Scriptaculous

Brian Brown-2
Hello all,

I've finally decided to take the plunge and use Scriptaculous for
some UI, stuff, mostly due to Ramon's blog :)

(I've been using seaside for several years and have built a number of
apps with it, but not for a while)....

Anyway, I have loaded Seaside2.6b1-mb.105 and Scriptaculous-lr.143

but when I try using anything, like the updater, I get an error
message on the browser:

Ajax variable not found.

I must be missing something :)

Brian

Re: Scriptaculous

keith1y
Brian Brown wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've finally decided to take the plunge and use Scriptaculous for some
> UI, stuff, mostly due to Ramon's blog :)
>

> (I've been using seaside for several years and have built a number of
> apps with it, but not for a while)....
>
> Anyway, I have loaded Seaside2.6b1-mb.105 and Scriptaculous-lr.143
>
> but when I try using anything, like the updater, I get an error
> message on the browser:
>
> Ajax variable not found.
>
> I must be missing something :)
>
> Brian

Three things come to mind.

1) Is the useScriptaculous setting set to true
 in the application config

2) You need to add SULibrary to your application's libraries

3) If you look at the history in monticello for lr-143 there is some
mention of it being made to work with Seaside2.7a, which made me
suspicious that that particular version might not work with 2.6b, so I
went for Scriptaculous.pmm-138 instead.

Keith

RE: Scriptaculous

Bany, Michel
> Anyway, I have loaded Seaside2.6b1-mb.105 and Scriptaculous-lr.143

Careful! Scriptaculous-lr.143 and 142 require Seaside from the 2.7a1
branch.

lr.141 should work.

HTH
Michel.

Re: Scriptaculous

Brian Brown-2

On Oct 19, 2006, at 10:09 AM, Keith Hodges wrote:

> 2) You need to add SULibrary to your application's libraries

That did it, thanks Keith!

Re: Scriptaculous

Brian Brown-2
Alright, I'll load the 141 code, but my test is currently working ;)

- Brian

On Oct 19, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Bany, Michel wrote:

>> Anyway, I have loaded Seaside2.6b1-mb.105 and Scriptaculous-lr.143
>
> Careful! Scriptaculous-lr.143 and 142 require Seaside from the 2.7a1
> branch.
>
> lr.141 should work.
>
> HTH
> Michel.

Re: Re: Scriptaculous

Lukas Renggli
> 1) Is the useScriptaculous setting set to true
>  in the application config

This is just Pier that uses this setting.

> 2) You need to add SULibrary to your application's libraries

This is the most common problem indeed ;-)

> 3) If you look at the history in monticello for lr-143 there is some
> mention of it being made to work with Seaside2.7a, which made me
> suspicious that that particular version might not work with 2.6b, so I
> went for Scriptaculous.pmm-138 instead.

Yes the latest version only works with the 2.7 branch. If you are
using an older version of Seaside you need to go backwards trough the
commit comments to see where it says "from now on only Seaside2.7a".

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Scriptaculous

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Michel,

Does this mean that going forward I'd have to look at jumping my
production code over to the 2.7a branch if I want to stay up to date
with Scriptaculous?

Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

> Anyway, I have loaded Seaside2.6b1-mb.105 and Scriptaculous-lr.143

Careful! Scriptaculous-lr.143 and 142 require Seaside from the 2.7a1
branch.

lr.141 should work.

HTH
Michel.

Re: RE: Scriptaculous

Lukas Renggli
> Does this mean that going forward I'd have to look at jumping my
> production code over to the 2.7a branch if I want to stay up to date
> with Scriptaculous?

There is not much different in the latest version of Scriptaculous.
The library itself is pretty stable right now and there are no new
features coming from the JavaScript side. So it is not really
necessary to update right now, maybe it is the best to wait a little
bit, after all Seaside 2.7a is a moving target ...

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: RE: Scriptaculous

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
What's the timeline on 2.7a anyway? I know some people are working on
it, but so far I have no idea who and what direction its taking even.
We'd placed some serious long run bets on Seaside, so any feedback would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.
> Does this mean that going forward I'd have to look at jumping my
> production code over to the 2.7a branch if I want to stay up to date
> with Scriptaculous?

