Saving Projects Broken? Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image

jrm

Saving Projects Broken? Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image

jrm
/Smalltalk/Squeak64/Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image
Squeak5.1
latest update: #16549
Current Change Set: WorkSpace
Image format 68021 (64 bit)

I have no experience with saving projects, but I thought I would try it and see how it works.

The image I am using has four projects:
1. The root project that opens in a fresh image
2. A Morphic project
3.1 Another Morphic project and,
3.2 An MVC project in the 3.1 Morphic project.

When trying to save 2, I get an error message.

Note: I also tried this on a fresh image with the same results.
a. Open new (as downloaded) image.
b. Create Morphic project, make no changes, just open it.
c. Try to save it >> error

It looks like it is trying to process "(TheWorldMainDockingBar>>#toggleFullScreenOn: "a CompiledMethod(2777225)")"

jrm

Re: Saving Projects Broken? Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi John-Reed,

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 3:21 PM, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
/Smalltalk/Squeak64/Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image
Squeak5.1
latest update: #16549
Current Change Set: WorkSpace
Image format 68021 (64 bit)

I have no experience with saving projects, but I thought I would try it and see how it works.

The image I am using has four projects:
1. The root project that opens in a fresh image
2. A Morphic project
3.1 Another Morphic project and,
3.2 An MVC project in the 3.1 Morphic project.

When trying to save 2, I get an error message.

Note: I also tried this on a fresh image with the same results.
a. Open new (as downloaded) image.
b. Create Morphic project, make no changes, just open it.
c. Try to save it >> error

It looks like it is trying to process "(TheWorldMainDockingBar>>#toggleFullScreenOn: "a CompiledMethod(2777225)")"

Yes, there are VM bugs with ImageSegment on Spur.  I haven't had time to debug yet.  Things have been getting slowly better (recently the size limit for Spur image segments was lifted) but I haven't got the bugs out yet.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Saving Projects Broken? Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image

Hannes Hirzel
Squeak 4.6 is the last image where project saving works. Maybe it is
possible to use that version in the meantime.

Or alternatively copy all your morphs on the world PasteUpMorph to a
RectangleMorph and save that as a '*.morph* file.

Depending on which morphs you have used the *.morph files may be
dropped into on a desktop of  a wide range of Squeak versions.

More on alternatives which might work see
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6451

--Hannes

On 11/8/17, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi John-Reed,
>
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 3:21 PM, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> /Smalltalk/Squeak64/Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image
>> Squeak5.1
>> latest update: #16549
>> Current Change Set: WorkSpace
>> Image format 68021 (64 bit)
>>
>> I have no experience with saving projects, but I thought I would try it
>> and see how it works.
>>
>> The image I am using has four projects:
>> 1. The root project that opens in a fresh image
>> 2. A Morphic project
>> 3.1 Another Morphic project and,
>> 3.2 An MVC project in the 3.1 Morphic project.
>>
>> When trying to save 2, I get an error message.
>>
>> Note: I also tried this on a fresh image with the same results.
>> a. Open new (as downloaded) image.
>> b. Create Morphic project, make no changes, just open it.
>> c. Try to save it >> error
>>
>> It looks like it is trying to process
>> "(TheWorldMainDockingBar>>#toggleFullScreenOn:
>> "a CompiledMethod(2777225)")"
>>

> Yes, there are VM bugs with ImageSegment on Spur.  I haven't had time to
> debug yet.  Things have been getting slowly better (recently the size limit
> for Spur image segments was lifted) but I haven't got the bugs out yet.
>

> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot

Re: Saving Projects Broken? Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Hannes,

    in the latest VM commit I fixed a serious bug with image segments.  This could have fixed project saving.  If you have time and e drug please test.  Thanks.

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

jrm

Re: Saving Projects Broken? Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image

jrm
Version: Squeak5.1
Update: 16551

Testing on an image with multiple Morphic and one MVC project. Fails in both.

-jrm

SqueakDebug.log (21K) Download Attachment

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Version: Squeak5.1
Update: 16551

Testing on an image with multiple Morphic and one MVC project. Fails in both.

I think this is good news :-).  a) it's not a VM crash, b) you're well behind the update stream which is here abouts:

==========  Update completed:  17587 -> 17596 ==========

So try updating and see how you get one.

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Saving Projects Broken? Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image

Hannes Hirzel
And you need a recent VM. Otherwise it will crash as well.

--HH

jrm

Re: Saving Projects Broken? Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image

jrm
Tried again with:

I assume that this includes a recent VM, if not, I will need some advice on where to get one, which I think I need because I did crash again.

jrm

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 10:35 AM, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tried again with:

I assume that this includes a recent VM, if not, I will need some advice on where to get one, which I think I need because I did crash again.

You can get the latest VMs from  https://dl.bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/

The place to find this link is on the Downloads page of squeak.org.  It's the Virtual Machines, Open Smalltalk VMs, trunk link.

Apparently there's also a link on the opensmalltalk/vm webpage on github but I can never see it.  I have bad link blindness.

HTH

--
best, Eliot

Re: Saving Projects Broken? Squeak5.1-16549-64bit.2.image

fniephaus

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 at 7:35 pm, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tried again with:

I assume that this includes a recent VM, if not, I will need some advice on where to get one, which I think I need because I did crash again.

I will update the VMs that come with our trunk bundles soon, the current ones are actually quite old...