Scriptaculous on IE

Philippe Marschall
Hi

Has anybody of you tested http://scriptaculous.seasidehosting.st/ on IE?
For me insertTop and insertBottom don't work.
Also the checkbox and the encoding don't.

Do other people have these problems too, or is this just on this machine?

Does anybody actually use IE?

Cheers
Philippe

RE: Scriptaculous on IE

Sebastián Sastre
"For me insertTop and insertBottom don't work.
Also the checkbox and the encoding don't.

Do other people have these problems too, or is this just on this machine?

Does anybody actually use IE?"

I do and I see the same results,

Regards,

Sebastian

Re: Scriptaculous on IE

Rick Flower
Sebastián Sastre wrote:
> "For me insertTop and insertBottom don't work.
> Also the checkbox and the encoding don't.
>
> Do other people have these problems too, or is this just on this machine?
>
> Does anybody actually use IE?"
>
> I do and I see the same results,

In a site I worked on about two years ago, I used a lot of javascript
and DHTML and found that they were problematic on differing
browsers.  I'd assume that Scriptalicious is implemented using one or
both of these and would suffer the same sort of consequences without
a bunch of conditional code to handle certain browsers (which it may or
may not have done -- I've never looked).  For me, I'll be
sticking with a more vanilla approach for now..

-- Rick

Re: Scriptaculous on IE

Lukas Renggli
> Do other people have these problems too, or is this just on this machine?

What version of IE are you using? The script.aculo.us library is only
targeted at IE 6 and later, so if you are on a earlier version it will
not work:

http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/SupportedBrowsers

Did you run the regression tests of script.aculo.us from the
distribution? If they do not work, you should submit a bug to:

http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/BugReports

> Does anybody actually use IE?

Yes, I tested scriptaculous.seasidehosting.st on IE 6 and the Seaside
tests mostly worked for me. However, I guess the version on
scriptaculous.seasidehosting.st still has broken code for check-boxes
(and some other form controls), this is fixed in the very latest
version. Some effects do not work on IE, as this browser does not
properly support transparency, so again, please check script.aculo.us.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Scriptaculous on IE

Lukas Renggli
> In a site I worked on about two years ago, I used a lot of javascript
> and DHTML and found that they were problematic on differing
> browsers.  I'd assume that Scriptalicious is implemented using one or
> both of these and would suffer the same sort of consequences without
> a bunch of conditional code to handle certain browsers (which it may or
> may not have done -- I've never looked).  For me, I'll be
> sticking with a more vanilla approach for now..

script.aculo.us is based on the prototype library
(prototype.conio.net), it is designed in a nice (looks slightly like
Ruby/Smalltalk) and extensible way. The conditional code is (mostly)
at one single place where the prototypes are built, so you don't have
to care in your code. The prototype for IE gets slightly different
code, than the ones of FireFox or Safari. There are a lot of
regression tests included that can be run on the different target
platforms.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Scriptaculous on IE

Philippe Marschall
> What version of IE are you using? The script.aculo.us library is only
> targeted at IE 6 and later, so if you are on a earlier version it will
> not work:

6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
(IE 6 Win XP SP2)

> Did you run the regression tests of script.aculo.us from the
> distribution? If they do not work, you should submit a bug to:
Well I couldn't find any tests related to insertion (and running them
is a real pain in the ass because for some reson IE thinks they are
dangerous and wants to protect me from them), but
http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/Insertion.Top
http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/Insertion.Bottom
both work

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Scriptaculous on IE

Lukas Renggli
I don't have IE accessible, but ...

> For me insertTop and insertBottom don't work.

... there was invalid nesting of <p> and <div> tags in the generated
source. Probably this caused IE not to update the display properly.

> Also the checkbox

... I used the wrong event handler (onchange instead of onclick),
though it worked on Safari and FireFox.

> and the encoding don't.

Where? What?

AJAX responses are always sent as UTF-8. If your web-site is using
something else you have to do the conversion on your own. The last
time I tested it on IE 6 it worked well for me.

Can please somebody confirm that my improvements fix the problems in
IE? I updated scriptaculous.seasidehosting.st and commited a new
version.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Scriptaculous on IE

Sebastián Sastre
I see it OK with IE6 now. Regards. Sebastian