SVG Rendering Engine

12

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Philippe Marschall
Yes, on everything you said.

Cheers
Philippe

2008/4/7, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:

> I am so confused, people are talking about two different things in the same
> thread. Most seaside can do is _produce_ SVG, its the browsers/plugin job to
> _render_ it, so things like Cairo and Multigrain don't belong in this
> discussion afaict.
>
>  Cheers!
>
>  -Boris (via BlackBerry)

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

stephane ducasse
Exact!
We need a nice SVGCanvasRenderer with a nice set of brushes :)

> Yes, on everything you said.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe
>
> 2008/4/7, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> I am so confused, people are talking about two different things in
>> the same
>> thread. Most seaside can do is _produce_ SVG, its the browsers/
>> plugin job to
>> _render_ it, so things like Cairo and Multigrain don't belong in this
>> discussion afaict.

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Gerhard Obermann
Hi!

I am little bit confused too.

From my point of view the following functions should be covered with a Seaside SVG implementation (first step).

- Nice SVG Renderer (maybe subclass of  a 2d gfx Renderer)
- Basic set of SVG Elements (mainly Shapes, Text, Images,..) subset of SVG Tiny
- Standalone SVG documents
- Embedded SVG documents using the object tag (referenced with a callback ?)
- Callbacks on SVG elements (using SVG "a" element)
- Generated SVG XML should work in all Standard browsers
  • IE using ASV (no longer supported, but is working for IE6 and IE7)
  • Opera and Firefox (Native SVG)
  • Safari ???

Not in the first step:

- Inline SVG .... too many open issues, different solutions for different browser; not full-featured
- SVG ECMA Scripting
- AJAX Javascript Library to move and or modify elements
- AJAX Javascript Library to create or delete elements
- SVG full

br
Gerhard

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 7:00 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Exact!
We need a nice SVGCanvasRenderer with a nice set of brushes :)

Yes, on everything you said.

Cheers
Philippe

2008/4/7, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:

I am so confused, people are talking about two different things in the same
thread. Most seaside can do is _produce_ SVG, its the browsers/plugin job to
_render_ it, so things like Cairo and Multigrain don't belong in this
discussion afaict.

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Lukas Renggli
> - Basic set of SVG Elements (mainly Shapes, Text, Images,..) subset of SVG
> Tiny

A full implementation of SVG tiny would be a good start.

> - Generated SVG XML should work in all Standard browsers

That's too limiting. For IE one has to install a plugin, and for the
rest it just works (as usual). I think this is easy to communicate, if
you have a graphical application that people have to use a real
browser or install a plugin.

> - SVG ECMA Scripting
> - AJAX Javascript Library to move and or modify elements
> - AJAX Javascript Library to create or delete elements

Prototype and script.aculo.us should work to some extent with SVG
nodes. At least in FireFox, Safari and Opera. In most cases it makes
sense to have propre fallback implementations anyway.

> > We need a nice SVGCanvasRenderer with a nice set of brushes :)

I know / have heard of at least 3 SVG implementations in Seaside. It
is rather disappointing that nobody takes the time to publish his
solution to SqueakSource.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

stephane ducasse
>>> We need a nice SVGCanvasRenderer with a nice set of brushes :)
>
> I know / have heard of at least 3 SVG implementations in Seaside. It
> is rather disappointing that nobody takes the time to publish his
> solution to SqueakSource.

I can understand your disappointement when I see all the excellent
you are doing for the community!

Re: Classbrowser trouble

Lukas Renggli
>  How can I find out about unicode characters?

Are you using WAKomEncoded39? I cannot reproduce it with WAKomEncoded.

WAKomEncoded39 should not be used together with certain versions of
Kom. To quote Philippe:

- Squeak 3.9 und Göran Kom -> use WAKomEncoded39
- Squeak 3.9 und Giovanny Kom -> use WAKomEncoded
- Squeak 3.8 und Göran Kom -> use WAKomEncoded
- Squeak 3.8 und Giovanny Kom -> troubles

Furthermore I suggest to use the released versions only
(Seaside2.8a1-pmm.536), for example the ones you find in the one-click
image. Seaside2.8a1-mu.540 is not merged with the latest code and
contains some (to me unknown) changes related to encoding.

