Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Helene Bilbo
Hi,
i have a proposition for a Pharo-Screencast:

I would love to look over someone’s shoulder while she/he is *reading* code. A possible plot would be to download something from squeaksource and then trying to make sense out of it - and talking while doing so. (It would also be good to see all the relevant functions of the browser in action).

Background: While i have read some books now (blue book, pharo by example, seaside by example, best practice patterns) i have never actually seen people programming. So i absolutely miss the craftsmanship side of things.

Anyway thank you for Pharocasts.
Best regards,
Helene.

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

laurent laffont
Hi,

indeed I don't really see how to do this sort of screencast .....

Which packages would you like to see explained ?

Laurent

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Helene Bilbo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
i have a proposition for a Pharo-Screencast:

I would love to look over someone’s shoulder while she/he is *reading* code.
A possible plot would be to download something from squeaksource and then
trying to make sense out of it - and talking while doing so. (It would also
be good to see all the relevant functions of the browser in action).

Background: While i have read some books now (blue book, pharo by example,
seaside by example, best practice patterns) i have never actually seen
people programming. So i absolutely miss the craftsmanship side of things.

Anyway thank you for Pharocasts.
Best regards,
Helene.

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Helene Bilbo
Hi,
i don’t want to see a specific package explained - i would rather like to watch, how someone will make sense of a package she/he doesn’t know (and that does not have much comments..) and tries to read and understand it.

I just sit here and try to understand SpectrumAnalyzerMorph - but perhaps this is a bad example, because it is included in Pharo 1.1.1 but doesn’t work there. This would be more a debugging show..

What kind of „strategy“ or „pattern“ do you use to understand a class/package?
Where do i start reading in the first place?
Do i search messages / try to „follow“ them using method finder?
I tried to file out classes and print them on paper - which was a bad idea..
Do you take notes? Make drawings? Just read along in the SystemBrowser?

Can you imagine a bit, what i mean? It is really very basic..
Best regards, Helene.

laurent laffont wrote

thereluctantprogrammer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Hi,
> i have a proposition for a Pharo-Screencast:
>
> I would love to look over someone’s shoulder while she/he is *reading*
> code.
> A possible plot would be to download something from squeaksource and then
> trying to make sense out of it - and talking while doing so. (It would also
> be good to see all the relevant functions of the browser in action).
>
> Background: While i have read some books now (blue book, pharo by example,
> seaside by example, best practice patterns) i have never actually seen
> people programming. So i absolutely miss the craftsmanship side of things.
>
> Anyway thank you for Pharocasts.
> Best regards,
> Helene.

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

laurent laffont
I understand the difficulties. Indeed I've created Pharocasts to learn ;)  You learn better when you do something, for me a way is to record screencasts.

I've created this application a year ago to get some overview http://magaloma.seasidehosting.st/  I still use it sometimes.

Feel free to ask on the mailing-list, there are helpful people (cool !).  And one great way to contribute is to write comments on what you have understood and submit your package to PharoInbox

Laurent.

laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> indeed I don't really see how to do this sort of screencast .....
>
> Which packages would you like to see explained ?
>
> Laurent
>
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Helene Bilbo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> i have a proposition for a Pharo-Screencast:
>>
>> I would love to look over someone’s shoulder while she/he is *reading*
>> code.
>> A possible plot would be to download something from squeaksource and then
>> trying to make sense out of it - and talking while doing so. (It would
>> also
>> be good to see all the relevant functions of the browser in action).
>>
>> Background: While i have read some books now (blue book, pharo by
>> example,
>> seaside by example, best practice patterns) i have never actually seen
>> people programming. So i absolutely miss the craftsmanship side of
>> things.
>>
>> Anyway thank you for Pharocasts.
>> Best regards,
>> Helene.

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

simondenier
Can't you meet someone in a barcamp in your city, who would show you the basics?

Also did you practice http://pharobyexample.org to learn the tools?

