Scriptaculous vs jQuery

1234

Scriptaculous vs jQuery

Malte Grunwald
Hey everybody,

i have several  problems, first which ibraries do i need?
  At the moment i use JQDevelopmentLibrary, JQUiDevelopmentLibrary,
PTDevelopmentLibrary
and the SUDevelopmentLibrary. Do i need other libraries?
2. i would like to use  scriptaculous and jQuery in one component, is
that possible? Because when i use
the libraries as i wrote above only the scriptaculous framework works. I
read something in the jQuery documentation
about:  $.noConflict() i added it as script into my div container, but
it s still not working.

3. How does a jQuery ajax update request work?i tried this:

onClick: ((html jQuery ajax load)
                             id: 'choiceDiv';
                             callback:  [:r | self renderInputsRoof: r]);
                 value: 'roofvalues'.

My ajax requests with scriptaculous are working without any problems.

Has anybody an idea what i do wrong, or give me a hint, what i can do
better?

Thank you.

Kind regards
Malte

Re: Scriptaculous vs jQuery

John McKeon
Hi Malte,

One thing you can try is change the load order of the libraries. No idea if it will work.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Malte Grunwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey everybody,

i have several  problems, first which ibraries do i need?
 At the moment i use JQDevelopmentLibrary, JQUiDevelopmentLibrary, PTDevelopmentLibrary
and the SUDevelopmentLibrary. Do i need other libraries?
2. i would like to use  scriptaculous and jQuery in one component, is that possible? Because when i use
the libraries as i wrote above only the scriptaculous framework works. I read something in the jQuery documentation
about:  $.noConflict() i added it as script into my div container, but it s still not working.

3. How does a jQuery ajax update request work?i tried this:

onClick: ((html jQuery ajax load)
                           id: 'choiceDiv';
                           callback:  [:r | self renderInputsRoof: r]);
               value: 'roofvalues'.

I think you want onClick: ((html jQuery id: 'choiceDiv) load: or html: [ :r | etc etc

HTH
John

My ajax requests with scriptaculous are working without any problems.

Has anybody an idea what i do wrong, or give me a hint, what i can do better?

Thank you.

Kind regards
Malte

Re: Scriptaculous vs jQuery

Lukas Renggli
Mixing the two libraries will not work by default. I suggest that you
try to avoid it before going into that rabbit hole.

Make sure you read the following document and you understand all consequences:

   http://docs.jquery.com/Using_jQuery_with_Other_Libraries

Also check out the class-side of the JQuery class, there is some more
Seaside specific documentation there.

Lukas

On 7 October 2011 14:49, John McKeon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Malte,
>
> One thing you can try is change the load order of the libraries. No idea if
> it will work.
>

> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Malte Grunwald
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey everybody,
>>
>> i have several  problems, first which ibraries do i need?
>>  At the moment i use JQDevelopmentLibrary, JQUiDevelopmentLibrary,
>> PTDevelopmentLibrary
>> and the SUDevelopmentLibrary. Do i need other libraries?
>> 2. i would like to use  scriptaculous and jQuery in one component, is that
>> possible? Because when i use
>> the libraries as i wrote above only the scriptaculous framework works. I
>> read something in the jQuery documentation
>> about:  $.noConflict() i added it as script into my div container, but it
>> s still not working.
>>
>> 3. How does a jQuery ajax update request work?i tried this:
>>
>> onClick: ((html jQuery ajax load)
>>                            id: 'choiceDiv';
>>                            callback:  [:r | self renderInputsRoof: r]);
>>                value: 'roofvalues'.
>

> I think you want onClick: ((html jQuery id: 'choiceDiv) load: or html: [ :r
> | etc etc
>
> HTH
> John
>

>> My ajax requests with scriptaculous are working without any problems.
>>

>> Has anybody an idea what i do wrong, or give me a hint, what i can do
>> better?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Malte

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Scriptaculous vs jQuery

Malte Grunwald
Thank you very much for your help!
This was exactly what i needed to know!

