SWHTTPClient

hernan.wilkinson
Does anybody know how to download the SWHTTPClient? (still looking for a https client :-) )

Re: SWHTTPClient

hernanmd
http://universes.dnsalias.net/universes/repositories/squeak-3.9/SWHTTPClient-bkv.19.mcz

2009/8/11 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>:
> Does anybody know how to download the SWHTTPClient? (still looking for a
> https client :-) )

Re: SWHTTPClient

Schwab,Wilhelm K
AFAICT, https is just http over an SSL socket.  The less incorrect I am about that, the more you are in fact looking for an SSL socket implementation.  My thought is to create that on top of OpenSSL, whether by plugin or FFI/Alien.

OpenSSL provides non-blocking calls, but my recollection is that they are not simple to use.  A plugin that can start OS threads to prevent blocking (on connect, read, and write) might be the easiest approach.  Perhaps someone who actually knows something about Squeak plugins could comment on whether that makes any sense :)

Bill

2009/8/11 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>:
> Does anybody know how to download the SWHTTPClient? (still looking for
> a https client :-) )

Re: SWHTTPClient

EstebanLM
Sorry if this is not the case, but... why don't you use stunnel instead
trying to make https protocol work on squeak?
Is much more easy, I think.

Cheers,
Esteban

On 2009-08-11 14:47:07 -0300, "Schwab,Wilhelm K"
<[hidden email]> said:

> AFAICT, https is just http over an SSL socket.  The less incorrect I am abo
> ut that, the more you are in fact looking for an SSL socket implementation.
>   My thought is to create that on top of OpenSSL, whether by plugin or FFI/
> Alien.
>
> OpenSSL provides non-blocking calls, but my recollection is that they are n
> ot simple to use.  A plugin that can start OS threads to prevent blocking (
> on connect, read, and write) might be the easiest approach.  Perhaps someon
> e who actually knows something about Squeak plugins could comment on whethe
> r that makes any sense :)
>
> Bill

Re: SWHTTPClient

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Two reasons: (1) OpenSSL offers a lot more than just SSL sockets, so it is worth wrapping; (2) it would be easy enough to do that is worth the effort.  Any time one introduces something like stunnel, there are setup complexities, which become opportunities to make mistakes that leave data unprotected.

On 2009-08-11 14:47:07 -0300, "Schwab,Wilhelm K"
<[hidden email]> said:

> AFAICT, https is just http over an SSL socket.  The less incorrect I
> am abo ut that, the more you are in fact looking for an SSL socket implementation.
>   My thought is to create that on top of OpenSSL, whether by plugin or
> FFI/ Alien.
>
> OpenSSL provides non-blocking calls, but my recollection is that they
> are n ot simple to use.  A plugin that can start OS threads to prevent
> blocking ( on connect, read, and write) might be the easiest approach.
> Perhaps someon e who actually knows something about Squeak plugins
> could comment on whethe r that makes any sense :)
>
> Bill

Re: SWHTTPClient

hernan.wilkinson
Thanks you all guys for the answers. We have no decided what to do yet... stunnel is an option too because the code we are writting now on pharo will have to run on GemStone later on, so that is another variable to have in mind also...

Hernan.

On 2009-08-11 14:47:07 -0300, "Schwab,Wilhelm K"
<[hidden email]> said:

> AFAICT, https is just http over an SSL socket.  The less incorrect I
> am abo ut that, the more you are in fact looking for an SSL socket implementation.
>   My thought is to create that on top of OpenSSL, whether by plugin or
> FFI/ Alien.
>
> OpenSSL provides non-blocking calls, but my recollection is that they
> are n ot simple to use.  A plugin that can start OS threads to prevent
> blocking ( on connect, read, and write) might be the easiest approach.
> Perhaps someon e who actually knows something about Squeak plugins
> could comment on whethe r that makes any sense :)
>
> Bill

Re: SWHTTPClient

Eagle Offshore
Wasn't there a curl plugin?  Or did it not get finished?

-Todd Blanchard