On 28 janv. 2011, at 22:08, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> Hi,
> i don’t want to see a specific package explained - i would rather like to
> watch, how someone will make sense of a package she/he doesn’t know (and
> that does not have much comments..) and tries to read and understand it.
>
> I just sit here and try to understand SpectrumAnalyzerMorph - but perhaps
> this is a bad example, because it is included in Pharo 1.1.1 but doesn’t
> work there. This would be more a debugging show..
>
> What kind of „strategy“ or „pattern“ do you use to understand a
> class/package?

Since I am a Moose expert, I don't really know how people do it without visualizations :)

> Where do i start reading in the first place?

Read the comments if there are some, especially with snippets of code for do-it.
Read the tests, try to find how one instantiate a particular object, then put a self halt in a test or create a new object in a workspace and open an inspector on it; interact with the object to send it messages and see how it reacts (with the class browser by the side of course).

Learn the strengths and weaknesses of the various browsers, and especially the shortcuts to quickly launch them (select some text in the source then):
alt+b -> browse class
alt+m -> browse implementors (method definitions)
alt+n -> senders (messages calls)
alt+shit+r -> references to class
etc.

> Do i search messages / try to „follow“ them using method finder?

So basically yes. Understanding a Smalltalk program is somehow a heuristic process (like all program understanding): browse code, browse implementors or senders until you can not get further or lost track, make hypothesis about how it works and check by browsing again and querying live instances.

> I tried to file out classes and print them on paper - which was a bad idea..
> Do you take notes? Make drawings? Just read along in the SystemBrowser?
>
> Can you imagine a bit, what i mean? It is really very basic..
> Best regards, Helene.

In Smalltalk the language and its syntax are simple, so you get more work to learn the whole API and the tools, especially since they are a bit unconventional. So I can understand that you feel lost. But the best way would be to learn by doing, with somebody while pair-programming.

> laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> indeed I don't really see how to do this sort of screencast .....
>>
>> Which packages would you like to see explained ?
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Helene Bilbo <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> i have a proposition for a Pharo-Screencast:
>>>
>>> I would love to look over someone’s shoulder while she/he is *reading*
>>> code.
>>> A possible plot would be to download something from squeaksource and then
>>> trying to make sense out of it - and talking while doing so. (It would
>>> also
>>> be good to see all the relevant functions of the browser in action).
>>>
>>> Background: While i have read some books now (blue book, pharo by
>>> example,
>>> seaside by example, best practice patterns) i have never actually seen
>>> people programming. So i absolutely miss the craftsmanship side of
>>> things.
>>>
>>> Anyway thank you for Pharocasts.
>>> Best regards,
>>> Helene.
>>> --

Simon Denier

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

laurent laffont

> What kind of „strategy“ or „pattern“ do you use to understand a
> class/package?

Since I am a Moose expert, I don't really know how people do it without visualizations :)

Would be cool to have a Moose for newbies screencast .....

Laurent

> Where do i start reading in the first place?

Read the comments if there are some, especially with snippets of code for do-it.
Read the tests, try to find how one instantiate a particular object, then put a self halt in a test or create a new object in a workspace and open an inspector on it; interact with the object to send it messages and see how it reacts (with the class browser by the side of course).

Learn the strengths and weaknesses of the various browsers, and especially the shortcuts to quickly launch them (select some text in the source then):
alt+b -> browse class
alt+m -> browse implementors (method definitions)
alt+n -> senders (messages calls)
alt+shit+r -> references to class
etc.

> Do i search messages / try to „follow“ them using method finder?

So basically yes. Understanding a Smalltalk program is somehow a heuristic process (like all program understanding): browse code, browse implementors or senders until you can not get further or lost track, make hypothesis about how it works and check by browsing again and querying live instances.

> I tried to file out classes and print them on paper - which was a bad idea..
> Do you take notes? Make drawings? Just read along in the SystemBrowser?
>
> Can you imagine a bit, what i mean? It is really very basic..
> Best regards, Helene.

In Smalltalk the language and its syntax are simple, so you get more work to learn the whole API and the tools, especially since they are a bit unconventional. So I can understand that you feel lost. But the best way would be to learn by doing, with somebody while pair-programming.

> laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> indeed I don't really see how to do this sort of screencast .....
>>
>> Which packages would you like to see explained ?
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Helene Bilbo <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> i have a proposition for a Pharo-Screencast:
>>>
>>> I would love to look over someone’s shoulder while she/he is *reading*
>>> code.
>>> A possible plot would be to download something from squeaksource and then
>>> trying to make sense out of it - and talking while doing so. (It would
>>> also
>>> be good to see all the relevant functions of the browser in action).
>>>
>>> Background: While i have read some books now (blue book, pharo by
>>> example,
>>> seaside by example, best practice patterns) i have never actually seen
>>> people programming. So i absolutely miss the craftsmanship side of
>>> things.
>>>
>>> Anyway thank you for Pharocasts.
>>> Best regards,
>>> Helene.
>>> --

Simon Denier

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Helene Bilbo
"laurent laffont“ wrote
I've created this application a year ago to get some overview
http://magaloma.seasidehosting.st/  I still use it sometimes.
Ah, ok. While this is not what i meant by reading the coding — that is a very nice application. I will spend some time there :)

Helene.

On 28 janv. 2011, at 22:52, laurent laffont wrote:

> What kind of „strategy“ or „pattern“ do you use to understand a
> class/package?

Since I am a Moose expert, I don't really know how people do it without visualizations :)

Would be cool to have a Moose for newbies screencast .....

We used to demo Moose a lot in live, with most basic features (importing a model, browsing and querying the model with the finder, building your own visualization with Mondrian...). My recent experience told me that screencasting is not my cup of tea :)
I don't know if Doru will have the time.

Laurent

> Where do i start reading in the first place?

Read the comments if there are some, especially with snippets of code for do-it.
Read the tests, try to find how one instantiate a particular object, then put a self halt in a test or create a new object in a workspace and open an inspector on it; interact with the object to send it messages and see how it reacts (with the class browser by the side of course).

Learn the strengths and weaknesses of the various browsers, and especially the shortcuts to quickly launch them (select some text in the source then):
alt+b -> browse class
alt+m -> browse implementors (method definitions)
alt+n -> senders (messages calls)
alt+shit+r -> references to class
etc.

> Do i search messages / try to „follow“ them using method finder?

So basically yes. Understanding a Smalltalk program is somehow a heuristic process (like all program understanding): browse code, browse implementors or senders until you can not get further or lost track, make hypothesis about how it works and check by browsing again and querying live instances.

> I tried to file out classes and print them on paper - which was a bad idea..
> Do you take notes? Make drawings? Just read along in the SystemBrowser?
>
> Can you imagine a bit, what i mean? It is really very basic..
> Best regards, Helene.

In Smalltalk the language and its syntax are simple, so you get more work to learn the whole API and the tools, especially since they are a bit unconventional. So I can understand that you feel lost. But the best way would be to learn by doing, with somebody while pair-programming.

> laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> indeed I don't really see how to do this sort of screencast .....
>>
>> Which packages would you like to see explained ?
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Helene Bilbo <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> i have a proposition for a Pharo-Screencast:
>>>
>>> I would love to look over someone’s shoulder while she/he is *reading*
>>> code.
>>> A possible plot would be to download something from squeaksource and then
>>> trying to make sense out of it - and talking while doing so. (It would
>>> also
>>> be good to see all the relevant functions of the browser in action).
>>>
>>> Background: While i have read some books now (blue book, pharo by
>>> example,
>>> seaside by example, best practice patterns) i have never actually seen
>>> people programming. So i absolutely miss the craftsmanship side of
>>> things.
>>>
>>> Anyway thank you for Pharocasts.
>>> Best regards,
>>> Helene.
>>> --

Simon Denier

--
Simon Denier

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 janv. 2011, at 22:52, laurent laffont wrote:

> What kind of „strategy“ or „pattern“ do you use to understand a
> class/package?

Since I am a Moose expert, I don't really know how people do it without visualizations :)

Would be cool to have a Moose for newbies screencast .....

We used to demo Moose a lot in live, with most basic features (importing a model, browsing and querying the model with the finder, building your own visualization with Mondrian...). My recent experience told me that screencasting is not my cup of tea :)

Don't hesitate to record a "draft" screencast and send it to me. Video editing tools can do magic.

Laurent.