There is not much different in the latest version of Scriptaculous.
The library itself is pretty stable right now and there are no new
features coming from the JavaScript side. So it is not really
necessary to update right now, maybe it is the best to wait a little
bit, after all Seaside 2.7a is a moving target ...

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: RE: RE: Scriptaculous

Lukas Renggli
> What's the timeline on 2.7a anyway? I know some people are working on
> it, but so far I have no idea who and what direction its taking even.
> We'd placed some serious long run bets on Seaside, so any feedback would
> be greatly appreciated.

Philippe and I started this version at ESUG. One of the main goals was
to old renderer deprecated and to clean up the old code, if necessary
by explicitly breaking backward compatibility.

There are some ugly parts that we would like fixed and that annoy us every day:

- clean up the source code, e.g. remove old assignments (done)
- default #rendererClass changed, most components converted (mostly done)
- several fixes to rendering canvas (mostly done)
- #updateRoot: to use a canvas like API (done)
- to have a file library in Seaside (done, but not integrated)
- to clean up WARequestHandler and friends (open)
- clean up the code using SLint (started)
- deprecate unused and old unused code (started)

Philippe? I am sure that I forgot a lot of things!

For the timeline: Things just happen as we need them and as we have
time to work on (for me this is very limited at the moment).

We are using this version in several open-source and commercial projects.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: RE: RE: Scriptaculous

Philippe Marschall
2006/10/20, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:

> > What's the timeline on 2.7a anyway? I know some people are working on
> > it, but so far I have no idea who and what direction its taking even.
> > We'd placed some serious long run bets on Seaside, so any feedback would
> > be greatly appreciated.
>
> Philippe and I started this version at ESUG. One of the main goals was
> to old renderer deprecated and to clean up the old code, if necessary
> by explicitly breaking backward compatibility.
>
> There are some ugly parts that we would like fixed and that annoy us every day:
>
> - clean up the source code, e.g. remove old assignments (done)
> - default #rendererClass changed, most components converted (mostly done)
> - several fixes to rendering canvas (mostly done)
> - #updateRoot: to use a canvas like API (done)
> - to have a file library in Seaside (done, but not integrated)
> - to clean up WARequestHandler and friends (open)
> - clean up the code using SLint (started)
> - deprecate unused and old unused code (started)
>
> Philippe? I am sure that I forgot a lot of things!

- make the root api more canvas like (first version done, we are
trying how it works, first results are positive)
- new very cool deprication mechanism
- full ruby support (backported to 2.6b1)
- even more html elements (backported to 2.6b1)
- WAAnchorTag >> #tooltip has been removed (use #title instead)
- WAListener fixes (backported to 2.6b1)
- other fixes and convenience methods

> For the timeline: Things just happen as we need them and as we have
> time to work on (for me this is very limited at the moment).
>
> We are using this version in several open-source and commercial projects.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Scriptaculous

Bany, Michel
> Michel,
>
> Does this mean that going forward I'd have to look at jumping
> my production code over to the 2.7a branch if I want to stay
> up to date with Scriptaculous?

Hi Boris,
I already tried the port of 2.7a to VW, but did not publish it
because I would like to check how it fits with the other components
(SeasideAsync, SeasideTesting, etc.).
I may also explore another possibility: retrofiting what is
needed by Scriptaculous into 2.6b1.
Just a matter of time...
Michel.

Re: Re: RE: RE: Scriptaculous

Jason Rogers-4
On 10/20/06, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2006/10/20, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> > > What's the timeline on 2.7a anyway? I know some people are working on
> > > it, but so far I have no idea who and what direction its taking even.
> > > We'd placed some serious long run bets on Seaside, so any feedback would
> > > be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Philippe and I started this version at ESUG. One of the main goals was
> > to old renderer deprecated and to clean up the old code, if necessary
> > by explicitly breaking backward compatibility.
> >
> > There are some ugly parts that we would like fixed and that annoy us every day:
> >
> > - clean up the source code, e.g. remove old assignments (done)
> > - default #rendererClass changed, most components converted (mostly done)
> > - several fixes to rendering canvas (mostly done)
> > - #updateRoot: to use a canvas like API (done)
> > - to have a file library in Seaside (done, but not integrated)
> > - to clean up WARequestHandler and friends (open)
> > - clean up the code using SLint (started)
> > - deprecate unused and old unused code (started)
> >
> > Philippe? I am sure that I forgot a lot of things!
>
> - make the root api more canvas like (first version done, we are
> trying how it works, first results are positive)
> - new very cool deprication mechanism
> - full ruby support (backported to 2.6b1)
> - even more html elements (backported to 2.6b1)
> - WAAnchorTag >> #tooltip has been removed (use #title instead)
> - WAListener fixes (backported to 2.6b1)
> - other fixes and convenience methods
>
> > For the timeline: Things just happen as we need them and as we have
> > time to work on (for me this is very limited at the moment).
> >
> > We are using this version in several open-source and commercial projects.

