ScriptManager config in 1.4

Torsten Bergmann
>Why is the repo for the metacello config browser for 2.0 empty ?
>Are these repos world writeable ?

Usually the config browser repos should be filled with configs that work
in a stable release.

So www.squeaksource.com/MetaRepoForPharo14 includes anything that
has proved to work on Pharo 1.4 and by copying the config from
project repos or www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository to
www.squeaksource.com/MetaRepoForPharo14 it will appear in the
list of Configuration Browser.

I wrote it as a simple replacement for SqueakMap and for people
like me who dont remember loading scripts and want to use the
mouse for loading ;)

And yes the repo for 1.4 is writeable. If you have a config that
is known to work for 1.4. you can copy it there and it will
be available. Make sure it contains a symbolic stable version
for instance in ConfigurationOfScriptManager you will find:

    stable: spec
        <symbolicVersion: #stable>

        spec for: #'pharo1.1.x' version: '1.2'.
        spec for: #'pharo1.2.x' version: '1.2'.
        spec for: #'pharo1.3.x' version: '1.3'.
        spec for: #'pharo1.4.x' version: '1.4'.

Pharo 2.0 is neither stable nor released thats why the repo is still
empty. Also the 2.0 repo is on SmalltalkHub (http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/Packages20/main) and I dont
know whats planned here. Dont know about the state/progress of
SmalltalkHub and wonder why we dont use a
http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MetaRepoForPharo20.

Stef: any comments here?

Bye
T.

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

Stéphane Ducasse

> Pharo 2.0 is neither stable nor released thats why the repo is still
> empty. Also the 2.0 repo is on SmalltalkHub (http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/Packages20/main) and I dont
> know whats planned here. Dont know about the state/progress of
> SmalltalkHub

Nicolas is adding support for search and user management.
I do not know when it will be ready. Nicolas what is the agenda?
I want to migrate to SmalltalkHub my projects.

> and wonder why we dont use a
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MetaRepoForPharo20.

We can use it too for now.
What is missing is the process behind

> Stef: any comments here?
>
> Bye
> T.
> --
> NEU: FreePhone 3-fach-Flat mit kostenlosem Smartphone!
> Jetzt informieren: http://mobile.1und1.de/?ac=OM.PW.PW003K20328T7073a

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 20 Jun 2012, at 10:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> and wonder why we dont use a
>> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MetaRepoForPharo20.
>
> We can use it too for now.
> What is missing is the process behind

Let's use that then: it is important that during 2.0 development, you can easily load (validated) metacello configs; many of us are using 2.0 daily, as in eating our own dogfood, if metacello configs + browser are the way forward, we should start using that now.

Sven

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

EstebanLM
Problem is who validates the packages? (we are working in some automatization here, but it will take time)
For example: ConfigurationOfSeaside30 in MetaRepoForPharo14 does not loads well (since it loads a stripped version of OB, if you have Nautilus it fails and if not it breaks Shout).
It is easy to fix, but nobody seems to want...

Esteban

On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2012, at 10:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>>> and wonder why we dont use a
>>> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MetaRepoForPharo20.
>>
>> We can use it too for now.
>> What is missing is the process behind
>
> Let's use that then: it is important that during 2.0 development, you can easily load (validated) metacello configs; many of us are using 2.0 daily, as in eating our own dogfood, if metacello configs + browser are the way forward, we should start using that now.
>
> Sven

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

+ 1

>>> and wonder why we dont use a
>>> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MetaRepoForPharo20.
>>
>> We can use it too for now.
>> What is missing is the process behind
>
> Let's use that then: it is important that during 2.0 development, you can easily load (validated) metacello configs; many of us are using 2.0 daily, as in eating our own dogfood, if metacello configs + browser are the way forward, we should start using that now.
>
> Sven

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

esteban
we should let people publish early and fix by hand and in parallel we work on it.
I will try to get a stab at a sketch today

stef
On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Problem is who validates the packages? (we are working in some automatization here, but it will take time)
> For example: ConfigurationOfSeaside30 in MetaRepoForPharo14 does not loads well (since it loads a stripped version of OB, if you have Nautilus it fails and if not it breaks Shout).
> It is easy to fix, but nobody seems to want...
>
> Esteban