Simon Denier

--
Simon Denier

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Tudor Girba
I am working on a couple of screencasts :). My plan is to get them working within a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

flebber
These screenscasts are for squeak, but they are good. Practical examples of how to get things up and running http://www.youtube.com/user/gandysmedicineshow

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Hi helene

Where are you located?
Because we could do some pair programming.
I did that with olivier yesterday and I understand your point.
What I could do is to record when I'm programming my card collection application and like that the
world would see me failing and retrying :)

Stef

On Jan 28, 2011, at 5:04 PM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> Hi,
> i have a proposition for a Pharo-Screencast:
>
> I would love to look over someone’s shoulder while she/he is *reading* code.
> A possible plot would be to download something from squeaksource and then
> trying to make sense out of it - and talking while doing so. (It would also
> be good to see all the relevant functions of the browser in action).
>
> Background: While i have read some books now (blue book, pharo by example,
> seaside by example, best practice patterns) i have never actually seen
> people programming. So i absolutely miss the craftsmanship side of things.
>
> Anyway thank you for Pharocasts.
> Best regards,
> Helene.

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Helene Bilbo
„simondenier“ wrote
[...]

Thank you for the hints and encouragement.

My problems are probably not Smalltalk/Pharo specific - i might reveal that i have no formal training in programming or computer science. I did little things in Objective-C/XCode and Java/Eclipse and i really love the Smalltalk/Pharo,Cuis,Squeak experience compared to that.

As i was not trained in other things, Pharo does not at all feel „unconventional“ to me.

Helene.

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Helene Bilbo
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
Hi helene

Where are you located?
Because we could do some pair programming.
Berlin, Germany

Stéphane Ducasse wrote
I did that with olivier yesterday and I understand your point.
What I could do is to record when I'm programming my card collection application and like that the
world would see me failing and retrying :)
Stef
Yes of course, i would like to watch a live-programming screencast.
But to me, the difficulty is READING existing code much more than writing new code. I do the „write in the debugger“ thing, that was mentioned on pharocast and in some tutorials and it works really nice.

Helene.

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Helene Bilbo
"Stéphane Ducasse“ wrote
Now I'm also thinking that we should have a converging approach by also fixing Morphic so I will start reading both code.

Stef
Hi Stéphane,
i quoted this from the Pharo Smalltalk list -> this is the thing you should comment while doing it and record as a screencast. It would be wonderful :) Best regards, Helene.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi helene

Where are you located?
Because we could do some pair programming.
I did that with olivier yesterday and I understand your point.
What I could do is to record when I'm programming my card collection application and like that the
world would see me failing and retrying :)

Laurent

Stef

On Jan 28, 2011, at 5:04 PM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> Hi,
> i have a proposition for a Pharo-Screencast:
>
> I would love to look over someone’s shoulder while she/he is *reading* code.
> A possible plot would be to download something from squeaksource and then
> trying to make sense out of it - and talking while doing so. (It would also
> be good to see all the relevant functions of the browser in action).
>
> Background: While i have read some books now (blue book, pharo by example,
> seaside by example, best practice patterns) i have never actually seen
> people programming. So i absolutely miss the craftsmanship side of things.
>
> Anyway thank you for Pharocasts.
> Best regards,
> Helene.

Re: Screencast proposition: Watch someone read code.

Igor Stasenko
On 29 January 2011 14:23, Helene Bilbo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Hi helene
>>
>> Where are you located?
>> Because we could do some pair programming.
>>
> Berlin, Germany
>

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> I did that with olivier yesterday and I understand your point.
>> What I could do is to record when I'm programming my card collection
>> application and like that the
>> world would see me failing and retrying :)
>> Stef
>>

> Yes of course, i would like to watch a live-programming screencast.
> But to me, the difficulty is READING existing code much more than writing
> new code. I do the „write in the debugger“ thing, that was mentioned on
> pharocast and in some tutorials and it works really nice.

Yeah. Understanding code is difficult. Even your own code could make
no sense to you after half of the year :)
What i can say.. there is no universal cure.. different people learn
things differently.
Definitely, you should master the browser and usual shortcuts, so it
will help you finding things quicker
and follow the code logic in order to understand it.

> Helene.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.