Seaside 3 in VisualWorks 7.7

Alberto Bacchelli
Hi,

I am using visualworks 7.7 and the bundled seaside version (3.0).
Differently from the version in visualworks 7.6, in any web application
I build with seaside, the session expires each time I press refresh
in the browser.

Is it an intended behavior? Could it be possible to change it,
and restore the old one?

Thanks,
Alberto

PS I apologize for the cross posting,
but I am not sure about the most appropriate mailing list
to use in this case.

Re: Seaside 3 in VisualWorks 7.7

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
On 3/10/10 9:38 AM, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using visualworks 7.7 and the bundled seaside version (3.0).
> Differently from the version in visualworks 7.6, in any web application
> I build with seaside, the session expires each time I press refresh
> in the browser.
>
> Is it an intended behavior? Could it be possible to change it,
> and restore the old one?

Seaside 3.0 in VW7.7 is an alpha version, so you're best bet is to bring
it up on the seaside mailing list. It sounds like a bug but without more
details I couldn't really comment.

Michael

Re: [Seaside] Seaside 3 in VisualWorks 7.7

Julian Fitzell-2
Hi Alberto,

Certainly not an intended behaviour. :) The cross-posting is fine.

I haven't heard any similar reports so let's see if anyone can
identify it as VW-specific and, if not, we'll have to dig further into
your setup to see if we can isolate the problem.

Julian

On 3/10/10 7:44 PM, Michael Lucas-Smith wrote:
> On 3/10/10 9:38 AM, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:
>> Hi,

[...]
> Seaside 3.0 in VW7.7 is an alpha version, so you're best bet is to bring
> it up on the seaside mailing list. It sounds like a bug but without more
> details I couldn't really comment.
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

  It's quite disappointing realizing that in the official vw version
an alpha release of seaside is provided as the bundled solution...

Which version of seaside 2.8 should I download from the cincom
repository to make it work? I tried several ones, but without success.

Thank you,
Alberto

Re: Seaside 3 in VisualWorks 7.7

Michael Lucas-Smith-2

> Hi Michael,
>
>    It's quite disappointing realizing that in the official vw version
> an alpha release of seaside is provided as the bundled solution...
>
> Which version of seaside 2.8 should I download from the cincom
> repository to make it work? I tried several ones, but without success.

Seaside 3.0 is the first version that allows us to have Seaside run in
VisualWorks and ObjectStudio without significant invasion in to the core
libraries. Seaside 2.8 was incredibly invasive and was not a sustainable
way for us to continue moving forward. We are extremely happy with the
way Seaside 3.0 has been implemented to make porting easy. Seaside 3.0a5
may not be the full release, but is a release of Seaside that should be
reasonable stable. a5 is very close to b1, which in turn should be close
to the final release when it does eventually come out.

Michael

Re: [Seaside] Seaside 3 in VisualWorks 7.7

Julian Fitzell-2
Oh, hang on. If you haven't clicked on a link, then yes, this is
normal (if not always desired) behaviour. The only way to avoid this
is to redirect as the very first action when starting a session. Many
people don't want this because it adds a redirect and results in the
session key being in the location bar if someone decides to bookmark
the initial page.

You can get around this by calling "self requestContext redirect"
somewhere like your root component's #initialRequest: method (I think
that should work there... untested).

Julian

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Alberto Bacchelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Julian,
>
> in the meantime I detail how I found the issue so it will be easier to
> detect the problem.
>
> - Using vw 7.7 I loaded the seaside parcel shipped with visualworks (I also
> tried with the last version of seaside in the cincom store experiencing the
> same problem)
> - I subclassed WASession with MySession and override #new in the following
> way:
>        MySession>>new
>                Transcript show: 'new session' ; cr.
>                ^super new
> - I set my application to use MySession instead of WASession
>
> With the above configuration, when I refresh the page I get 'new session' on
> the transcript.
>
> Cheers,
> Alberto
>
> On 3/10/10 9:55 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alberto,
>>
>> Certainly not an intended behaviour. :) The cross-posting is fine.
>>
>> I haven't heard any similar reports so let's see if anyone can
>> identify it as VW-specific and, if not, we'll have to dig further into
>> your setup to see if we can isolate the problem.
>>
>> Julian

Fwd: [Seaside] Seaside 3 in VisualWorks 7.7

Julian Fitzell-2
For the information of the vwnc list...

Julian you are *completely* right: after I click on a link in the page,
the session stops expiring if I refresh using the browser.

Thank you very much!
And I apologize for my ignorance :(

Alberto

On 3/10/10 11:11 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Oh, hang on. If you haven't clicked on a link, then yes, this is
> normal (if not always desired) behaviour. The only way to avoid this
> is to redirect as the very first action when starting a session. Many
> people don't want this because it adds a redirect and results in the
> session key being in the location bar if someone decides to bookmark
> the initial page.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=364
>
> You can get around this by calling "self requestContext redirect"
> somewhere like your root component's #initialRequest: method (I think
> that should work there... untested).
>
> Julian

Re: Seaside 3 in VisualWorks 7.7

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Am 10.03.2010 19:44, schrieb Michael Lucas-Smith:

> On 3/10/10 9:38 AM, Alberto Bacchelli wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using visualworks 7.7 and the bundled seaside version (3.0).
>> Differently from the version in visualworks 7.6, in any web application
>> I build with seaside, the session expires each time I press refresh
>> in the browser.
>>
>> Is it an intended behavior? Could it be possible to change it,
>> and restore the old one?
>>
> Seaside 3.0 in VW7.7 is an alpha version, so you're best bet is to bring
> it up on the seaside mailing list. It sounds like a bug but without more
> details I couldn't really comment.

I suppose at least once a year many sessions will expire, if the timeout
is < 1 hour. The expiry mechanism uses Time totalSeconds, which is
implemented as Timestamp now asSeconds, which is DST aware ;)