Seaside 2.8a1-lr.518 - VW7.6 27 - weird thing happening

Seaside 2.8a1-lr.518 - VW7.6 27 - weird thing happening

Claus Kick
Hello everyone,

I am experimenting with Seaside 2.8 on VisualWorks 7.6.
After implementing some components, I figured I should get more
accustomed with VisualWorks itself first, so I wrote a few classes
(nothing in the Seaside class hierarchy).
Now this is mostly done, so I wanted to go back to working on the
Seaside project.

But strangely enough, my app does not work anymore. Ok, perhaps I made a
mistake with it, so I tried to have a look at its configuration.

Turns out I receive this stack trace when I click on "edit" for that app :

Possible Causes

     * you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand

Stack Trace

    1.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAAnswerHandler
       aMessage
           a Message with selector: #restore: and arguments: #(a
Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAAnswerHandler)...etc...
       excpt
           a MessageNotUnderstood
       resumeValue
           nil

    2.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>restoreFrom:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAAnswerHandler
       aMemento
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAAnswerHandler

    3.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>restoreFromSnapshot:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAAnswerHandler
       anObject
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAAnswerHandler

    4.

       thisContext
           optimized [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
       self
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAAnswerHandler
       value
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAAnswerHandler

    5.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WASnapshot(IdentityDictionary)>>keysAndValuesDo:
       self
           Seaside.WASnapshot (a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a
Seaside.WAAnswerHandler->a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a
Seaside.WAAnswerHandler a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a
Seaside.WAWalkback->a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a
Seaside.WAWalkback )...etc...
       aBlock
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
           2
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAAnswerHandler

Restarting Seaside did not help.
Trying to remove the Application Configuration also returns a walkback,
as does trying to access the tests or the examples.

What can I do now?

Cheers - Claus

Re: Seaside 2.8a1-lr.518 - VW7.6 27 - weird thing happening

Philippe Marschall
Looks, interesting, like something in the backtracking mechanism is
broken. Are all applications broken? Can you post a are detailed stack
trace, eg. open a debugger?

Cheers
Philippe

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> Looks, interesting, like something in the backtracking mechanism is
> broken. Are all applications broken? Can you post a are detailed stack
> trace, eg. open a debugger?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Hello Philippe,

sorry, forgot about the debugger, my bad.

- the Dispatcher still works
- I can still open config , but configuring anything yields a walkback

At first I figured my own application was configured the wrong way, so I
tried to remove it, but this does not work either (i.e. returns a walkback).

- my own app crashes (ok, very likely that I have an error in there, but
still get about the same - to me mystic -  walkback which does not
include anything from my code)

- tests breaks
- tools breaks
- examples also breaks

I have not modified anything in the base image, I have loaded most of
the development tools and some of the graphics stuff, but thats it.

The walkbacks differ, but I also get a walkback for trying to open a
debugger (everywhere I tried which should be about everywhere).

In order to show this I choose the examples configuration:

Configure the examples yields:

Possible Causes

     * you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand

Stack Trace

    1.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false
[...]

false->a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false...etc...
       aBlock
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
           3
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false

Clicking on debug yields:

[...]

           1
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAWalkback

Trying to launch the examples yields:

Possible Causes

     * you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand

Stack Trace

    1.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame
       aMessage
           a Message with selector: #restore: and arguments: #(a
Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame)...etc...
[...]

Seaside.WAToolFrame->a Seaside.WAValueHolder...etc...
       aBlock
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
           1
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame

Debugging this walkback (debug launched examples app) yields:

[...]

There are two questions there I think:

1. What is the reason for this happening?

2. How can I get out of this mess again? Of course, I dont have any real
backup of the image (shame on me, should have known better), as I
figured nothing of what I am doing is even remotely disturbing the inner
workings of the image.

Awaiting words of wisdom (or even mockery if I have just been plain stupid),

2008/9/1 Claus Kick <[hidden email]>:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>> Looks, interesting, like something in the backtracking mechanism is
>> broken. Are all applications broken? Can you post a are detailed stack
>> trace, eg. open a debugger?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Philippe
>
> Hello Philippe,
>
> sorry, forgot about the debugger, my bad.
>
> - the Dispatcher still works
> - I can still open config , but configuring anything yields a walkback
>
> At first I figured my own application was configured the wrong way, so I
> tried to remove it, but this does not work either (i.e. returns a walkback).

Removing returns a walkback?

> - my own app crashes (ok, very likely that I have an error in there, but
> still get about the same - to me mystic -  walkback which does not include
> anything from my code)

Can you describe crash a little bit more in detail.

