Scratch Day !!!

SergeStinckwich
Hi all,

May 21st 2011 is Scratch Day worldwide: http://day.scratch.mit.edu/
If you don't know what is scratch, this is very nice very visual
language in order to do animation and control also embedded systems.
More information here: http://scratch.mit.edu/

Scratch is open-source and written in Squeak Smalltalk. A version of
Scratch is available on XO OLPC.

Maybe we could try to organize something in Ha Noi ?
Several alternatives are possible for a Scratch Day:
- invite educators to discover Scratch
- presentation of local scratch projects
- informal gathering of Scratchers.

Any Scratchers (or wanabee scratchers) in Ha Noi ? Viet Nam ?

We some friends, we are working on porting Scratch to a more modern
version of Squeak, called Pharo (because we don't like green
interfaces and we want to open Scratch to code contributions from
people who are working on using Scratch with external devices like
arduino).
We already have some portion of the software working.
So i'm willing to do wild Scratch coding sessions :-)

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: Scratch Day !!!

SergeStinckwich
Nobody interested to organize a Scratch Day in Vietnam ?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> May 21st 2011 is Scratch Day worldwide: http://day.scratch.mit.edu/
> If you don't know what is scratch, this is very nice very visual
> language in order to do animation and control also embedded systems.
> More information here: http://scratch.mit.edu/
>
> Scratch is open-source and written in Squeak Smalltalk. A version of
> Scratch is available on XO OLPC.
>
> Maybe we could try to organize something in Ha Noi ?
> Several alternatives are possible for a Scratch Day:
> - invite educators to discover Scratch
> - presentation of local scratch projects
> - informal gathering of Scratchers.
>
> Any Scratchers (or wanabee scratchers) in Ha Noi ? Viet Nam ?
>
> We some friends, we are working on porting Scratch to a more modern
> version of Squeak, called Pharo (because we don't like green
> interfaces and we want to open Scratch to code contributions from
> people who are working on using Scratch with external devices like
> arduino).
> We already have some portion of the software working.
> So i'm willing to do wild Scratch coding sessions :-)
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Scratch Day !!!

cmpitg
On Tue, 10 May 2011, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Nobody interested to organize a Scratch Day in Vietnam ?
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Scratch is open-source and written in Squeak Smalltalk. A version of
> > Scratch is available on XO OLPC.
> >
> > Maybe we could try to organize something in Ha Noi ?
> > Several alternatives are possible for a Scratch Day:
> > - invite educators to discover Scratch
> > - presentation of local scratch projects
> > - informal gathering of Scratchers.
> >
> > Any Scratchers (or wanabee scratchers) in Ha Noi ? Viet Nam ?
> >
> > We some friends, we are working on porting Scratch to a more modern
> > version of Squeak, called Pharo (because we don't like green
> > interfaces and we want to open Scratch to code contributions from
> > people who are working on using Scratch with external devices like
> > arduino).
> > We already have some portion of the software working.
> > So i'm willing to do wild Scratch coding sessions :-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Serge Stinckwich
> > UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> > Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> > http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Dear Serge,

Oh, I couldn't believe I have missed your email!!!  I support the idea
af a Scratch day in Hanoi.  This is a good chance for promote
Smalltalk Squeak/Pharo.  Also, it's a great chance for me to get my
hands dirty with Smalltalk again.  I haven't used Smalltalk for a
while.

What's your proposed activities for a Scratch day in Hanoi?  What
about PR & Communication?  How should we do some promotion on events
like Coding Dojo, Hackfest, etc.?

Cheers,
Yang
--
Dương "Yang" ヤン Hà Nguyễn
Web log: http://cmpitg.wordpress.com/

[ Do not send me Microsoft Office attachments, please.
  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html ]

Yang Ha Nguyen,
Life is a hack

Re: Scratch Day !!!

SergeStinckwich
2011/5/12 Duong "Yang" ヤン Ha Nguyen <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 10 May 2011, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>> Nobody interested to organize a Scratch Day in Vietnam ?
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Serge Stinckwich
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Scratch is open-source and written in Squeak Smalltalk. A version of
>> > Scratch is available on XO OLPC.
>> >
>> > Maybe we could try to organize something in Ha Noi ?
>> > Several alternatives are possible for a Scratch Day:
>> > - invite educators to discover Scratch
>> > - presentation of local scratch projects
>> > - informal gathering of Scratchers.
>> >
>> > Any Scratchers (or wanabee scratchers) in Ha Noi ? Viet Nam ?
>> >
>> > We some friends, we are working on porting Scratch to a more modern
>> > version of Squeak, called Pharo (because we don't like green
>> > interfaces and we want to open Scratch to code contributions from
>> > people who are working on using Scratch with external devices like
>> > arduino).
>> > We already have some portion of the software working.
>> > So i'm willing to do wild Scratch coding sessions :-)
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > --
>> > Serge Stinckwich
>> > UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> > Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> > http://doesnotunderstand.org/
>> >

> Dear Serge,
>
> Oh, I couldn't believe I have missed your email!!!  I support the idea
> af a Scratch day in Hanoi.  This is a good chance for promote
> Smalltalk Squeak/Pharo.  Also, it's a great chance for me to get my
> hands dirty with Smalltalk again.  I haven't used Smalltalk for a
> while.