Hope this helps,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Gerhard Obermann
Well i only know Sextant, but this seems to be not very usefull!
I didnt get it running in Seaside 2.9 (But should work in previous versions)

As i mentioned before, i would try to contribute as much as i can,
but ill need some good start point (e.g. Modelling and design of the base classes)

br
Gerhard

2008/4/7, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:

> >  How can I find out about unicode characters?
>

> Are you using WAKomEncoded39? I cannot reproduce it with WAKomEncoded.
>
>  WAKomEncoded39 should not be used together with certain versions of
>  Kom. To quote Philippe:
>
>  - Squeak 3.9 und Göran Kom -> use WAKomEncoded39
>  - Squeak 3.9 und Giovanny Kom -> use WAKomEncoded
>  - Squeak 3.8 und Göran Kom -> use WAKomEncoded
>  - Squeak 3.8 und Giovanny Kom -> troubles
>
>  Furthermore I suggest to use the released versions only
>  (Seaside2.8a1-pmm.536), for example the ones you find in the one-click
>  image. Seaside2.8a1-mu.540 is not merged with the latest code and
>  contains some (to me unknown) changes related to encoding.

In Seaside2.8a1-pmm.540 the class comments read:

WAKomEncoded:
 provide an adapter between Seaside and the Comanche web server with
response/request conversion from
UTF-8 to WideString and back in Squeak 3.8 or later.

see WAKom

Use me if you have either Squeak 3.8 and an old version of
KomHttpServer or Squeak 3.9 and a new version of
KomHttpServer. Squeak 3.8 and an new version of KomHttpServer are
likely to cause problems. If you use
Squeak 3.9 or later and an earlier version of KomHttpServer se WAKomEncoded39.

definition of a new version of Kom:
- SqueakMap: KomHttpServer 7.0.5 or later
- Monticello: KomHttpServer KomHttpServer-RJT.23 or later, especially
KomHttpServer-gc.27 or later

images in which you should use WAKomEncoded
- the Seaside One-Click image
- a recent squeak-web image from Damien

WAKomEncoded39:
I have the same resposibility like WAKomEncoded except that I'm for
Squeak 3.9 and old version of
KomHttpServer. See class comment of WAKomEncoded for more details. In
general I should not be used
anymore.

Together with issue 50 and all the other fixes since
Seaside2.8a1-lr.518 this would make a nice 2.8.1 maintenance release
IMHO.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Classbrowser trouble

SebastianHC
Hi folks!

Well, I still can't really say, why I had these problems, but I solved it.
I just reinstalled an older Version of the seaside2.8a1 package and
installed the .540 version again and everything was fine again.

It didn't make any difference using WAKom or WAKomEncoded39...

I'm using the SOAP-OPERA package for server commincation and RFB-Server
for VNC plugin. Maybe there I just overloaded some seaside important
features of WAKom.

There's definitely now seaside bug!

The only problem I still got is, that every time I change and save a
methode in the seaside classbrowser, every line starts with that
"BoxCharacter" in the beginning.

Is there anybody else using SOAP within his Seaside application? I still
have some trouble with the XSD decoding...

Anyway! I absolutely love Seaside and hope that instantiations will soon
release there 8.0 Version!!! There's hi potential in the german
financial and insurance sector!

 @Phillippe: I think your information might have included the right
solution, but I alread reloaded everything ;-(

Thanks a lot for your efforts!
Have a nice day at the seaside!!!
Sebastian

Re: Classbrowser trouble

Lukas Renggli
>  The only problem I still got is, that every time I change and save a
> methode in the seaside classbrowser, every line starts with that
> "BoxCharacter" in the beginning.

That's a well known Seaside bug for over 100 years. I finally ended
the desperate waiting and created a bug report:

   http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/list?ts=1207635257&thanks=53

The reason for the problem is that the web is using CRLF as a line
terminator. Squeak only uses CR and displays the LF as an unprintable
character. Or something like that.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli