Screencast in Flash format

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nicolas et al,

I finally managed to prepare more or less right flash version of
screencast, just right in terms of bandwidth vs quality. Here it is:

        http://www.aidaweb.si/news/blog-screencast.html

I did it with Sothink Video Encoder for Adobe Flash:
http://www.sothinkmedia.com/flash-video-encoder/index.htm

This is now a streamed flash video, 80MB, but it starts playing soon. I
also decreased window size to 600x588, bitrate to 900 Kpbs and framerate
to 10 fps, This one can be even lower.

And yes, Swazoo is serving this video :)

Please let you try it to see, how good is serving working.

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Screencast in Flash format

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Ok, it seems that this Sothink Video Encoder is quite good and I'm
thinking to buy it, so that we'll have a tool for screencasts to come.
Do you see that a good idea or you know a better Win tool? Or even Linux
one?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Screencast in Flash format

Stefan Schmiedl
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:39:05 +0100
Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, it seems that this Sothink Video Encoder is quite good and I'm
> thinking to buy it, so that we'll have a tool for screencasts to come.
> Do you see that a good idea or you know a better Win tool? Or even Linux
> one?

I've used wink http://www.debugmode.com/wink/
It's free and runs everywhere I need it to. It also makes it easy to
insert "sticky notes" into recordings, so that a "really bad accent"
is no excuse any more for providing a narrative :-)

s.

Re: Screencast in Flash format

Rob Rothwell
Hello

I've been playing around with Wink as well, and you can just grab screen shots as well--sort of like a more robust PowerPoint presentation.

It even produces a web page along with the video so you could just throw them both on your server and add a link to the page if you didn't feel like getting too fancy about it in Aida...

You can also record your audio separately and add it to a frame, so if we shared the project file, you could conceivably record multiple language explanations and publish them separately, or include it one big video since it lets you add navigation controls within the video that take you to different frames.

I've been planning on using it for general purpose documentation for the applications I am working on because you could simply record how to use the application rather than try to explain how to use it!

Rob Rothwell