Maybe i send too much emails :-)

> What's your proposed activities for a Scratch day in Hanoi?  What
> about PR & Communication?  How should we do some promotion on events
> like Coding Dojo, Hackfest, etc.?

I have no clear picture at the moment. Maybe we could do some Scratch
demo to attract people (kids, educators, developers, ...)
to this platform, but i lacking connections with the education
community in Vietnam.

We already start to work on a port of Scratch to Pharo 1.2 with some
friends: http://code.google.com/p/scat/
As Scratch Day is the same day of CodingDojo (saturday May 21st), this
could be the opportunity to do a super-codingdojo in order to refactor
the code with tests
with the help of the mikado method: http://mikadomethod.wordpress.com/

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [HanoiLUG] [Smalltalk-vn] Re: Scratch Day !!!

Jean Christophe André
Le 2011-05-12 22:51 +0700, Duong "Yang" ヤン Ha Nguyen a écrit :
> > Nobody interested to organize a Scratch Day in Vietnam ?
>
> Oh, I couldn't believe I have missed your email!!!
> I support the idea af a Scratch day in Hanoi.

If you need a place for fewer than 30 people, the CNF could
welcome this activity too.

If you need a place for more than 30 people, we could ask IFI.
--
Jean Christophe ANDRÉ  —  Coordonnateur des infrastructures techniques
Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF)  —   http://www.auf.org/

Re: [HanoiLUG] [Smalltalk-vn] Re: Scratch Day !!!

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Jean Christophe André
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 2011-05-12 22:51 +0700, Duong "Yang" ヤン Ha Nguyen a écrit :
>> > Nobody interested to organize a Scratch Day in Vietnam ?
>>
>> Oh, I couldn't believe I have missed your email!!!
>> I support the idea af a Scratch day in Hanoi.
>
> If you need a place for fewer than 30 people, the CNF could
> welcome this activity too.
>
> If you need a place for more than 30 people, we could ask IFI.

Inside the amphitheater we could have more than 30 people.
For developers, we will be less than 30 i guess :-)

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [OLPCVietnam] Re: [Smalltalk-vn] Re: Scratch Day !!!

Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
2011/5/12 Duong "Yang" ヤン Ha Nguyen <[hidden email]>:
> Oh, I couldn't believe I have missed your email!!!  I support the idea
> af a Scratch day in Hanoi.  This is a good chance for promote
> Smalltalk Squeak/Pharo.  Also, it's a great chance for me to get my
> hands dirty with Smalltalk again.  I haven't used Smalltalk for a
> while.

I've never used Smalltalk but heard a lot of it and would definitely
join a smalltalk meeting in hcm city. I guess it's over though :)
--
Duy

Re: Scratch Day !!!

cmpitg
On Thu, 12 May 2011, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Maybe i send too much emails :-)

No, you've sent many emails but that's not enough ;-)

> > What's your proposed activities for a Scratch day in Hanoi?  What
> > about PR & Communication?  How should we do some promotion on events
> > like Coding Dojo, Hackfest, etc.?
>
> I have no clear picture at the moment. Maybe we could do some Scratch
> demo to attract people (kids, educators, developers, ...)
> to this platform, but i lacking connections with the education
> community in Vietnam.

Beginning with demonstration, then getting deeper and deeper depends
on aspect, sounds great to me.  I have some connection with the
Vietnamese education community.  I'll see what I can do after I dig
deep into Scratch.

> We already start to work on a port of Scratch to Pharo 1.2 with some
> friends: http://code.google.com/p/scat/
> As Scratch Day is the same day of CodingDojo (saturday May 21st), this
> could be the opportunity to do a super-codingdojo in order to refactor
> the code with tests
> with the help of the mikado method: http://mikadomethod.wordpress.com/
>
> Regards,

I have taken a look at the book and briefly read the code on Mikado's
[1] Github repository but for now I still don't get it.  Maybe a
presentation about Mikado method on the Coding Dojo session tomorrow
would be good, Serge?