>>> We can use it too for now.
>>> What is missing is the process behind
>>
>> Let's use that then: it is important that during 2.0 development, you can easily load (validated) metacello configs; many of us are using 2.0 daily, as in eating our own dogfood, if metacello configs + browser are the way forward, we should start using that now.
>>
>> Sven

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

EstebanLM
but we need an inbox for configurations and a method to move thrusted configs to metarepo, otherwise, we will have same mess we have in MetacelloRepository really soon.

On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> esteban
> we should let people publish early and fix by hand and in parallel we work on it.
> I will try to get a stab at a sketch today
>
> stef
> On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> Problem is who validates the packages? (we are working in some automatization here, but it will take time)
>> For example: ConfigurationOfSeaside30 in MetaRepoForPharo14 does not loads well (since it loads a stripped version of OB, if you have Nautilus it fails and if not it breaks Shout).
>> It is easy to fix, but nobody seems to want...
>>
>> Esteban

>>> Let's use that then: it is important that during 2.0 development, you can easily load (validated) metacello configs; many of us are using 2.0 daily, as in eating our own dogfood, if metacello configs + browser are the way forward, we should start using that now.
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

EstebanLM
-1

IMO, what we need is to add a tab "Untrusted" to configurations browser (pointing to MetacelloRepository) and let people choose from there.

Esteban

On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> + 1

>>> We can use it too for now.
>>> What is missing is the process behind
>>
>> Let's use that then: it is important that during 2.0 development, you can easily load (validated) metacello configs; many of us are using 2.0 daily, as in eating our own dogfood, if metacello configs + browser are the way forward, we should start using that now.
>>
>> Sven

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

Torsten Bergmann
Sven wrote
> Let's use that then: it is important that during 2.0 development, you can
> easily load (validated) metacello configs; many of us are using 2.0 daily,
> as in eating our own dogfood, if metacello configs + browser are the way
> forward, we should start using that now.
>
> Sven

Ok, then use SS3 meanwhile and maybe switch to smalltalkhub later.

So:

 1. I created http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MetaRepoForPharo20
 2. made Scriptmanager working in Pharo 2.0 by switching
    from ReferenceStream to FLSerializer and FLMaterializer
    and using SmalltalkEditor instead of ParagraphEditor
    in "ScriptManager-Core-tbn.17.mcz"

    Code is cleaner and transition was very easy. Fuel rocks!
    Since ReferenceStream is not anymore in Pharo 2.0
    and old script manager exports can not be used I changed
    the file extension from *.obj to *.fuel

 3. changed the ConfiguratonOfScriptManager to have a new
    version 1.5. using the new mcz-version

 4. added a line stable spec in the config
     spec for: #'pharo2.0.x' version: '1.5'

 5. made a copy of the new ConfiguratonOfScriptManager available
    in "MetaRepoForPharo20" also

 6. opened issue http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6093
    to point Pharo 2.0 to the new config repo

In the issue and attached you will find a small changeset that
switches the config browser from smalltalk hub to the new SS3 repo

So ScriptManager (using Fuel) is now the first package loadable from the
config browser in Pharo 2.0.
(maybe we should switch topic to "ScriptManager config in 2.0" now ;)

Feel free to upload other configs known to work for 2.0 to

MetacelloConfigurationBrowser-pharoDistribution.st (512 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

Torsten Bergmann
> IMO, what we need is to add a tab "Untrusted" to configurations browser (pointing to MetacelloRepository) and let people choose from there.
> done: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6094

OK - but now it does not open in 2.0 since SqS is down
and "MetacelloRepository" is not available :(

What about closing "MetacelloRepository" on squeaksource
and moving it to SS3 as well? Any takers?

Thanks
T.

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

Nicolas Petton

> Pharo 2.0 is neither stable nor released thats why the repo is still
> empty. Also the 2.0 repo is on SmalltalkHub (http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/Packages20/main) and I dont
> know whats planned here.