You saved me  a lots of time!

Malte

Am 07.10.2011 15:32, schrieb Lukas Renggli:

> Mixing the two libraries will not work by default. I suggest that you
> try to avoid it before going into that rabbit hole.
>
> Make sure you read the following document and you understand all consequences:
>
>     http://docs.jquery.com/Using_jQuery_with_Other_Libraries
>
> Also check out the class-side of the JQuery class, there is some more
> Seaside specific documentation there.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 7 October 2011 14:49, John McKeon<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi Malte,
>>
>> One thing you can try is change the load order of the libraries. No idea if
>> it will work.
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Malte Grunwald
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hey everybody,
>>>
>>> i have several  problems, first which ibraries do i need?
>>>   At the moment i use JQDevelopmentLibrary, JQUiDevelopmentLibrary,
>>> PTDevelopmentLibrary
>>> and the SUDevelopmentLibrary. Do i need other libraries?
>>> 2. i would like to use  scriptaculous and jQuery in one component, is that
>>> possible? Because when i use
>>> the libraries as i wrote above only the scriptaculous framework works. I
>>> read something in the jQuery documentation
>>> about:  $.noConflict() i added it as script into my div container, but it
>>> s still not working.
>>>
>>> 3. How does a jQuery ajax update request work?i tried this:
>>>
>>> onClick: ((html jQuery ajax load)
>>>                             id: 'choiceDiv';
>>>                             callback:  [:r | self renderInputsRoof: r]);
>>>                 value: 'roofvalues'.
>>
>> I think you want onClick: ((html jQuery id: 'choiceDiv) load: or html: [ :r
>> | etc etc
>>
>> HTH
>> John
>>
>>> My ajax requests with scriptaculous are working without any problems.
>>>

>>> Has anybody an idea what i do wrong, or give me a hint, what i can do
>>> better?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Malte

Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Larry Kellogg
Hello,
  Does anybody have a good shortcut for getting an Seaside/Gemstone EC2 AMI up and running
on Amazon so I can try out a Seaside application? I tried Nick Ager's instructions
but the AMI files are no longer around.

  Thanks,

  Larry

Re: Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Dale Henrichs
Nick does have a blog post that describes how to install GemStone on EC2[1] .... as a fallback position...

Dale

[1] http://www.nickager.com/blog/Installing-Gemstone-on-an-Amazon-EC2-Linux-instance/?_s=H-YnRlaDlD4e0rNb&_k=jpWwQWEQ4SlyNS65&_n&12

|   Does anybody have a good shortcut for getting an Seaside/Gemstone
|   EC2 AMI up and running
| on Amazon so I can try out a Seaside application? I tried Nick Ager's
| instructions
| but the AMI files are no longer around.
|
|   Thanks,
|
|   Larry

Re: Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Larry Kellogg
  Thanks Dale, yeah, I'm trying to work my way through those steps but am unable to login to
my micro instance. I get the message "Error [public key]' when I ssh to the public DNS address.
I thought I followed the directions for generating the key and putting it in user data but I
must have messed up.

  Any ideas?

  Larry

On Oct 11, 2011, at 5:16 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Nick does have a blog post that describes how to install GemStone on EC2[1] .... as a fallback position...
>
> Dale
>
> [1] http://www.nickager.com/blog/Installing-Gemstone-on-an-Amazon-EC2-Linux-instance/?_s=H-YnRlaDlD4e0rNb&_k=jpWwQWEQ4SlyNS65&_n&12

Well I haven't gone through the steps myself, so I'm not sure where the problem is that you're referring to....is this ssh public key monkey business? I've only done this sort of thing with github and the steps seemed straightforward ... I'd be googling for the error message about now:)

