Seaside 3.4.2 & help wanted!

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Seasiders,

A new release of Seaside is ready for you: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/releases

Some important bugs have been fixed. Especially, if you are running Seaside on Gemstone, and are using a version newer than 3.3.0, I recommend you upgrade to 3.4.2 as soon as possible (see list of bugfixes in the release page). Thanks to everyone who was involved in reporting or fixing the bugs!

We also stepped up our tests by adding a bunch of automated tests for the functional testsuite that we needed to test manually before. So this is going to help a lot to prevent the bugs we fixed in this release.
Mind that the Travis-CI builds are failing since yesterday due to an issue caused by Travis-CI itself. We hope this gets back to normal soon.

Finally but importantly: we need help maintaining and improving Seaside!

If you are using Grease and/or Seaside on Squeak: we need people to maintain the Squeak compatibility actively. Please think about joining us to keep Seaside rolling on Squeak in the future. For me, it’s beginning to become too much work to actively maintain the compatibility on every release.
If you are using Seaside in general: please let us know if you are able and willing to contribute to the project.
If you want to help to make a new website for Seaside, using Seaside… please let us know!

We only ask to follow some basic contribution guidelines that can be found here: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

cheers!
Johan

Re: Seaside 3.4.2 & help wanted!

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Johan,

Thanks for leading the development and releases of Seaside!

As I've been using Seaside continuously during the last year I also
felt guilty of not contributing back to the development of it.

What would be the best way to do it? I see there are a lot of issues,
but many are tagged as 3.5 and 3.6.
Is there a priority list? Are there low hanging fruits that can be
used to gain momentum in the contribution process?

I'm currently exploring changes or extensions (that I think are
enhancements) to the core model, to expose an app to be session-less
for most of its use, but it's an exploratory long road that I take
in my spare time that might end up being a dead-end.

Best regards.

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 3:54 PM Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Seasiders,
>
> A new release of Seaside is ready for you: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/releases
>
> Some important bugs have been fixed. Especially, if you are running Seaside on Gemstone, and are using a version newer than 3.3.0, I recommend you upgrade to 3.4.2 as soon as possible (see list of bugfixes in the release page). Thanks to everyone who was involved in reporting or fixing the bugs!
>
> We also stepped up our tests by adding a bunch of automated tests for the functional testsuite that we needed to test manually before. So this is going to help a lot to prevent the bugs we fixed in this release.
> Mind that the Travis-CI builds are failing since yesterday due to an issue caused by Travis-CI itself. We hope this gets back to normal soon.
>
> Finally but importantly: we need help maintaining and improving Seaside!
>
> If you are using Grease and/or Seaside on Squeak: we need people to maintain the Squeak compatibility actively. Please think about joining us to keep Seaside rolling on Squeak in the future. For me, it’s beginning to become too much work to actively maintain the compatibility on every release.
> If you are using Seaside in general: please let us know if you are able and willing to contribute to the project.
> If you want to help to make a new website for Seaside, using Seaside… please let us know!
>
> We only ask to follow some basic contribution guidelines that can be found here: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
>
> Thanks to all who is contributing now and before: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/graphs/contributors + https://github.com/SeasideSt/Grease/graphs/contributors
>
> cheers!
> Johan

Re: Seaside 3.4.2 & help wanted!

Annick
Hi Johan,

I would like to contribute, but I am using VW, which makes it lagging behind …
Annick

Le 9 juil. 2020 à 20:54, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

otto
Thanks a lot for all the effort, Johan (and everyone else involved).

We also use Pharo (6.1 currently) and deploy to GemStone.

We battle tremendously to upgrade Seaside & Magritte with the Metacello tool set on GemStone. We abandoned an attempt in February to upgrade from GemStone 3.4.1 to 3.4.5 because it entailed upgrading the image, which is just a mess in our environment.

We have made (maybe) useful changes to Seaside and Magritte and would like to contribute that, but our GS issue is discouraging us from making changes.

It appears as if we are loading Seaside 3.2.4, but I'm not even sure of that. So, a big job to get it upgraded :-(

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 5:03 AM Annick Fron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to contribute, but I am using VW, which makes it lagging behind …

Same thing here, most of my daily Seaside development happens in VW
these days. You don't even know which exact Seaside version is running
there.
I'd like to know the Seaside for VW porting/maintenance/contribution
upstream process, but it is unknown to me.

Fortunately I have another small Seaside app in the makiings, and I'm
using Pharo for that.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Seaside 3.4.2 & help wanted!

Johan Brichau-2
Hey Esteban,

On 10 Jul 2020, at 00:37, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

As I've been using Seaside continuously during the last year I also
felt guilty of not contributing back to the development of it.

You are very actively responding to questions and discussions both on Discord and the mailinglist, and that too is a contribution!

