Scripts that should be run after a slice and ScriptLoader

Scripts that should be run after a slice and ScriptLoader

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi: I found that several times, we need to run some piece of code after a slide. The only way I see doing this is to write it in a txt , and, hopefully (many times, the commiter or the integrator forget about it), remember to put that in the email or issue, when I let you know the fix is ready.  Is there a better way ?

What about having a method in ScriptLoader where we can commit that together with the slice? Then when someone integrates that, it will see that, and will move that piece of code, from there, to the update or script methods.

I don't know. What do you think ?

Would be cool, maybe, to reify the "slice" concept, where you can have:  pre-doits, a collections of "pieces of code" (several times we have, part1, part2, tc), post-doits, etc...But I guess that requires a lot of effort.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: [Pharo-project] Scripts that should be run after a slice and ScriptLoader

Simon Denier-3

On 20 janv. 2010, at 11:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi: I found that several times, we need to run some piece of code after a slide. The only way I see doing this is to write it in a txt , and, hopefully (many times, the commiter or the integrator forget about it), remember to put that in the email or issue, when I let you know the fix is ready.  Is there a better way ?
>
> What about having a method in ScriptLoader where we can commit that together with the slice? Then when someone integrates that, it will see that, and will move that piece of code, from there, to the update or script methods.
>
> I don't know. What do you think ?

If I understood correctly, Monticello already has this feature for package so I guess it should work for slices.

Click on a package in MC browser, then click on the 'Scripts' button in the toolbar, you get menu to edit the preamble, postscript, as well as preambleOfRemoval and postscriptOfRemoval

> Would be cool, maybe, to reify the "slice" concept, where you can have:  pre-doits, a collections of "pieces of code" (several times we have, part1, part2, tc), post-doits, etc...But I guess that requires a lot of effort.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

 Simon

Re: [Pharo-project] Scripts that should be run after a slice and ScriptLoader

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Jan 20, 2010, at 1:25 09PM, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 20 janv. 2010, at 11:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi: I found that several times, we need to run some piece of code after a slide. The only way I see doing this is to write it in a txt , and, hopefully (many times, the commiter or the integrator forget about it), remember to put that in the email or issue, when I let you know the fix is ready.  Is there a better way ?
>>
>> What about having a method in ScriptLoader where we can commit that together with the slice? Then when someone integrates that, it will see that, and will move that piece of code, from there, to the update or script methods.
>>
>> I don't know. What do you think ?
>

> If I understood correctly, Monticello already has this feature for package so I guess it should work for slices.
>
> Click on a package in MC browser, then click on the 'Scripts' button in the toolbar, you get menu to edit the preamble, postscript, as well as preambleOfRemoval and postscriptOfRemoval

Preamble/Postscripts don't work anymore in Pharo though, following the procedure you outlined I get a DNU when selecting the script I want to edit.
Not sure when they were removed, but probably it was part of some PackageInfo cleaning.

Cheers,
Henry

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 20 janv. 2010, at 11:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi: I found that several times, we need to run some piece of code after a slide. The only way I see doing this is to write it in a txt , and, hopefully (many times, the commiter or the integrator forget about it), remember to put that in the email or issue, when I let you know the fix is ready.  Is there a better way ?
>
> What about having a method in ScriptLoader where we can commit that together with the slice? Then when someone integrates that, it will see that, and will move that piece of code, from there, to the update or script methods.
>
> I don't know. What do you think ?

If I understood correctly, Monticello already has this feature for package so I guess it should work for slices.

Click on a package in MC browser, then click on the 'Scripts' button in the toolbar, you get menu to edit the preamble, postscript, as well as preambleOfRemoval and postscriptOfRemoval

Thanks Simon. I wasn't aware of that. However, I think it doesn't fix completely what I mean. Suppose an integrator load that slice. Ok, the script will be automatically run, BUT in his PC. Then, suppose he load some others scripts and he finally do a new release. If WE want to update trough the update stream to the image, it won't work. That's why we have the update methods in ScriptLoader (I think). So, in such case, they have to put it there also, I they have to be aware of that.

> Would be cool, maybe, to reify the "slice" concept, where you can have:  pre-doits, a collections of "pieces of code" (several times we have, part1, part2, tc), post-doits, etc...But I guess that requires a lot of effort.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

 Simon

On 20 janv. 2010, at 14:02, Henrik Johansen wrote:

[...]

Ah, actually I have never used the feature, but I thought some people used it for some packages (typically requiring to clean stuff in globals). Maybe someone else can help?

--
 Simon

On 20 janv. 2010, at 14:09, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 20 janv. 2010, at 11:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi: I found that several times, we need to run some piece of code after a slide. The only way I see doing this is to write it in a txt , and, hopefully (many times, the commiter or the integrator forget about it), remember to put that in the email or issue, when I let you know the fix is ready.  Is there a better way ?
>
> What about having a method in ScriptLoader where we can commit that together with the slice? Then when someone integrates that, it will see that, and will move that piece of code, from there, to the update or script methods.
>
> I don't know. What do you think ?

If I understood correctly, Monticello already has this feature for package so I guess it should work for slices.

Click on a package in MC browser, then click on the 'Scripts' button in the toolbar, you get menu to edit the preamble, postscript, as well as preambleOfRemoval and postscriptOfRemoval

Thanks Simon. I wasn't aware of that. However, I think it doesn't fix completely what I mean. Suppose an integrator load that slice. Ok, the script will be automatically run, BUT in his PC. Then, suppose he load some others scripts and he finally do a new release. If WE want to update trough the update stream to the image, it won't work. That's why we have the update methods in ScriptLoader (I think). So, in such case, they have to put it there also, I they have to be aware of that.

OK, I didn't understand your case in the first place then.

> Would be cool, maybe, to reify the "slice" concept, where you can have:  pre-doits, a collections of "pieces of code" (several times we have, part1, part2, tc), post-doits, etc...But I guess that requires a lot of effort.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

 Simon

 Simon

Re: [Pharo-project] Scripts that should be run after a slice and ScriptLoader

not that I know.
Since I never used it I do not know if they were working or not.
Probably keith fixed that in MC1.5

Stef

>>> Hi: I found that several times, we need to run some piece of code after a slide. The only way I see doing this is to write it in a txt , and, hopefully (many times, the commiter or the integrator forget about it), remember to put that in the email or issue, when I let you know the fix is ready.  Is there a better way ?
>>>
>>> What about having a method in ScriptLoader where we can commit that together with the slice? Then when someone integrates that, it will see that, and will move that piece of code, from there, to the update or script methods.
>>>
>>> I don't know. What do you think ?
>>

>> If I understood correctly, Monticello already has this feature for package so I guess it should work for slices.
>>
>> Click on a package in MC browser, then click on the 'Scripts' button in the toolbar, you get menu to edit the preamble, postscript, as well as preambleOfRemoval and postscriptOfRemoval
>
> Preamble/Postscripts don't work anymore in Pharo though, following the procedure you outlined I get a DNU when selecting the script I want to edit.
> Not sure when they were removed, but probably it was part of some PackageInfo cleaning.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: [Pharo-project] Scripts that should be run after a slice and ScriptLoader

Mariano when you need extend the scriptlOader with a method forSLICE- in scriptloader
and mention it in the slice comments.
Stef