Dale

| Thanks Dale, yeah, I'm trying to work my way through those steps but
| am unable to login to
| my micro instance. I get the message "Error [public key]' when I ssh
| to the public DNS address.
| I thought I followed the directions for generating the key and
| putting it in user data but I
| must have messed up.
|
|   Any ideas?
|
|   Larry
|

| On Oct 11, 2011, at 5:16 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > Nick does have a blog post that describes how to install GemStone
| > on EC2[1] .... as a fallback position...
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > [1]
| > http://www.nickager.com/blog/Installing-Gemstone-on-an-Amazon-EC2-Linux-instance/?_s=H-YnRlaDlD4e0rNb&_k=jpWwQWEQ4SlyNS65&_n&12

| > |
| > | Hello,
| > |   Does anybody have a good shortcut for getting an
| > |   Seaside/Gemstone
| > |   EC2 AMI up and running
| > | on Amazon so I can try out a Seaside application? I tried Nick
| > | Ager's
| > | instructions
| > | but the AMI files are no longer around.
| > |
| > |   Thanks,
| > |
| > |   Larry

Re: Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Nick
Hi Larry,

Norbert is working on a set of Chef [1] recipes for automating the creating of cloud images. These Chef recipes will supersedes the AMI I created, which was difficult to maintain and parameterise for different uses.

However in the meantime it seems like you're having a problem just getting started on EC2, prior to any Seaside specific configuration. Thing to check are:

1) Make sure you are ssh ing with a specified user, this varies depending on distribution. For Amazon's Linux distribution the user is ec2-user so you log-in with:
    ssh [hidden email]
 For Ubuntu IIRC you have to login as root

2) Ensure you have have enabled SSH in your firewall configuration - though it doesn't sound as though that's your problem as the connection isn't timing-out, but failing during authenticating. SSH has a verbose options (-v) which can help diagnose where the problem lies:
    ssh -v  [hidden email]

3) I know of three ways of using keys to authenticate with EC2 instances (there may be more). The method I describe in the blog post [2] makes use of "Cloud-init" [3] which is preinstalled for Amazon's Linux distribution - Cloud-init might not be installed with other distributions. Make sure you follow the syntax I describe in the post:

#cloud-config
ssh_authorized_keys:
  - ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1AAAABIwAAAQEAz21r7532bmknElW8cZhECXFqf/Z/+VRFSy........BtxwC2offQ==[hidden email]

Make sure you include the " - " before your key and lines "#cloud-config" & "ssh_authorized_keys:"
I find it helpful to form the syntax in a text editor prior to posting into the web-form.

It's most probable that this key step is failing for you. I've just tested again the instructions and they still work for me. However, as I mentioned above there are other ways to pass keys to Amazon - see [4] [5] - though you might have to install ec2 tools [6].

For whatever reason it seems Amazon doesn't have the keys it needs to authenticate you on the instance you've created. You should terminate that instance and start again. Don't worry about creating and terminating lots of instances while you experiment with the cloud.

Final thought make sure you are ssh ing using the public DNS address NOT the private DNS address that Amazon also displays.

Hope this helps

Nick

On 11 October 2011 20:03, Lawrence Kellogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
 Does anybody have a good shortcut for getting an Seaside/Gemstone EC2 AMI up and running
on Amazon so I can try out a Seaside application? I tried Nick Ager's instructions
but the AMI files are no longer around.

 Thanks,

 Larry

Re: Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Larry Kellogg
Hello Nick,
  Thanks for the detailed insructions. I'll work my way through the list and see where I went wrong.
The CHEF recipes would be a great step forward. I have added a few comments below.

  Yes, I was sshing with ec2-user@ the public DNS..

2) Ensure you have have enabled SSH in your firewall configuration - though it doesn't sound as though that's your problem as the connection isn't timing-out, but failing during authenticating. SSH has a verbose options (-v) which can help diagnose where the problem lies:
    ssh -v  [hidden email]

  The connection doesn't time out, although it says that it cannot verify the host and asks whether to continue with login. When I say, Yes, it fails with that
Public Key error message.

