[Scribo] merging Wiki and Site

Nicolas Petton
Hi all,

Some days ago, Janko and I talked about merging Wiki and Site (and
removing site). First I was against this idea, but I thought about it,
and now I think that with a more configurable Wiki, it could be a good
idea.

What do you think? Do you want to keep both?

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.aidaweb.si

Re: [Scribo] merging Wiki and Site

Jimmie Houchin-3
nico wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some days ago, Janko and I talked about merging Wiki and Site (and
> removing site). First I was against this idea, but I thought about it,
> and now I think that with a more configurable Wiki, it could be a good
> idea.
>
> What do you think? Do you want to keep both?

Hello,

I know there is somewhat a philosophical difference between the two.
But, the question to me really would be. What does Site offer that Wiki
does not or could not without the true design goals of Wiki? If nothing
or next to nothing. Then I would say do it. With good documentation of
how to create a Site or a Wiki then users and developers will be fine.

To me the biggest difference is simply end user editability. On a Site
the end user has none and on a Wiki they may or may not depending on
user permissions. To the developer or creator of the site, the usability
of Wiki style Site creation is a win. IMO.

In fact that may be one way to document the Site creation is addressing
it as using Wiki Style site creation and editing tools. The main
difference could simply be a preference on any given page as to whether
or not the page is end user editable and whether or not we maintain a
history of those edits.

Thats my thoughts without any significant investigation as of yet. :)

Jimmie

Re: [Scribo] merging Wiki and Site

garduino
I agree with Jimmie and wants to add some few comments.

Sometime I asked what to use to a common, ex-statical site, and Nico
you responded, no doubt, if is a site, use site if is a wiki, use
wiki.

I think that exist a gray line between a wiki (not editable to all
more than the administrator) and the common sites and if we can manage
all the possibilities with only one component could be great.

IMHO one thing that should be very very flexible (to use it as a site)
are the configuration possibilities. Changing styles, menus,
positions, fonts, colors, graphics, adding (or not) tabs, etc, is a
must to fit in the most of sites needs. A wiki don't need lot of these
things, but yes a site.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.

Le mardi 21 octobre 2008 à 08:19 -0200, Germán Arduino a écrit :

> I agree with Jimmie and wants to add some few comments.
>
> Sometime I asked what to use to a common, ex-statical site, and Nico
> you responded, no doubt, if is a site, use site if is a wiki, use
> wiki.
>
> I think that exist a gray line between a wiki (not editable to all
> more than the administrator) and the common sites and if we can manage
> all the possibilities with only one component could be great.
>
> IMHO one thing that should be very very flexible (to use it as a site)
> are the configuration possibilities. Changing styles, menus,
> positions, fonts, colors, graphics, adding (or not) tabs, etc, is a
> must to fit in the most of sites needs.
That's what I meant by "more configurable".

Now Site and Wiki are merged in the latest version. The new forum will
be committed soon too.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.aidaweb.si

Re: [Scribo] merging Wiki and Site

garduino
HI Nico:

Do you means that already is done!? And also configuration?

Will check asap.

Another thing that comes to my mind, but.........nothing to do with
this mail, will write another....

:)

Germán.