Seaside 2.9 & dynamic variables

Sophie424
Has 2.9 changed how it does dynamic variables to some form of thread-local
variables? If so, does that mean I can stop in the debugger and see those
variables more easily? In 2.8 they were often visible through session, which
was not accessible in the debugger.

Thanks!

Re: Seaside 2.9 & dynamic variable

Julian Fitzell-3
Ironically, not necessarily. Squeak's debugger, at least, doesn't
necessarily use the process that was running the code when an error
occured to step through it, which means the process variable isn't
set.

The new exception handler code does however catch a Notification
indicating that the WACurrentRequestContext process variable was not
set and resumes with the correct value. This allows you to step over
code that uses that process variable in most cases. There is also a
slight modification in the Seaside-Squeak-Development package to make
inspecting things that depend on the current request context work from
the Debugger.

We're trying to make this better so do please let us know if you run
into problems of this sort with 2.9.

Julian

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Sophie (itsme213) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has 2.9 changed how it does dynamic variables to some form of thread-local
> variables? If so, does that mean I can stop in the debugger and see those
> variables more easily? In 2.8 they were often visible through session, which
> was not accessible in the debugger.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Seaside 2.9 & dynamic variable

Göran Krampe
Hey!

Just wanted to mention that someone said at OOPSLA (when I showed
Blackfoot - my SimpleCGI implementation) that the Notification-trick
actually shows up in performance profiling, so we might want to change
to something else. Keith has made a package for "Process locals" btw, we
use it in Gjallar.

regards, Göran

PS. But Julian is of course still correct regarding debugger.

Re: Seaside 2.9 & dynamic variable

Julian Fitzell-2
Hi Göran,

What do you mean the "notification trick"? Are you talking about 2.8
or 2.9? In 2.9, an Error is only signaled when the process variable is
accessed but not defined. This should only happen due to a
misconfiguration or in the debugger. The exception handlers facilitate
debugging by handling the error and resuming with the correct value.

Julian

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> Just wanted to mention that someone said at OOPSLA (when I showed Blackfoot
> - my SimpleCGI implementation) that the Notification-trick actually shows up
> in performance profiling, so we might want to change to something else.
> Keith has made a package for "Process locals" btw, we use it in Gjallar.
>
> regards, Göran
>
> PS. But Julian is of course still correct regarding debugger.

Re: Seaside 2.9 & dynamic variable

Karsten Kusche
I think he refers to the WADynamicVariable implementation as a
Notification subclass.

Kind Regards
Karsten

Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Hi Göran,
>
> What do you mean the "notification trick"? Are you talking about 2.8
> or 2.9? In 2.9, an Error is only signaled when the process variable is
> accessed but not defined. This should only happen due to a
> misconfiguration or in the debugger. The exception handlers facilitate
> debugging by handling the error and resuming with the correct value.
>
> Julian
>
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey!
>>
>> Just wanted to mention that someone said at OOPSLA (when I showed Blackfoot
>> - my SimpleCGI implementation) that the Notification-trick actually shows up
>> in performance profiling, so we might want to change to something else.
>> Keith has made a package for "Process locals" btw, we use it in Gjallar.
>>
>> regards, Göran
>>
>> PS. But Julian is of course still correct regarding debugger.

Karsten Kusche - Dipl.Inf. - [hidden email]
Tel: +49 3496 21 43 29
Georg Heeg eK - Köthen
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund A 12812

Re: Seaside 2.9 & dynamic variable

Julian Fitzell-2
Ok, well in that case, that is no longer used in 2.9. As the original
poster said, we are now using a process variable.

Julian