Seaside 2.9 Debugger

John Toohey
Hi,
I am using the latest 2.9 code and Pharo, and cannot get the SeaSide
debugger to work. I have added all the WA* libs to my application, but
I do not see any Halos on my rendered pages, and when I get an error
in my code, no stacktrace is generated.

Is there a configuration option that I am missing?

--
-JT

Re: Seaside 2.9 Debugger

Julian Fitzell-2
There's an exceptionHandler config option. You'd want to set it to
WAWalkbackErrorHandler to get the 2.8 behaviour but note there is an
issue there currently which is that you won't get a walkback page for
errors that occur while rendering (you'll just get a debugger in the
image).

You can also add a WADevelopmentConfiguration to your app (or to the
Application Defaults configuration) which will set this option (as
well as enable the toolbar) for you automatically. There's still some
work needed on the UI in this area as you can probably tell. :)

Julian

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 7:02 PM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using the latest 2.9 code and Pharo, and cannot get the SeaSide
> debugger to work. I have added all the WA* libs to my application, but
> I do not see any Halos on my rendered pages, and when I get an error
> in my code, no stacktrace is generated.
>
> Is there a configuration option that I am missing?
>
> --
> -JT

Re: Seaside 2.9 Debugger

John Toohey-2
Great that works. I had to make sure that the
WADevelopmentConfiguration was the first in the list, otherwise it
threw an exception. I don't see the toolbar, but the debugger opens in
the image, and that is enough for now.

Many thanks.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 14:53, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's an exceptionHandler config option. You'd want to set it to
> WAWalkbackErrorHandler to get the 2.8 behaviour but note there is an
> issue there currently which is that you won't get a walkback page for
> errors that occur while rendering (you'll just get a debugger in the
> image).
>
> You can also add a WADevelopmentConfiguration to your app (or to the
> Application Defaults configuration) which will set this option (as
> well as enable the toolbar) for you automatically. There's still some
> work needed on the UI in this area as you can probably tell. :)
>
> Julian
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 7:02 PM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am using the latest 2.9 code and Pharo, and cannot get the SeaSide
>> debugger to work. I have added all the WA* libs to my application, but
>> I do not see any Halos on my rendered pages, and when I get an error
>> in my code, no stacktrace is generated.
>>
>> Is there a configuration option that I am missing?
>>
>> --
>> -JT

-JT

Re: Seaside 2.9 Debugger

Lukas Renggli
> threw an exception. I don't see the toolbar, but the debugger opens in
> the image, and that is enough for now.

When you add the WADevelopmentConfiguration you should get the toolbar.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Seaside 2.9 Debugger

John Toohey-2
See it now, thanks.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 15:45, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> threw an exception. I don't see the toolbar, but the debugger opens in
>> the image, and that is enough for now.
>
> When you add the WADevelopmentConfiguration you should get the toolbar.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

-JT

Re: Seaside 2.9 Debugger

Julian Fitzell-2
Mmm... what was the exception? It shouldn't need to be first in the list...

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great that works. I had to make sure that the
> WADevelopmentConfiguration was the first in the list, otherwise it
> threw an exception. I don't see the toolbar, but the debugger opens in
> the image, and that is enough for now.
>
> Many thanks.
>

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 14:53, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There's an exceptionHandler config option. You'd want to set it to
>> WAWalkbackErrorHandler to get the 2.8 behaviour but note there is an
>> issue there currently which is that you won't get a walkback page for
>> errors that occur while rendering (you'll just get a debugger in the
>> image).
>>
>> You can also add a WADevelopmentConfiguration to your app (or to the
>> Application Defaults configuration) which will set this option (as
>> well as enable the toolbar) for you automatically. There's still some
>> work needed on the UI in this area as you can probably tell. :)
>>
>> Julian
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 7:02 PM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am using the latest 2.9 code and Pharo, and cannot get the SeaSide
>>> debugger to work. I have added all the WA* libs to my application, but
>>> I do not see any Halos on my rendered pages, and when I get an error
>>> in my code, no stacktrace is generated.
>>>
>>> Is there a configuration option that I am missing?
>>>
>>> --
>>> -JT

> -JT

Re: Seaside 2.9 Debugger

John Toohey-2
I get this :- WATaskNotDelgated signal: 'This task has no delegation.'

If I move it down in the list, everything is good.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 16:33, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mmm... what was the exception? It shouldn't need to be first in the list...
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Great that works. I had to make sure that the
>> WADevelopmentConfiguration was the first in the list, otherwise it
>> threw an exception. I don't see the toolbar, but the debugger opens in
>> the image, and that is enough for now.
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 14:53, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> There's an exceptionHandler config option. You'd want to set it to
>>> WAWalkbackErrorHandler to get the 2.8 behaviour but note there is an
>>> issue there currently which is that you won't get a walkback page for
>>> errors that occur while rendering (you'll just get a debugger in the
>>> image).
>>>
>>> You can also add a WADevelopmentConfiguration to your app (or to the
>>> Application Defaults configuration) which will set this option (as
>>> well as enable the toolbar) for you automatically. There's still some
>>> work needed on the UI in this area as you can probably tell. :)
>>>
>>> Julian

>> --
>> -JT

-JT

Re: Seaside 2.9 Debugger

Julian Fitzell-2
Hm. I can't reproduce this. If it's reproduceable for you could you
send me a full stack trace?