3) I know of three ways of using keys to authenticate with EC2 instances (there may be more). The method I describe in the blog post [2] makes use of "Cloud-init" [3] which is preinstalled for Amazon's Linux distribution - Cloud-init might not be installed with other distributions. Make sure you follow the syntax I describe in the post:

#cloud-config
ssh_authorized_keys:
  - ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1AAAABIwAAAQEAz21r7532bmknElW8cZhECXFqf/Z/+VRFSy........BtxwC2offQ==[hidden email]

Make sure you include the " - " before your key and lines "#cloud-config" & "ssh_authorized_keys:"
I find it helpful to form the syntax in a text editor prior to posting into the web-form.

  So, is there a space between the '-' and the 'ssh-rsa'? Does it matter?

  I saw another parameter that said something about disabling metadata. I guess that parameter is not needed.

  By the way, your instructions say open SSH on Port 22 but the screen shot shows port 25, or
vice versa. I assume that I only need to open up port 22 for SSH.

  It seems like the Security Group stuff has changed. I wasn't able to get the All Internet
specification that you show. The entries I created all wanted a source, 0,0,0,0 or 1234567890/default.
What do I do with that?

It's most probable that this key step is failing for you. I've just tested again the instructions and they still work for me. However, as I mentioned above there are other ways to pass keys to Amazon - see [4] [5] - though you might have to install ec2 tools [6].

For whatever reason it seems Amazon doesn't have the keys it needs to authenticate you on the instance you've created. You should terminate that instance and start again. Don't worry about creating and terminating lots of instances while you experiment with the cloud.

Final thought make sure you are ssh ing using the public DNS address NOT the private DNS address that Amazon also displays.

  Yes, I was sshing to the public DNS address but I will try again and see where i went wrong.

  I wonder if it matters that I was trying this from my laptop over Wifi.

  Thanks!

  Larry

Hope this helps

Nick

On 11 October 2011 20:03, Lawrence Kellogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
 Does anybody have a good shortcut for getting an Seaside/Gemstone EC2 AMI up and running
on Amazon so I can try out a Seaside application? I tried Nick Ager's instructions
but the AMI files are no longer around.

 Thanks,

 Larry

Re: Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 12 Oct 2011, at 12:00, Nick Ager wrote:

> 1) Make sure you are ssh ing with a specified user, this varies depending on distribution. For Amazon's Linux distribution the user is ec2-user so you log-in with:
>     ssh [hidden email]
>  For Ubuntu IIRC you have to login as root

The user is 'ubuntu' nowadays.

Re: Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Nick
Hi Larry,

Make sure you include the " - " before your key and lines "#cloud-config" & "ssh_authorized_keys:"
I find it helpful to form the syntax in a text editor prior to posting into the web-form.

  So, is there a space between the '-' and the 'ssh-rsa'? Does it matter?

I haven't tried it without the spaces, but it works for me with the spaces.

I saw another parameter that said something about disabling metadata. I guess that parameter is not needed.

Yes that is optional.

  By the way, your instructions say open SSH on Port 22 but the screen shot shows port 25, or
vice versa. I assume that I only need to open up port 22 for SSH.

Correct port 22 is SSH. I've corrected the spurious reference to port 25 in the blog post - thanks. On the latest EC2 interface you can just pick SSH and HTTP from the drop-down menu.

  It seems like the Security Group stuff has changed. I wasn't able to get the All Internet
specification that you show. The entries I created all wanted a source, 0,0,0,0 or <a href="tel:1234567890" value="+441234567890" target="_blank">1234567890/default.
What do I do with that?

Just pick SSH and HTTP from the drop-down, but I don't think this is your problem.

  I wonder if it matters that I was trying this from my laptop over Wifi.

I doubt that's an issue.

