SaltSpray demo at rising.seasidehosting.st

Yanni Chiu
I've set up my SaltSpray demo app at http://rising.seasidehosting.st
It's a (Java) PetStore work-alike, implemented with Seaside and
ShoreComponents.

There's also a corresponding Admin Tool with a basic grid interface
from which you view and edit each class of object. For example, you
should be able to add your own Category, Product, Item, Inventory
objects. Also, if you place an order, you should be able to view
that order and it's lineitems. "Persistence" is in the image itself,
so if the image restarts, the changes are gone. The code used to write
to PostgreSQL, but I changed to memory "persistence" to run on
seasidehosting.st. A move to an object-db is a TODO.

Also, from the default entry point, there are links to the object
model and datatype diagrams. The diagrams are drawn in Jacaranda,
and the model code (objects, datatypes and relationships) are
generated from the diagram.

Any feedback is welcome and desired.

Re: SaltSpray demo at rising.seasidehosting.st

Lukas Renggli
Wow excellent!

We would like to see many more application like this running in public ;-)

> Any feedback is welcome and desired.

Just one small problem, the last link on the intro-page doesn't work:
<http://rising.seasidehosting.st/seaside/PandaBrowser>

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SaltSpray demo at rising.seasidehosting.st

Rick Flower
Lukas Renggli wrote:
> Wow excellent!
>
> We would like to see many more application like this running in public ;-)

I sent a private note to Yanni as well thanking him.. I'll see about
releasing my code I've got so far
which could be used by someone starting out in Seaside as a starting
point for their own database login based application..
I've got to do a little cleanup and making things a bit more generic..
I think the more things like this that are released,
can only help to allow new Seaside (and Smalltalk) users to quickly see
how powerful the environment is and what
they can do with it over many (or all) of the competition (e.g. RoR,
PHP, etc).

-- Rick

Re: SaltSpray demo at rising.seasidehosting.st

Yanni Chiu
Lukas Renggli wrote:
> Wow excellent!

Thanks. I was worried people might think "ho-hum, another web store".
I'd be in that camp too, if it weren't for the admin tool, and
model-driven aspects.

> Just one small problem, the last link on the intro-page doesn't work:
> <http://rising.seasidehosting.st/seaside/PandaBrowser>

Yes, I've deleted the entry point from the Seaside config
because the tool makes it too easy to inadvertantly wreck
the model integrity. I'm still working on the tool (it's
been rewritten three times at least). I need to integrate
the field validation stuff I added when working on the
SaltSpray Admin Tool. If I don't fix the tool soon, I'll fix
the intro page.

Re: SaltSpray demo at rising.seasidehosting.st

garduino
VERY interesting.

Cheers.
gsa.

Re: SaltSpray demo at rising.seasidehosting.st

Yanni Chiu
Rick Flower wrote:
> I sent a private note to Yanni as well thanking him.

I replied to your message, but got an undeliverable message.

> I'll see about
> releasing my code I've got so far
> which could be used by someone starting out in Seaside as a starting
> point for their own database login based application..

It'd be good to see how others are approaching the problems.