Saving in Pharo

Mohammad Al Houssami (Alumni)

Hello everyone,

This is probably the stupidest question you might get but when you hit cmd + s when coding doesn't this save the image ? I've been working for 8 hours now  and when I closed pharo I pressed YES for quite without saving because im stupid!!!! I lost all my work right ? :)
I have to right click and save for the changes to be saved right ? :)
Is there anyway to get them back or shall I forget about it ?

Im so desperate

Thanks

Mohammad

Re: Saving in Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Mohammad Al Houssami (Alumni) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

This is probably the stupidest question you might get but when you hit cmd + s when coding doesn't this save the image ? I've been working for 8 hours now  and when I closed pharo I pressed YES for quite without saving because im stupid!!!! I lost all my work right ? :)

Of course not ;)

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/pharo-tips-and-tricks/
title "Recovering lost code:"
I paste it here:

- Recovering lost code: Probably, one of the things Smalltalkers are always proud of saying is “In Smalltalk you never lose code” hehhehe. So… your vm crashed and you didn’t save your code? Well, there are different ways of recovering the code.

1) Tools -> Recover lost changes. There you can select the date from where to start watching the changes. Once you select a point in time, you can go item by item seeing what you want to recover. What I usually do is multi-select all the ones I want to recover and then I click on “file in selections”. That will install back those lost changes. Notice that this is thanks to the .changes file so you need it in order to recover changes. Also notice that even Do-Its are saved.

2) If your image does not even start, are you screwed up? No! You can even browse the changes and recover your lost data in ANOTHER image. Just open another image and then drag and drop the .changes of the image you lost the data. Then repeat the option 1).

3) You can always take your prefer text editor, open the .changes file and copy paste

Mariano

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Saving in Pharo

Mohammad Al Houssami (Alumni)

I've tried it and got all my work back. It’s a great feature in Pharo !! Im sooooo happy I got my work back

How can I thank you enough?

Mohammad

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Saving in Pharo

stephane ducasse
<base href="x-msg://90/">Mohammad

What I suggest is the following cycle
- write a test
-> red
- write code until it is green
- commit code
- drink something
save your image all the way
- take new image
- load code
- run the tests -> green = good feeling
Now we cannot do that marvellous cycle but get inspired.

On Mar 16, 2013, at 1:58 AM, Mohammad Al Houssami (Alumni) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

This is probably the stupidest question you might get but when you hit cmd + s when coding doesn't this save the image ? I've been working for 8 hours now  and when I closed pharo I pressed YES for quite without saving because im stupid!!!! I lost all my work right ? :)
I have to right click and save for the changes to be saved right ? :)
Is there anyway to get them back or shall I forget about it ?
Im so desperate

Re: Saving in Pharo

stephane ducasse
<base href="x-msg://93/">
On Mar 16, 2013, at 8:59 AM, "Mohammad Al Houssami (Alumni)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've tried it and got all my work back. It’s a great feature in Pharo !! Im sooooo happy I got my work back
How can I thank you enough?

commit more often :)

Mohammad

Re: Saving in Pharo

Carla F. Griggio
Hi!
Glad you recovered your work, Mohammad.

Anyway, is there a shortcut to save the image? I googled it but nothing clear appeared within the first results and gave up :P