Good luck

Nick

Re: Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Larry Kellogg
Hello Nick,
  I'm working my way through your instructions again. I switched to my
desktop machine and when I went to login to the instance, I got a popup
menu that asked me for the password for the RSA key and it logged me in.
I never got this popup on my laptop, not sure why. I thought I performed the
same steps.

On Oct 12, 2011, at 10:33 AM, Nick Ager wrote:

Hi Larry,

Make sure you include the " - " before your key and lines "#cloud-config" & "ssh_authorized_keys:"
I find it helpful to form the syntax in a text editor prior to posting into the web-form.

  So, is there a space between the '-' and the 'ssh-rsa'? Does it matter?

I haven't tried it without the spaces, but it works for me with the spaces.

I saw another parameter that said something about disabling metadata. I guess that parameter is not needed.

Yes that is optional.

  By the way, your instructions say open SSH on Port 22 but the screen shot shows port 25, or
vice versa. I assume that I only need to open up port 22 for SSH.

Correct port 22 is SSH. I've corrected the spurious reference to port 25 in the blog post - thanks. On the latest EC2 interface you can just pick SSH and HTTP from the drop-down menu.

   Thanks fo making this change.

  It seems like the Security Group stuff has changed. I wasn't able to get the All Internet
specification that you show. The entries I created all wanted a source, 0,0,0,0 or <a href="tel:1234567890" value="+441234567890" target="_blank">1234567890/default.
What do I do with that?

Just pick SSH and HTTP from the drop-down, but I don't think this is your problem.

  Great, I'll do that.

  I wonder if it matters that I was trying this from my laptop over Wifi.

I doubt that's an issue.

I found a few small issues:

This
chmod 600 ~/.shh/authorized_keys

should be ssh, not shh

AND
sudo /sudo /etc/init.d/sshd restart
should be

sudo /etc/init.d/sshd restart

I think.

I'll let you know if I make it all the way through the GemStone install.

Thanks a lot for the help.

  Larry

Good luck

Nick

Re: Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Larry Kellogg
Hey Nick,

Resolving glass.gemstone.com... 64.20.104.5
Connecting to glass.gemstone.com|64.20.104.5|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Connecting to glass.gemstone.com|64.20.104.5|:443... connected.
ERROR: certificate common name “magtrac.gemstone.com” doesn’t match requested host name “glass.gemstone.com”.
To connect to glass.gemstone.com insecurely, use ‘--no-check-certificate’.

and with the no certificate option

Resolving glass.gemstone.com... 64.20.104.5
Connecting to glass.gemstone.com|64.20.104.5|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Connecting to glass.gemstone.com|64.20.104.5|:443... connected.
WARNING: certificate common name “magtrac.gemstone.com” doesn’t match requested host name “glass.gemstone.com”.
2011-10-12 18:26:35 ERROR 404: Not Found.

I guess the install script has been moved somewhere....

Larry

[...]

Try:

thanks for the corrections - I fix the blog post in due course.

A good source of up-to-date information is:

Nick

On 12 October 2011 19:29, Lawrence Kellogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Nick,

--<a href="tel:2011-10-12%2018" value="+442011101218" target="_blank">2011-10-12 18:25:48--  http://glass.gemstone.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
--<a href="tel:2011-10-12%2018" value="+442011101218" target="_blank">2011-10-12 18:25:48--  https://glass.gemstone.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh

--<a href="tel:2011-10-12%2018" value="+442011101218" target="_blank">2011-10-12 18:26:35--  http://glass.gemstone.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
--<a href="tel:2011-10-12%2018" value="+442011101218" target="_blank">2011-10-12 18:26:35--  https://glass.gemstone.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
[...]

