Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Hi all, I am trying to put together an up-to-date list of schools, colleges or universities that are currently teaching Smalltalk.

The statistics from world.st (topped by Montevideo, Uruguay) and forum.world.st (Ankara, Turkey being the one leading the list) did reveal some interesting information which could help ESUG to target their promotion efforts.

Looking forwards seeing replies of any academic organisations promoting Smalltalk (contact persons?)

Re: Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

Mariano Martinez Peck
HI Geert. We have several in Argentina.
Please, take a look to this link: http://groups.google.com/group/clubsmalltalk/web/borrador-empresas-que-usan-smalltalk-en-la-regin
In the second big table, where it says  "Instituciones que usan Smalltalk en Argentina"
You have two columns "Docentes" -> teachers
and "contactos" ;)

BTW, I cc'ed the Spanish mailing list so that they can directly answer. I think such list deserves an update also.

Best regards,

Mariano

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Thanks Mariano.  I found some lists too but most seemed very dated so I thought lets get an up-to-date list together.  Excellent :)

Re: Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

Andy Kellens
Hi Geert,

At the Vrije Universiteit Brussel we are currently (and have been for quite some years) teaching a course on principles of object-oriented languages where we use Smalltalk.

Kind regards,

Andy

On 02 May 2011, at 09:55, Geert Claes wrote:

> Hi all, I am trying to put together an up-to-date list of schools, colleges
> or universities that are currently teaching Smalltalk.
>
> The statistics from world.st (topped by Montevideo, Uruguay) and
> forum.world.st (Ankara, Turkey being the one leading the list) did reveal
> some interesting information which could help ESUG to target their promotion
> efforts.
>
> Looking forwards seeing replies of any academic organisations promoting
> Smalltalk (contact persons?)

Re: Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
I have started a page to list the educational institutions at: www.world.st/academia

Re: Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

jfabry

Here at Universidad de Chile (Santiago, Chile) we are teaching Smalltalk in at least 2 courses: one of Alex and one of mine.

On 02 May 2011, at 03:55, Geert Claes wrote:

> Hi all, I am trying to put together an up-to-date list of schools, colleges
> or universities that are currently teaching Smalltalk.
>
> The statistics from world.st (topped by Montevideo, Uruguay) and
> forum.world.st (Ankara, Turkey being the one leading the list) did reveal
> some interesting information which could help ESUG to target their promotion
> efforts.
>
> Looking forwards seeing replies of any academic organisations promoting
> Smalltalk (contact persons?)

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
I added a map to get a more geographic idea of where Smalltalk is used academically (see: world.st/academia).

So far Argentina's listings seems to be leading by far but I assume the list is far from complete as I still have no indication why Montevideo/Uruguay or Ankara/Turkey have so many visits to world.st.

Please do notify us of any other academic institutions where Smalltalk is used.

Re: Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

Nicolás Paez
Hi Geert

I am teaching OOP using Smalltalk at Universidad de Buenos Aires (Argentina).

Saludos!
Nico.
blog: nicopaez.wordpress.com

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have started a page to list the educational institutions at:
http://www.world.st/academia www.world.st/academia

Re: Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Hi Geert,

Luc and I do teach Smalltalk in our university (Ecole des Mines de Douai, http://www.mines-douai.fr).
We do use Pharo.

We're located in the city of Douai in the north of France (30 km from Lille).
So, Stéf is also contributing to our Smalltalk courses :-)

Noury
http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
--

On 2 mai 2011, at 09:55, Geert Claes wrote:

> Hi all, I am trying to put together an up-to-date list of schools, colleges
> or universities that are currently teaching Smalltalk.
>
> The statistics from world.st (topped by Montevideo, Uruguay) and
> forum.world.st (Ankara, Turkey being the one leading the list) did reveal
> some interesting information which could help ESUG to target their promotion
> efforts.
>
> Looking forwards seeing replies of any academic organisations promoting
> Smalltalk (contact persons?)

Re: Schools, Colleges, Universities ...

Noury Bouraqadi-2
I forgot to mention that in our university, since several years (5 or 6 I can't rember) we are proud to have a Smalltalker as a member of our steering committee as a representative of the software industry. And guess who is this Smalltalker : Georg Heeg (founder of Heeg e.k and STIC Executive Director) :-)

BTW, I started teaching Smalltalk in Ecole des Mines de Douai since 2003 (I taught it elsewhere before).
And my research is in Smalltalk since 1995 :-)

Noury

On 3 mai 2011, at 15:16, Noury Bouraqadi wrote:

> Hi Geert,
>
> Luc and I do teach Smalltalk in our university (Ecole des Mines de Douai, http://www.mines-douai.fr).
> We do use Pharo.
>
> We're located in the city of Douai in the north of France (30 km from Lille).
> So, Stéf is also contributing to our Smalltalk courses :-)
>
> Noury
> http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
> --
>
> On 2 mai 2011, at 09:55, Geert Claes wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I am trying to put together an up-to-date list of schools, colleges
>> or universities that are currently teaching Smalltalk.
>>
>> The statistics from world.st (topped by Montevideo, Uruguay) and
>> forum.world.st (Ankara, Turkey being the one leading the list) did reveal
>> some interesting information which could help ESUG to target their promotion
>> efforts.
>>
>> Looking forwards seeing replies of any academic organisations promoting
>> Smalltalk (contact persons?)
>>
>> --

Noury Bouraqadi
http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
--
-6th National Conference on
“Control Architecture of Robots”

-19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011

-19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France