Hi!

My very short term goal is to add UI support for project contributors
and project search to SmalltalkHub. The next step is to finish the
scripting API and make SmalltalkHub search engine friendly.

BTW: I'm very open to any form of comment/idea/contribution to SmalltalkHub.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

SmalltalkHub

Torsten Bergmann
Nico wrote:
>BTW: I'm very open to any form of comment/idea/contribution to SmalltalkHub.

Hi Nico,

SmalltalkHub is nicely done and I like the idea of combining
Amber on the client side with Smalltalk on the server side.

I think one of the main problem before contributing to a project
is accessibility and visibility of the project:

I know that your project is not only running on smalltalkhub.com
but also the code for the implementation lives there. Its good that you
eat your own dog food - but maybe a hurdle to contribute.

So I dont know:
 - if others know that the code is there (a list of projects
   hosted on SmalltalkHub is as you know still missing)
 - on which Pharo version it is running
 - how to easily load it into a recent Pharo image
 - what other things one needs to run it locally (Mongo?)
   and fix or modify it

Also the page found by Google:
 http://www.objectfusion.fr/en/smalltalkhub.html
tells me nothing where to get the code, how to start. It only
says "work in progress".

After more googling I can find a link www.smalltalkhub.com/user/NicolasPetton/SmalltalkHub
which is NOT working!

After more and more googling I found out from a twitter
link that the code is there:

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~NicolasPetton/SmalltalkHub

I know it is a chicken and egg problem since all these
infos will be on SmalltalkHub when implemented. But these
days it is very hard to find and get startet.

My proposal:
============
Since Metacello is standard these days I would really welcome a
"ConfigurationOfSmalltalkHub" in MetacelloRepository which
would:

 - allow the code to load
 - allow to see which Pharo version is used
 - allow to run it locally to do modifications
 - allow to follow stable releases and development progress
   just by looking into the configuration

and in then end allow to contribute to the project.

Gruß
T.

Re: SmalltalkHub

Nicolas Petton
"Torsten Bergmann" <[hidden email]> writes:

> My proposal:
> ============
> Since Metacello is standard these days I would really welcome a
> "ConfigurationOfSmalltalkHub" in MetacelloRepository which
> would:
>
>  - allow the code to load
>  - allow to see which Pharo version is used
>  - allow to run it locally to do modifications
>  - allow to follow stable releases and development progress
>    just by looking into the configuration
>
> and in then end allow to contribute to the project.

Indeed, a Metacello configuration is really needed. I'll do it ASAP and
get back to you once done.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

Ben Coman
Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> Problem is who validates the packages? (we are working in some automatization here, but it will take time)
> For example: ConfigurationOfSeaside30 in MetaRepoForPharo14 does not loads well (since it loads a stripped version of OB, if you have Nautilus it fails and if not it breaks Shout).
> It is easy to fix, but nobody seems to want...
>
> Esteban

One way to deal with this is like Wordpress Addons...
For example, see the compatibility sidebar bottom right at
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/

>>> We can use it too for now.
>>> What is missing is the process behind
>>>
>> Let's use that then: it is important that during 2.0 development, you can easily load (validated) metacello configs; many of us are using 2.0 daily, as in eating our own dogfood, if metacello configs + browser are the way forward, we should start using that now.
>>
>> Sven

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Thanks a lot, Torsten !

With your instructions I am finally starting packaging some of my projects with Metacello.

Knowing that they will end up in the config browser is an excellent motivation I think.

