Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Saving selected changes in Monticello

Andreas Sunardi
I have a half done changes in my image, but I need to distribute the other changes that are done. I thought I was going to do this all at once, but now I realize I should split this into 2 commit versions.

Is there a way in Monticello to say save my changes, but not this and that changes? I can't seem to find it nor in books. How do people deal with this situation?

--
Andreas Sunardi
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Saving selected changes in Monticello

Ben Coman

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a half done changes in my image, but I need to distribute the other changes that are done. I thought I was going to do this all at once, but now I realize I should split this into 2 commit versions.

Is there a way in Monticello to say save my changes, but not this and that changes? I can't seem to find it nor in books. How do people deal with this situation?

AFAIK, Monticello cannot cherry pick.  One work around is probably something like... 
1. Save the mcz locally
2. Merge back into a fresh image selecting only the bits you want.  
3. Save as a second mcz.
One issue is that the second mcz will have the first mcz as an ancestor, so before 2 you might create a new changeset to file out after 2, and load that into a second new image. yuck!

Another alternative might be to use Tools > ChangeSorter to move the code you want to exclude from the mcz to a changeset, file that out and then revert that code in the image. After save the package to a mcz, reload the changeset. 

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

SergeStinckwich
Kommiter available in default image allows you do cherry pick quite easily.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 5 juin 2017 à 07:14, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:

AFAIK, Monticello cannot cherry pick.  One work around is probably something like... 
1. Save the mcz locally
2. Merge back into a fresh image selecting only the bits you want.  
3. Save as a second mcz.
One issue is that the second mcz will have the first mcz as an ancestor, so before 2 you might create a new changeset to file out after 2, and load that into a second new image. yuck!

Another alternative might be to use Tools > ChangeSorter to move the code you want to exclude from the mcz to a changeset, file that out and then revert that code in the image. After save the package to a mcz, reload the changeset. 

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Uhnak
Komitter could indeed help you, see https://www.peteruhnak.com/blog/2016/08/12/fine-grained-committing-and-extending-nautilus/

Peter

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 08:27:23AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Kommiter available in default image allows you do cherry pick quite easily.
>
> Envoyé de mon iPhone
>
> > Le 5 juin 2017 à 07:14, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> >
> >
> >> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I have a half done changes in my image, but I need to distribute the other changes that are done. I thought I was going to do this all at once, but now I realize I should split this into 2 commit versions.
> >>
> >> Is there a way in Monticello to say save my changes, but not this and that changes? I can't seem to find it nor in books. How do people deal with this situation?
> >
> > AFAIK, Monticello cannot cherry pick.  One work around is probably something like...
> > 1. Save the mcz locally
> > 2. Merge back into a fresh image selecting only the bits you want.  
> > 3. Save as a second mcz.
> > One issue is that the second mcz will have the first mcz as an ancestor, so before 2 you might create a new changeset to file out after 2, and load that into a second new image. yuck!
> >
> > Another alternative might be to use Tools > ChangeSorter to move the code you want to exclude from the mcz to a changeset, file that out and then revert that code in the image. After save the package to a mcz, reload the changeset.
> >
> > cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas Sunardi
I definitely will check Komitter and I can use and fallback to Ben's method. Thank you to all of you.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 12:58 AM, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Komitter could indeed help you, see https://www.peteruhnak.com/blog/2016/08/12/fine-grained-committing-and-extending-nautilus/

Peter

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 08:27:23AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> Kommiter available in default image allows you do cherry pick quite easily.
>
> Envoyé de mon iPhone
>
> > Le 5 juin 2017 à 07:14, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> >
> >
> >> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I have a half done changes in my image, but I need to distribute the other changes that are done. I thought I was going to do this all at once, but now I realize I should split this into 2 commit versions.
> >>
> >> Is there a way in Monticello to say save my changes, but not this and that changes? I can't seem to find it nor in books. How do people deal with this situation?
> >
> > AFAIK, Monticello cannot cherry pick.  One work around is probably something like...
> > 1. Save the mcz locally
> > 2. Merge back into a fresh image selecting only the bits you want.
> > 3. Save as a second mcz.
> > One issue is that the second mcz will have the first mcz as an ancestor, so before 2 you might create a new changeset to file out after 2, and load that into a second new image. yuck!
> >
> > Another alternative might be to use Tools > ChangeSorter to move the code you want to exclude from the mcz to a changeset, file that out and then revert that code in the image. After save the package to a mcz, reload the changeset.
> >
> > cheers -ben