Screen Flashing

Richard Eng
People are reporting to me that they're noticing "screen flashing" when they
navigate my webpages. Indeed, I've verified this myself by:

o  using Firefox, IE7, and Opera under Windows Vista
o  using Firefox and IE6 under Windows XP
o  using Firefox and Safari under OS X
o  using Firefox under Ubuntu Linux

(Interestingly, I don't see screen flashing using Safari under Windows
Vista.)

Anyway, can anyone tell me why this is happening? Visit:

http://www.goodsexnetwork.com/

(One Smalltalker asked me whether I was using Scriptaculous. AFAIK, Seaside
uses Scriptaculous automatically without my intervention.)

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Screen Flashing

Damien Cassou-3
I can't reproduce on Firefox with Ubuntu Linux.

2007/8/7, Richard K Eng <[hidden email]>:

> People are reporting to me that they're noticing "screen flashing" when they
> navigate my webpages. Indeed, I've verified this myself by:
>
> o  using Firefox, IE7, and Opera under Windows Vista
> o  using Firefox and IE6 under Windows XP
> o  using Firefox and Safari under OS X
> o  using Firefox under Ubuntu Linux
>
> (Interestingly, I don't see screen flashing using Safari under Windows
> Vista.)
>
> Anyway, can anyone tell me why this is happening? Visit:
>
> http://www.goodsexnetwork.com/
>
> (One Smalltalker asked me whether I was using Scriptaculous. AFAIK, Seaside
> uses Scriptaculous automatically without my intervention.)
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Damien Cassou

Re: Screen Flashing

Lukas Renggli
> > People are reporting to me that they're noticing "screen flashing" when they
> > navigate my webpages. Indeed, I've verified this myself by:

I guess that comes from your use of frames. When browsing the site
directly trough http://74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork I don't see any
screen flashing.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Screen Flashing

Richard Eng
I've discovered the problem. It has nothing to do with the app. It's the
fault of Apache!!!

Apparently, reverse proxying using the following httpd.conf is responsible
for the screen flashing:

LoadModule  proxy_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule  proxy_http_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_http.so
LoadModule  rewrite_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
RewriteEngine     on
ProxyRequests     off
DocumentRoot      /var/www
ProxyPass  /goodsexnetwork  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork
ProxyPassReverse /goodsexnetwork http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwor
ProxyPass         /goodsexspace   http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
ProxyPassReverse  /goodsexspace   http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
RewriteRule   ^/$   http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork/$1 [P,L]
</VirtualHost>

To prove that it's the reverse proxying that's the culprit, simply visit the
URL to which www.goodsexnetwork.com has been forwarded:

http://74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/

So I know WHO's at fault, but I still don't know WHY.

Richard

Re: Screen Flashing

Richard Eng
Lukas Renggli wrote:

I guess that comes from your use of frames. When browsing the site
directly trough http://74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork I don't see any
screen flashing.

---------

Yes, I noticed the use of frames, too. But I didn¹t put those frames there!
Who did??? Apache? WHY?

Regards,
Richard

Re: Screen Flashing

Lukas Renggli
> Yes, I noticed the use of frames, too. But I didn¹t put those frames there!
> Who did??? Apache? WHY?

Certainly not Seaside ;-)

--
Lukas Renggli