Sven

On 20 Jun 2012, at 09:28, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> Why is the repo for the metacello config browser for 2.0 empty ?
>> Are these repos world writeable ?
>
> Usually the config browser repos should be filled with configs that work
> in a stable release.
>
> So www.squeaksource.com/MetaRepoForPharo14 includes anything that
> has proved to work on Pharo 1.4 and by copying the config from
> project repos or www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository to
> www.squeaksource.com/MetaRepoForPharo14 it will appear in the
> list of Configuration Browser.
>
> I wrote it as a simple replacement for SqueakMap and for people
> like me who dont remember loading scripts and want to use the
> mouse for loading ;)
>
> And yes the repo for 1.4 is writeable. If you have a config that
> is known to work for 1.4. you can copy it there and it will
> be available. Make sure it contains a symbolic stable version
> for instance in ConfigurationOfScriptManager you will find:
>

>    stable: spec
> <symbolicVersion: #stable>
>
> spec for: #'pharo1.1.x' version: '1.2'.
> spec for: #'pharo1.2.x' version: '1.2'.
> spec for: #'pharo1.3.x' version: '1.3'.
> spec for: #'pharo1.4.x' version: '1.4'.
>

> Pharo 2.0 is neither stable nor released thats why the repo is still
> empty. Also the 2.0 repo is on SmalltalkHub (http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/Packages20/main) and I dont
> know whats planned here. Dont know about the state/progress of
> SmalltalkHub and wonder why we dont use a
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MetaRepoForPharo20.
>
> Stef: any comments here?
>
> Bye
> T.
> --
> NEU: FreePhone 3-fach-Flat mit kostenlosem Smartphone!
> Jetzt informieren: http://mobile.1und1.de/?ac=OM.PW.PW003K20328T7073a

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

Stéphane Ducasse
Sven we are starting to work on extending versioner and building a tools to generate configuration but it is not ready yet :)
Probably ready for ESUG.

> Thanks a lot, Torsten !
>
> With your instructions I am finally starting packaging some of my projects with Metacello.
>
> Knowing that they will end up in the config browser is an excellent motivation I think.
>
> Sven
>
> On 20 Jun 2012, at 09:28, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>
>>> Why is the repo for the metacello config browser for 2.0 empty ?
>>> Are these repos world writeable ?
>>
>> Usually the config browser repos should be filled with configs that work
>> in a stable release.
>>
>> So www.squeaksource.com/MetaRepoForPharo14 includes anything that
>> has proved to work on Pharo 1.4 and by copying the config from
>> project repos or www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository to
>> www.squeaksource.com/MetaRepoForPharo14 it will appear in the
>> list of Configuration Browser.
>>
>> I wrote it as a simple replacement for SqueakMap and for people
>> like me who dont remember loading scripts and want to use the
>> mouse for loading ;)
>>
>> And yes the repo for 1.4 is writeable. If you have a config that
>> is known to work for 1.4. you can copy it there and it will
>> be available. Make sure it contains a symbolic stable version
>> for instance in ConfigurationOfScriptManager you will find:
>>

>>   stable: spec
>> <symbolicVersion: #stable>
>>
>> spec for: #'pharo1.1.x' version: '1.2'.
>> spec for: #'pharo1.2.x' version: '1.2'.
>> spec for: #'pharo1.3.x' version: '1.3'.
>> spec for: #'pharo1.4.x' version: '1.4'.
>>

>> Pharo 2.0 is neither stable nor released thats why the repo is still
>> empty. Also the 2.0 repo is on SmalltalkHub (http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/Packages20/main) and I dont
>> know whats planned here. Dont know about the state/progress of
>> SmalltalkHub and wonder why we dont use a
>> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MetaRepoForPharo20.
>>
>> Stef: any comments here?
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>> --
>> NEU: FreePhone 3-fach-Flat mit kostenlosem Smartphone!
>> Jetzt informieren: http://mobile.1und1.de/?ac=OM.PW.PW003K20328T7073a

Re: ScriptManager config in 1.4

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote
With your instructions I am finally starting packaging some of my projects with Metacello.
Thank you, Sven. Any project that creates and maintains a Metacello configuration is doing a great service to our community. We're slowly moving from fragile scripts passed around on mailing lists to something that may soon resemble e.g. RubyGems...

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

On Jun 23, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote
>>
>> With your instructions I am finally starting packaging some of my projects
>> with Metacello.
>>

> Thank you, Sven. Any project that creates and maintains a Metacello
> configuration is doing a great service to our community. We're slowly moving
> from fragile scripts passed around on mailing lists to something that may
> soon resemble e.g. RubyGems…

YES!!!