Saving a project's windows

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

   I'd love to be able to save just the windows form a project.  Ideally I'd save also the changes from dirty packages, but that's basically all.  I'm trying the PUBLISH items in the Project (preview) window, and it either tries to create a huge word segment (the first PUBLISH option) or tries to compute a relevant compactClassesArray (the second option), which should be empty and if I make it empty, it looks like the Vm locks up in computing the segment.  Has anyone had any success saving projects with Spur?  Has anyone by some miracle done just the saving of project windows?  Any hints on avoiding the size explosion with the first PUBLISH option?

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

tty

Re: Saving a project's windows

tty
I have been using Squeak since the 3.x days and have never successfully saved a project. Back then a 'grid' would mask the World and then nothing would happen for hours.....

---- On Sun, 22 May 2016 21:20:00 -0400 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote ----
Hi All,

   I'd love to be able to save just the windows form a project.  Ideally I'd save also the changes from dirty packages, but that's basically all.  I'm trying the PUBLISH items in the Project (preview) window, and it either tries to create a huge word segment (the first PUBLISH option) or tries to compute a relevant compactClassesArray (the second option), which should be empty and if I make it empty, it looks like the Vm locks up in computing the segment.  Has anyone had any success saving projects with Spur?  Has anyone by some miracle done just the saving of project windows?  Any hints on avoiding the size explosion with the first PUBLISH option?

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Saving a project's windows

Bert Freudenberg
On 23.05.2016, at 03:20, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    I'd love to be able to save just the windows form a project.  Ideally I'd save also the changes from dirty packages, but that's basically all.  I'm trying the PUBLISH items in the Project (preview) window, and it either tries to create a huge word segment (the first PUBLISH option) or tries to compute a relevant compactClassesArray (the second option), which should be empty and if I make it empty, it looks like the Vm locks up in computing the segment.

I’d use the “Save Project” menu item from the “Projects” menu in the menu bar. (not sure where you see the “publish” option)

But I get a fatal error ...

> Has anyone had any success saving projects with Spur?  Has anyone by some miracle done just the saving of project windows?  Any hints on avoiding the size explosion with the first PUBLISH option?

The size shouldn’t explode: in an Etoys, image, when I save a project with just a system browser and a workspace, it’s coming out as 66 KB, which seems reasonable.

In Trunk we have neglected project import/export for a long time. It shouldn’t be that hard to fix, but getting the details right is somewhat finicky.

We might ask Ted for help, he’d be the one who could most easily fix it.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Saving a project's windows

Karl Ramberg
Projects broke with Environments. It got a fix but I don't know how well it is working

Karl

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23.05.2016, at 03:20, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    I'd love to be able to save just the windows form a project.  Ideally I'd save also the changes from dirty packages, but that's basically all.  I'm trying the PUBLISH items in the Project (preview) window, and it either tries to create a huge word segment (the first PUBLISH option) or tries to compute a relevant compactClassesArray (the second option), which should be empty and if I make it empty, it looks like the Vm locks up in computing the segment.

I’d use the “Save Project” menu item from the “Projects” menu in the menu bar. (not sure where you see the “publish” option)

But I get a fatal error ...

> Has anyone had any success saving projects with Spur?  Has anyone by some miracle done just the saving of project windows?  Any hints on avoiding the size explosion with the first PUBLISH option?

The size shouldn’t explode: in an Etoys, image, when I save a project with just a system browser and a workspace, it’s coming out as 66 KB, which seems reasonable.

In Trunk we have neglected project import/export for a long time. It shouldn’t be that hard to fix, but getting the details right is somewhat finicky.

We might ask Ted for help, he’d be the one who could most easily fix it.

- Bert -

Re: Saving a project's windows

Chris Muller-3
Hi Eliot, the Ma Serializer has been able to serialize Squeak projects
since the 3.x days.

Load the (head) version of "MaBase" from SqueakMap.  Then:

   MaObjectSerializer new
          fileOut: yourProject
          toFileNamed: fileNameString
          in: someFileDirectory

You can then file it in using:

    MaObjectSerializer fileIn: (someFileDirectory entryAt: fileNameString)

If you look at MaObjectSerializer>>#setUpPreAndPostProcessing, you can
see I have pre/post hooks for saving instances of Projects.  I have
not tested it in a while, but I know it DID work...

HTH.