Saving a project...kaput?

Michael Rice
Haven't Squeaked in a while, refreshing my memory I tried creating a simple example script:
1) drag a line morph into the playfield
2) open a view on it
3) drag a new script from the line view to the playfield
4) drag a turn script from the line view to the new line script
5) name the new line script "rotate"
6) save the project

I get this error walkback: Scrapbook(Object)>> doesNotUnderstand: #emptyScrapsBook

I noticed that the save widget file list doesn't include my Squeaklets folder even though it exists in ../Content/Resources
Also, no sound, no matter whether I select Dummy... or the alternative.

I'm using Fedora Linux 64-bit.

Suggestions? Move to Window 8.1?

Michael

Re: Saving a project...kaput?

Bert Freudenberg
On 13.12.2014, at 17:51, Michael Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

Haven't Squeaked in a while, refreshing my memory I tried creating a simple example script:
1) drag a line morph into the playfield
2) open a view on it
3) drag a new script from the line view to the playfield
4) drag a turn script from the line view to the new line script
5) name the new line script "rotate"
6) save the project

I get this error walkback: Scrapbook(Object)>> doesNotUnderstand: #emptyScrapsBook

I noticed that the save widget file list doesn't include my Squeaklets folder even though it exists in ../Content/Resources
Also, no sound, no matter whether I select Dummy... or the alternative.

I'm using Fedora Linux 64-bit.

Suggestions? Move to Window 8.1?

For doing Etoys tile scripting you're much better off using the Squeakland version:

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Saving a project...kaput?

Michael Rice
I loaded an old etoys project (attached pic) and it worked fine.

Thanks!

What would I use Squeak for?

Michael

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Screenshot from 2014-12-13 13:40:23.png (89K) Download Attachment

Re: Saving a project...kaput?

Herbert König
Hi Michael,

Squeak is the Smalltalk programming environment which has been used to
create Etoys (and Scratch).

Saving a Project is indeed kaputt since the introduction of environments
in Squeak 4.5 but to be fixed.

Tile scripting is particular to Squeak (vs. other Smalltalks) and has
been much improved in Etoys and is the main paradigm there. That  is why
Bert suggested it to you. But  you can break into Etoys to get the raw
underlying Squeak (Bert would know how).

Back to your Question:

> What would I use Squeak for?

Developing Smalltalk applications of any kind. The whole object
orientation thing was made popular by Smalltalk and the term was coined
by a (the?) Inventor of Smalltalk, Alan Kay.  Personally I use projects
as a creativity tool (a drawing beside the code to illustrate what it
does) in my Smalltalk development. And as multiple desktops like Linux
has, just so much more powerful :-))

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: Saving a project...kaput?

Michael Rice
Thanks, Herbert.

If it's not too much trouble, please send me a simple example of your code along side graphics. Sounds interesting.

Michael

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

kdp

Re: Saving a project...kaput?

kdp
I had just this problem the other day.

Saving a Project is indeed kaputt since the introduction of environments in Squeak 4.5 but to be fixed.

Herbert, you mention Squeak environments. Any idea where I can get more info about them and the differences between environments and projects?

<3 Ken

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Michael Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Environments is an implementation of namespaces. Your MightyClass>>fancyMethod doesn't collide with my MightyClass>>fancyMethod because they live in different namespaces in the same image. Pretty helpful if you use lots of other packages. The old solution was prefixing your class names.  Environments are deeply entangled into the guts of Squeak.

It has nothing to do with projects, just many things needed to be made aware of environments and project saving broke.

You would have to search the archives of squeak dev for technical information.

Cheers

Herbert