  Well, I'm up to testing out my Gemstone install.

 sudo /etc/init.d/gemstone restart
Stopping Gems...
   No PID file found for gem on port 9001, not running?
   No PID file found for gem on port 9002, not running?
   No PID file found for gem on port 9003, not running?
   No PID file for for the maintenance gem, not running?
   No PID file for for the service gem, not running?
                                                           [  OK  ]
stopnetldi[Info]: GemStone version '2.4.4.1'
stopnetldi[Info]: Server 'gs64ldi' is not running.
Missing password file $GEMSTONE/seaside/etc/gemstone.secret[  OK  ]
                                                           [FAILED]
Missing password file $GEMSTONE/seaside/etc/gemstone.secret
/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin/startnet: line 8: /bin/startnetldi: No such file or directory
                                                           [  OK  ]
Starting Gems....
Starting WAFastCGIAdaptor gem on port 9001
Starting WAFastCGIAdaptor gem on port 9002
Starting WAFastCGIAdaptor gem on port 9003
Starting maintenance gem
  Starting service gem
                                                           [  OK  ]
[seasideuser@domU-12-31-39-14-08-6B ~]$ /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin/runSeasideGems30: line 21: /WAFastCGIAdaptor_start-9002.log: Permission denied
/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin/runSeasideGems30: line 21: /WAFastCGIAdaptor_start-9001.log: Permission denied
/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin/runSeasideGems30: line 21: /WAFastCGIAdaptor_start-9003.log: Permission denied
/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin/runSeasideGems30: line 28: /maintenance_start.log: Permission denied
/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin/runSeasideGems30: line 35: /service_start.log: Permission denied

It looks like I am missing permissions to write to the log files.
Did I miss some change that I had to make to those two script files, runSeasideGems30 and gemstone?

It has been a while since I have done any Gemstone work so I'm a little lost.

Larry

On Oct 12, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Nick Ager wrote:

[...]

It looks as Gemstone can't find the password file: gemstone.secret

I'd suspect that the environment variable $GEMSTONE isn't setup correctly. On my installation:

echo $GEMSTONE

gives:

/opt/gemstone/product

also if I try

sudo echo $GEMSTONE

I get the same result. Do you see something similar?

Nick

On Oct 12, 2011, at 5:30 PM, Nick Ager wrote:

Hi Larry,

It looks as Gemstone can't find the password file: gemstone.secret

I'd suspect that the environment variable $GEMSTONE isn't setup correctly. On my installation:

echo $GEMSTONE

gives:

/opt/gemstone/product

also if I try

sudo echo $GEMSTONE

I get the same result. Do you see something similar?

  Yes, I get the exact same paths. I don't see a gemstone.secret file in
/opt/gemstone/product though.

Should one have been created as part of the install process?

Can I create one?

[...]

I do have a gemstone.secret file

[seasideuser@domU-12-31-39-14-08-6B ~]$ ls $GEMSTONE/seaside/etc/gemstone.secret
/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/gemstone.secret
[seasideuser@domU-12-31-39-14-08-6B ~]$

so I'm not sure why the restart script is complaining....

stopnetldi[Info]: Server 'gs64ldi' is not running.
Missing password file $GEMSTONE/seaside/etc/gemstone.secret[  OK  ]
                                                           [FAILED]
Missing password file $GEMSTONE/seaside/etc/gemstone.secret
/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin/startnet: line 8: /bin/startnetldi: No such file or directory

It also says this is missing:

$GEMSTONE/bin/startnetldi

but here it is:

[seasideuser@domU-12-31-39-14-08-6B bin]$ ls -l $GEMSTONE/bin/startnetldi
-r-xr-xr-x 1 seasideuser seasideuser 311158 Jul 13  2010 /opt/gemstone/product/bin/startnetldi
[seasideuser@domU-12-31-39-14-08-6B bin]$

Confusing....

Larry

[...]

I suspect that $GEMSTONE isn't defined in the context of the startup script. You could try adding:

echo 'echoing GEMSTONE:'
echo $GEMSTONE

within the startup script and see if you get any output. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

Nick