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm currently working on the way we manage the input files and the output files.
> The way we manage the files now makes hard some improvement of Pillar.
> That's why with Damien we though about makes some changes. The changes
> are big so I wanted to talk about that with you.
> We propose to have always 1 file with all the work inside. That can
> use the inputFile tag. For example:
>
> "${inputFile:Chapter1.pillar}$
>
> ${inputFile:Chapter2.pillar}$
>
> ${inputFile:Chapter3.pillar}$
>
> ${inputFile:Chapter4.pillar}$"
>
> And the option "separateOutputFiles" will now create 1 file each time
> we have a new Chapter. (!Level 1 header).
> That will make simpler the way to number everything and to create
> anchor because those 2 doesn't work well with the "separateOutputFile"
> option.
>
> What do you thing? That would be good with you?

this change proposes to remove the option inputFiles from Pillar. Pillar
will now take only 1 Pillar input file that must include the rest. This
will simplify pillar.conf, this will simplify compile.sh, this will make
it easier for the author to understand the process, and this will
simplify Pillar's implementation. With this in place, we think we can
fix the problems with anchors and inter-chapter links.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] [SURVEY] Pillar input/output files.

Guillermo Polito
If I understand correctly... then, why the pillar.conf is not just a pillar file? (And the conf is the header if the file?) :)

Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> writes:

> If I understand correctly... then, why the pillar.conf is not just a pillar
> file? (And the conf is the header if the file?) :)

my middle-term goal is to simplify/remove as much as possible both the
pillar.conf and compile.sh scripts.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] [SURVEY] Pillar input/output files.

Hannes Hirzel
On 5/4/15, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I understand correctly... then, why the pillar.conf is not just a pillar
> file? (And the conf is the header if the file?) :)

That would be fine not to have a pillar.conf file but just a heard in
a regular pillar file
which does some configuration.

--Hannes

> El lun., 4 de may. de 2015 a la(s) 2:50 p. m., Damien Cassou <
> [hidden email]> escribió:
>

>> Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm currently working on the way we manage the input files and the
>> output files.
>> > The way we manage the files now makes hard some improvement of Pillar.
>> > That's why with Damien we though about makes some changes. The changes
>> > are big so I wanted to talk about that with you.
>> > We propose to have always 1 file with all the work inside. That can
>> > use the inputFile tag. For example:
>> >
>> > "${inputFile:Chapter1.pillar}$
>> >
>> > ${inputFile:Chapter2.pillar}$
>> >
>> > ${inputFile:Chapter3.pillar}$
>> >
>> > ${inputFile:Chapter4.pillar}$"
>> >
>> > And the option "separateOutputFiles" will now create 1 file each time
>> > we have a new Chapter. (!Level 1 header).
>> > That will make simpler the way to number everything and to create
>> > anchor because those 2 doesn't work well with the "separateOutputFile"
>> > option.
>> >
>> > What do you thing? That would be good with you?
>>
>> this change proposes to remove the option inputFiles from Pillar. Pillar
>> will now take only 1 Pillar input file that must include the rest. This
>> will simplify pillar.conf, this will simplify compile.sh, this will make
>> it easier for the author to understand the process, and this will
>> simplify Pillar's implementation. With this in place, we think we can
>> fix the problems with anchors and inter-chapter links.
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: [Moose-dev] [SURVEY] Pillar input/output files.

abergel
Hi Cyril,

It does not look that different. Something I may recommend, is that Pillar should be effective at writing other things than a book. So, the chapter decomposition should not be forced.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On May 4, 2015, at 7:38 AM, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I think we'll be able to avoid what i've expose on the first message.
I changed the way Pillar parsed the files so it's not easier to create
a global numerator or inter file links. When i'll have something that
work i'll do a new configuration a post a message on the ML.

On 18 May 2015 at 22:53, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Cyril,
>
> It does not look that different. Something I may recommend, is that Pillar
> should be effective at writing other things than a book. So, the chapter
> decomposition should not be forced.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On May 4, 2015, at 7:38 AM, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I'm currently working on the way we manage the input files and the output
> files.
> The way we manage the files now makes hard some improvement of Pillar.
> That's why with Damien we though about makes some changes. The changes
> are big so I wanted to talk about that with you.
> We propose to have always 1 file with all the work inside. That can
> use the inputFile tag. For example:
>
> "${inputFile:Chapter1.pillar}$
>
> ${inputFile:Chapter2.pillar}$
>
> ${inputFile:Chapter3.pillar}$
>
> ${inputFile:Chapter4.pillar}$"
>
> And the option "separateOutputFiles" will now create 1 file each time
> we have a new Chapter. (!Level 1 header).
> That will make simpler the way to number everything and to create
> anchor because those 2 doesn't work well with the "separateOutputFile"
> option.
>
> What do you thing? That would be good with you?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Cyril Ferlicot

Cheers