> - tests breaks
> - tools breaks
> - examples also breaks

What do you mean with break?

> I have not modified anything in the base image, I have loaded most of the
> development tools and some of the graphics stuff, but thats it.
>
> The walkbacks differ, but I also get a walkback for trying to open a
> debugger (everywhere I tried which should be about everywhere).
>
> In order to show this I choose the examples configuration:
>

> There are two questions there I think:
>
> 1. What is the reason for this happening?

I don't have enough information to answer this. The stack traces are
not very useful. Squeak has a method #errorReportOn: that returns a
useful stack trace, I'm sure VW has something similar.

> 2. How can I get out of this mess again? Of course, I dont have any real
> backup of the image (shame on me, should have known better), as I figured
> nothing of what I am doing is even remotely disturbing the inner workings of
> the image.

Can't you commit your code, then build a new image and load your code again?

Cheers
Philippe

Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2008/9/1 Claus Kick <[hidden email]>:
>
>>Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>>>Looks, interesting, like something in the backtracking mechanism is
>>>broken. Are all applications broken? Can you post a are detailed stack
>>>trace, eg. open a debugger?
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Philippe
>>
>>Hello Philippe,
>>
>>sorry, forgot about the debugger, my bad.
>>
>>- the Dispatcher still works
>>- I can still open config , but configuring anything yields a walkback
>>
>>At first I figured my own application was configured the wrong way, so I
>>tried to remove it, but this does not work either (i.e. returns a walkback).
>

> Removing returns a walkback?

Yes it does as  follows:

Possible Causes

     * you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand

Stack Trace

    1.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false
       aMessage
           a Message with selector: #restore: and arguments: #(a
Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false)
       excpt
           a MessageNotUnderstood
       resumeValue
           nil

    2.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>restoreFrom:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false
       aMemento
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false

    3.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>restoreFromSnapshot:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false
       anObject
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false

    4.

       thisContext
           optimized [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
       self
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false
       value
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false

    5.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WASnapshot(IdentityDictionary)>>keysAndValuesDo:
       self
           Seaside.WASnapshot (a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents:
false->a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false...etc...
       aBlock
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
           3
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false

>>- my own app crashes (ok, very likely that I have an error in there, but
>>still get about the same - to me mystic -  walkback which does not include
>>anything from my code)
>

> Can you describe crash a little bit more in detail.

Well, I get a similar looking walkback, that is:

Possible Causes

     * you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand

Stack Trace

    1.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame
       aMessage
           a Message with selector: #restore: and arguments: #(a
Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame)...etc...
       excpt
           a MessageNotUnderstood
       resumeValue
           nil

    2.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>restoreFrom:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame
       aMemento
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame

    3.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>restoreFromSnapshot:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame
       anObject
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame

    4.

       thisContext
           optimized [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
       self
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame
       value
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame

    5.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WASnapshot(IdentityDictionary)>>keysAndValuesDo:
       self
           Seaside.WASnapshot (a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a
Seaside.WAToolFrame->a Seaside.WAValueHolder...etc...
       aBlock
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
           2
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame

>>- tests breaks
>>- tools breaks
>>- examples also breaks
>

> What do you mean with break?

Walkbacks, similar to the two mentioned above.

>>I have not modified anything in the base image, I have loaded most of the
>>development tools and some of the graphics stuff, but thats it.
>>
>>The walkbacks differ, but I also get a walkback for trying to open a
>>debugger (everywhere I tried which should be about everywhere).
>>
>>In order to show this I choose the examples configuration:
>>

>>There are two questions there I think:
>>
>>1. What is the reason for this happening?
>

> I don't have enough information to answer this. The stack traces are
> not very useful. Squeak has a method #errorReportOn: that returns a
> useful stack trace, I'm sure VW has something similar.

I will look into this, perhaps something more useful turns up.

>>2. How can I get out of this mess again? Of course, I dont have any real
>>backup of the image (shame on me, should have known better), as I figured
>>nothing of what I am doing is even remotely disturbing the inner workings of
>>the image.
>

> Can't you commit your code, then build a new image and load your code again?

I will probably have to do something like that, yes. *Shudders*

Re: Seaside 2.8a1-lr.518 - VW7.6 27 - weird thing happening

Stefan Schmiedl
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 17:26:50 +0200
Claus Kick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
> > Can't you commit your code, then build a new image and load your code again?
>
> I will probably have to do something like that, yes. *Shudders*

hmmm.... my advice for you:

If this makes you shudder, automate it so you don't have to care about
it anymore.