I saw the Ruby methods in 2.7a and you mention "full Ruby support"
above, what's that all about?

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18

Re: Re: RE: RE: Scriptaculous

Philippe Marschall
2006/10/20, Jason Rogers <[hidden email]>:

> > > Philippe and I started this version at ESUG. One of the main goals was
> > > to old renderer deprecated and to clean up the old code, if necessary
> > > by explicitly breaking backward compatibility.
> > >
> > > There are some ugly parts that we would like fixed and that annoy us every day:
> > >
> > > - clean up the source code, e.g. remove old assignments (done)
> > > - default #rendererClass changed, most components converted (mostly done)
> > > - several fixes to rendering canvas (mostly done)
> > > - #updateRoot: to use a canvas like API (done)
> > > - to have a file library in Seaside (done, but not integrated)
> > > - to clean up WARequestHandler and friends (open)
> > > - clean up the code using SLint (started)
> > > - deprecate unused and old unused code (started)
> > >
> > > Philippe? I am sure that I forgot a lot of things!
> >
> > - make the root api more canvas like (first version done, we are
> > trying how it works, first results are positive)
> > - new very cool deprication mechanism
> > - full ruby support (backported to 2.6b1)
> > - even more html elements (backported to 2.6b1)
> > - WAAnchorTag >> #tooltip has been removed (use #title instead)
> > - WAListener fixes (backported to 2.6b1)
> > - other fixes and convenience methods
> >
> > > For the timeline: Things just happen as we need them and as we have
> > > time to work on (for me this is very limited at the moment).
> > >
> > > We are using this version in several open-source and commercial projects.
> > >

> I saw the Ruby methods in 2.7a and you mention "full Ruby support"
> above, what's that all about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_character
http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/

Philippe

Re: RE: RE: Scriptaculous

Philippe Marschall
2006/10/20, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:

> 2006/10/20, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> > > What's the timeline on 2.7a anyway? I know some people are working on
> > > it, but so far I have no idea who and what direction its taking even.
> > > We'd placed some serious long run bets on Seaside, so any feedback would
> > > be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Philippe and I started this version at ESUG. One of the main goals was
> > to old renderer deprecated and to clean up the old code, if necessary
> > by explicitly breaking backward compatibility.
> >
> > There are some ugly parts that we would like fixed and that annoy us every day:
> >
> > - clean up the source code, e.g. remove old assignments (done)
> > - default #rendererClass changed, most components converted (mostly done)
> > - several fixes to rendering canvas (mostly done)
> > - #updateRoot: to use a canvas like API (done)
> > - to have a file library in Seaside (done, but not integrated)
> > - to clean up WARequestHandler and friends (open)
> > - clean up the code using SLint (started)
> > - deprecate unused and old unused code (started)
> >
> > Philippe? I am sure that I forgot a lot of things!
>
> - make the root api more canvas like (first version done, we are
> trying how it works, first results are positive)
> - new very cool deprication mechanism
> - full ruby support (backported to 2.6b1)
> - even more html elements (backported to 2.6b1)
> - WAAnchorTag >> #tooltip has been removed (use #title instead)
> - WAListener fixes (backported to 2.6b1)
> - other fixes and convenience methods

I forgot:
- no longer use WeakArrays in Squeak. They don't work.

> > For the timeline: Things just happen as we need them and as we have
> > time to work on (for me this is very limited at the moment).
> >
> > We are using this version in several open-source and commercial projects.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Lukas
> >
> > --
> > Lukas Renggli