Julian

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I get this :- WATaskNotDelgated signal: 'This task has no delegation.'
>
> If I move it down in the list, everything is good.
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 16:33, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Mmm... what was the exception? It shouldn't need to be first in the list...

Re: Seaside 2.9 Debugger

John Toohey-2
Let me know if you need anything else.

--- The full stack ---
JulietRootTask(WATask)>>renderContentOn:
WARenderVisitor>>visitPainter:
WARenderVisitor(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitPresenter:
WARenderVisitor(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitComponent:
WARenderVisitor(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitTask:
JulietRootTask(WATask)>>accept:
WARenderVisitor(WAVisitor)>>visit:
WARenderingGuide(WAPresenterGuide)>>visitPainter:
WARenderingGuide(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitPresenter:
WARenderingGuide(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitComponent:
WARenderingGuide(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitTask:
JulietRootTask(WATask)>>accept:
JulietRootTask(WAPresenter)>>renderUndecoratedWithContext:
WAToolDecoration(WADecoration)>>renderNextOn:
WAToolDecoration>>renderChildOn:
WAToolDecoration>>renderContentOn:
WARenderVisitor>>visitPainter:
WARenderVisitor(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitPresenter:
WARenderVisitor(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitDecoration:
WAToolDecoration(WADecoration)>>accept:
WARenderVisitor(WAVisitor)>>visit:
WARenderingGuide(WAPresenterGuide)>>visitPainter:
WARenderingGuide(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitPresenter:
WARenderingGuide(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitDecoration:
WAToolDecoration(WADecoration)>>accept:
WARenderingGuide(WAPainterVisitor)>>visitDecorationsOfComponent:
JulietRootTask(WAComponent)>>acceptDecorated:
WARenderingGuide(WAPresenterGuide)>>visit:
JulietRootTask(WAPainter)>>renderWithContext:
WARenderPhaseContinuation>>processRendering:
[] in WARenderPhaseContinuation>>handleRequest {[:response | self
processRendering: response]}
WARenderPhaseContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>respond:
WARenderPhaseContinuation>>handleRequest
[] in WARenderPhaseContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>basicValue
{[self handleRequest]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
WARenderPhaseContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>withUnregisteredHandlerDo:
WARenderPhaseContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>basicValue
WARenderPhaseContinuation(WASessionContinuation)>>captureAndInvoke
WARenderLoopMain>>start
JulietSession(WASession)>>start
[] in JulietSession(WASession)>>handleFiltered: {[^ self start]}
Dictionary>>at:ifAbsent:
[] in JulietSession(WASession)>>handleFiltered: {[key :=
aRequestContext request fields     at: self actionField
ifAbsent...]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
WACurrentRequestContext class(WADynamicVariable class)>>use:during:
JulietSession(WASession)>>handleFiltered:
WAMutualExclusionFilter(WARequestFilter)>>handleFiltered:
[] in WAMutualExclusionFilter>>handleFiltered: {[super handleFiltered:
aRequestContext]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
[] in WAMutex>>critical: {[owner := process.  aBlock   ensure: [owner := nil]]}
[] in Semaphore>>critical: {[caught := true.  self wait.  blockValue
:= mutuallyExcludedBlock value]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
Semaphore>>critical:
WAMutex>>critical:
WAMutualExclusionFilter>>handleFiltered:
[] in JulietSession(WARequestHandler)>>handle: {[self filter
handleFiltered: aRequestContext]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
WARequestContext>>push:while:
JulietSession(WARequestHandler)>>handle:
WAApplication(WARegistry)>>dispatch:to:
WAApplication(WARegistry)>>handle:registering:

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 16:48, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hm. I can't reproduce this. If it's reproduceable for you could you
> send me a full stack trace?
>
> Julian
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I get this :- WATaskNotDelgated signal: 'This task has no delegation.'
>>
>> If I move it down in the list, everything is good.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 16:33, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Mmm... what was the exception? It shouldn't need to be first in the list...

-JT

Re: Seaside 2.9 Debugger

Julian Fitzell-2
Ok, that let's me reproduce, thanks.

WADevelopmentConfiguration *does* need to be below
WARenderLoopConfiguration since it overrides the value of #mainClass
specified there. Not sure there's much we can do about that but I'll
give it some thought. Like I said, this isn't really very
user-friendly yet. It's just enough to get the job done at the moment
and no more. :)

Julian