As you're using VisualWorks, let me offer some inspiration with the
following script. Call it via "visual.im -fileIn builder.st" to get a
new image store.im containing some stuff. The rest is mostly copy and
paste...

Snapshot new saveAs: 'store' thenQuit: false.
!
Parcel
  loadParcelByName: 'StoreForPostgreSQL';
  loadParcelByName: 'ProgrammingExtensions';
  loadParcelByName: 'RBSUnitExtensions';
  loadParcelByName: 'Method-History';
  loadParcelByName: 'RBRegexExtensions';
  loadParcelByName: 'ODBCEXDI';
  loadParcelByName: 'ODBCThapiEXDI';
  loadParcelByName: 'AutoComplete';
  loadParcelByName: 'NewPrerequisiteEngine';
  loadParcelByName: 'Out';
  loadParcelByName: 'RBSpawnPackageBrowser'.
!
"load saved repository accounts from repository.xml"
Store.RepositoryManager importRepositoriesFromStream:
  ('repositories.xml' asFilename withEncoding: #UTF_8) readStream.
Store.DbRegistry connectTo:
  (Store.RepositoryManager repositories detect:
    [:each | each name = 'stefan@g64']).
!
(Store.Bundle newestVersionWithName: 'Assessments') loadSrc.
(Store.Package newestVersionWithName: 'ComplexConditions') loadSrc.
(Store.Package newestVersionWithName: 'ComplexCondition Tests') loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'LessProgress' version: '7.6 18') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'ExtraEmphases' version: '45') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'ODBCUnixSupport' version: '2-swsch.1') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'RBCodeHighlighting' version: '63.2') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'RBEnclosureHighlighting' version: '1.0') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'Searchlight' version: '221') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'SearchlightTools' version: '218') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'StoreForGlorpVWUI' version: '2.4 70') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'wordSelection' version: '1.2') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'SUnitToo' version: '50') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'SUnitToo(ls)' version: 'RB4xx - 29') first loadSrc.
(Store.Package withName: 'SUnitToo-Cancelations' version: 'RB4xx - 5') first loadSrc.
!
Refactory.Browser.BrowserApplicationModel promptOnRefactoring: true.
Refactory.Browser.ListNavigatorPart showHorizontalScrollbar: true.
Refactory.Browser.BrowserCodeTool
  saveAutoFormat: false;
  browseAutoFormat: false.
Refactory.Browser.RBConfigurableFormatter.NewLineBeforeFirstCascade := true.
Refactory.Browser.RBConfigurableFormatter.NewLineBeforeFirstKeyword := true.
Refactory.Browser.RBConfigurableFormatter.NumberOfArgumentsForMultiLine := 3.
Refactory.Browser.RBConfigurableFormatter.FormatCommentWithStatements := true.
Refactory.Browser.RBConfigurableFormatter.StringFollowingReturn := ' '.
!
[ Transcript clear.
Delay forSeconds: 10.
ObjectMemory globalGarbageCollect;
  globalCompactingGC.
Snapshot new saveAs: 'store' thenQuit: true.
] fork

HTH,
s.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende"

2008/9/2 Claus Kick <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>      key
>          a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame
>      value
>          a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame
>
>   5.
>
>      thisContext
>          Seaside.WASnapshot(IdentityDictionary)>>keysAndValuesDo:
>      self
>          Seaside.WASnapshot (a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a
> Seaside.WAToolFrame->a Seaside.WAValueHolder...etc...
>      aBlock
>          BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
>          2
>      key
>          a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame
>
>>> - tests breaks
>>> - tools breaks
>>> - examples also breaks
>>

>> What do you mean with break?
>
> Walkbacks, similar to the two mentioned above.

I had a look again and this looks not like a configuration issue. It
looks more like something in the core of the Seaside backtracking
mechanism is broken. The code seems to be quite different from Squeak
as well. Are you sure you changed no Seaside code?

Cheers
Philippe

Philippe Marschall wrote:

> I had a look again and this looks not like a configuration issue. It
> looks more like something in the core of the Seaside backtracking
> mechanism is broken. The code seems to be quite different from Squeak
> as well. Are you sure you changed no Seaside code?

Yes, I am quite sure I have not changed any Seaside code; I am not new
to Smalltalk (although new to VisualWorks and Seaside).

Ok, it seems the best thing to do is start again with a fresh image, it
seems *sigh*

Thanks for your time, hopefully this is nothing reocurring.

Cheers,
Claus