[1] https://github.com/mikadomethod/

Regards,
Yang

Yang Ha Nguyen,
Life is a hack

Re: [HanoiLUG] [Smalltalk-vn] Re: Scratch Day !!!

cmpitg
On Thu, 12 May 2011, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Jean Christophe André
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh, I couldn't believe I have missed your email!!!
> >> I support the idea af a Scratch day in Hanoi.
> >
> > If you need a place for fewer than 30 people, the CNF could
> > welcome this activity too.
> >
> > If you need a place for more than 30 people, we could ask IFI.
>
> Inside the amphitheater we could have more than 30 people.
> For developers, we will be less than 30 i guess :-)
>
> Regards,

And for first Vietnamese users, too.  BabySteps ;-)

--
Dương "Yang" ヤン Hà Nguyễn
Web log: http://cmpitg.wordpress.com/
"Life is a hack"

[ Do not send me Microsoft Office attachments, please.
  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html ]

Yang Ha Nguyen,
Life is a hack

Re: [HanoiLUG] [OLPCVietnam] Re: [Smalltalk-vn] Re: Scratch Day !!!

cmpitg
On Fri, 13 May 2011, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:

> 2011/5/12 Duong "Yang" ヤン Ha Nguyen <[hidden email]>:
> > Oh, I couldn't believe I have missed your email!!!  I support the idea
> > af a Scratch day in Hanoi.  This is a good chance for promote
> > Smalltalk Squeak/Pharo.  Also, it's a great chance for me to get my
> > hands dirty with Smalltalk again.  I haven't used Smalltalk for a
> > while.
>
> I've never used Smalltalk but heard a lot of it and would definitely
> join a smalltalk meeting in hcm city. I guess it's over though :)
> --
> Duy

Why don't you just start one? ;-)

Regards,
Dương "Yang"

Yang Ha Nguyen,
Life is a hack

Re: [OLPCVietnam] Re: [Smalltalk-vn] Re: Scratch Day !!!

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2011/5/12 Duong "Yang" ヤン Ha Nguyen <[hidden email]>:
>> Oh, I couldn't believe I have missed your email!!!  I support the idea
>> af a Scratch day in Hanoi.  This is a good chance for promote
>> Smalltalk Squeak/Pharo.  Also, it's a great chance for me to get my
>> hands dirty with Smalltalk again.  I haven't used Smalltalk for a
>> while.
>
> I've never used Smalltalk but heard a lot of it and would definitely
> join a smalltalk meeting in hcm city. I guess it's over though :)

Sorry, but i'm located in Ha Noi, but i'd like to come to HCMC to do
some Smalltalk :-)

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [HanoiLUG] [OLPCVietnam] Re: [Smalltalk-vn] Re: Scratch Day !!!

SergeStinckwich
There was a Scrath Day in HCMC two years ago, but it was mainly kids
and user oriented.

2011/5/13 Duong "Yang" ヤン Ha Nguyen <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 13 May 2011, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
>
>> 2011/5/12 Duong "Yang" ヤン Ha Nguyen <[hidden email]>:
>> > Oh, I couldn't believe I have missed your email!!!  I support the idea
>> > af a Scratch day in Hanoi.  This is a good chance for promote
>> > Smalltalk Squeak/Pharo.  Also, it's a great chance for me to get my
>> > hands dirty with Smalltalk again.  I haven't used Smalltalk for a
>> > while.
>>
>> I've never used Smalltalk but heard a lot of it and would definitely
>> join a smalltalk meeting in hcm city. I guess it's over though :)
>> --
>> Duy
>>

> Why don't you just start one? ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Dương "Yang"
> --
> Dương "Yang" ヤン Hà Nguyễn
> Web log: http://cmpitg.wordpress.com/
> "Life is a hack"
>
> [ Do not send me Microsoft Office attachments, please.
>  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html ]

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [HanoiLUG] [OLPCVietnam] Re: [Smalltalk-vn] Re: Scratch Day !!!

Mario Behling
Hi Serge,

it would be great if you could come over to the South for some
scratching at one point.

I would like to give you some more ideas: As you see on the mailing
list, there are already people interested in HCM. Secondly in Cantho
we have space available for training and hacking activities in our
company building right in the center and would love to host a Scratch
Day. Thirdly, we are already doing trainings about IT and
Environmental Education with 45 teachers in Bac Lieu. Many of those
teachers are very eager to learn new things. Surely they would like to
learn about Scratch and Smalltalk. Getting them to learn about XO
activities would also be a good preparation for a potential XO project
as well.

What do you think?

Hope to welcome you here in the near future.

All the best,

Mario

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Mario Behling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Serge,

Hi Mario,

> it would be great if you could come over to the South for some
> scratching at one point.

Yes i definitively would like to come back to the south :-)
But i'm lacking time to do everything. Maybe you have seen, i launch
recently a coding-dojo in HN every saturday.
Maybe we should try to do the same in HCMC or CT.

> I would like to give you some more ideas: As you see on the mailing
> list, there are already people interested in HCM. Secondly in Cantho
> we have space available for training and hacking activities in our
> company building right in the center and would love to host a Scratch
> Day. Thirdly, we are already doing trainings about IT and
> Environmental Education with 45 teachers in Bac Lieu. Many of those
> teachers are very eager to learn new things. Surely they would like to
> learn about Scratch and Smalltalk. Getting them to learn about XO
> activities would also be a good preparation for a potential XO project
> as well.
>
> What do you think?

Do you have any specific needs ?

Regards,