What would be the best way to do it? I see there are a lot of issues,
but many are tagged as 3.5 and 3.6.
Is there a priority list? Are there low hanging fruits that can be
used to gain momentum in the contribution process?

We (well, mostly Philippe) did tag some issues as ‘BiteSize’: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/labels/BiteSize
It’s probably not very up-to-date and I should run over the list to classify the issues again.
There is also the (still unfinished) list of issues we tagged for the last camp smalltalk at esug in Koln: <a href="https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/labels/CampSmalltalk 2019" class="">https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/labels/CampSmalltalk%202019

But I would say anything you have done yourself to extend or change Seaside which might be useful for others is interesting.
I am very much aware that this often requires additional work, which is also why not all changes and extensions we made at Yesplan found their way into Seaside…
And many times, it should not even become part of core Seaside…. Which reminds me of a website we should setup and gather those references there ;)

I'm currently exploring changes or extensions (that I think are
enhancements) to the core model, to expose an app to be session-less
for most of its use, but it's an exploratory long road that I take
in my spare time that might end up being a dead-end.

Haha, I can totally sympathise there :) I have many images of started experiments I never actually finished…

Cheers!
Johan

tty

Re: Seaside 3.4.2 & help wanted!

tty
Hi John,

I am interested in helping to maintain the Squeak compatibility portion.

When you have a moment, please email me with both the high-level view of what 'squeak compatibility' entails and pointers to the 'where' of doing so (a separate Squeak compat package ?)

cheers,

tty

---- On Thu, 09 Jul 2020 14:54:37 -0400 Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote ----

[...]

Hi Timothy, all,

Sorry for the delay. It’s been a hectic week so far.

It’s a good question and there is no complete writeup for how we deal with the platform-specificity in the codebase.
I will write up more info on the wiki asap, but to give you a gist:

We have a Squeak-specific section in the BaselineOfSeaside3, which specifies which packages are loaded in Squeak.
Platform-specific packages include the platform name, e.g. ’Seaside-Core-Pharo`.
We also use Grease as a layer to abstract away platform-specific api’s, but this is not always possible.

The Travis-CI builds https://travis-ci.org/github/SeasideSt verify the tests for all platforms, including Squeak.

Perhaps a good place to start is to check out the failing tests for Squeak. I think there is one or two at the moment.
I’m also not sure if we are still testing the latest version.

A couple of issues have been tagged ‘platform-squeak’: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/labels/Platform-Squeak

Checking out the currently broken test would be a great way to roll into it.

cheers
Johan

On 11 Jul 2020, at 13:05, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

tty

Re: Seaside 3.4.2 & help wanted!

tty
Johan

Thank you.

I will start this weekend

---- On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 11:36:34 -0400 [hidden email] wrote ----

[...]

Tim Johnson-2
Hi Johan and Timothy,

Yes, please count me in for helping Squeak compatibility (Grease) for Seaside also.

I have a Squeak/Seaside app which has been running very well on top of Squeak's WebClient/WebServer since the recent update to it in trunk.

I have helped sort out some Seaside load order issues & etc. for Squeak in the past, and am interested in becoming more capable with ConfigurationOf / BaselineOf going forward.

Thanks,
Tim

On Jul 16, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

[...]

tty

Re: Seaside 3.4.2 & help wanted!

tty

Great,

If you would like to take the lead on this, it may go faster. I am very busy with the night job and another project, so my available time is limited.

I have a succesfull (flawless, actually) pharo install and a brand new Squeak 6 image I want to use as the target for making the compat work.

cheers.

---- On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 22:45:00 -0400 Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote ----

[...]

tty

Re: Seaside 3.4.2 & help wanted!

tty
Hi folks,

I got a bit of time and the standard install of

Installer ensureRecentMetacello.

Metacello new
baseline:'Seaside3';
repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
load

in

Squeak6.0alpha
latest update: #19835
Current Change Set: HomeProject
Image format 68021 (64 bit)
worked flawlessly.

There was one hiccup in the browse to localhost:8080

in  WAFormInputTag chage asSelector asMutator to asSelector asSimpleSetter

Running tests:

Grease-Tests-XYX
SeasideTests-XYZ
Javascript-Tests-XYZ
JQueryTests-XYZ

1707 run in 0:00:00:20.131, 1705 passes, 2 expected failures, 0 failures, 0 errors, 0

So, did folks get everything fixed while I was scratching around for some time to work on this? (:

cheers.

Re: Seaside 3.4.2 & help wanted!

Tobias Pape

> On 03.09.2020, at 22:36, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I got a bit of time and the standard install of
>

> Installer ensureRecentMetacello.
>
> Metacello new
> baseline:'Seaside3';
> repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
> load
>

> in
>

> Squeak6.0alpha
> latest update: #19835
> Current Change Set: HomeProject
> Image format 68021 (64 bit)
> worked flawlessly.

Yay, great to hear! Thanks for testing :)
Best regards
        -Tobias