Seaside Book, Chapter 17, File Library

blake watson
I'm looking at chapter 17, on the file library, and when I get to the
practical example in 17.4 I don't see how it works.

Clearly, you're supposed to piggy-back the file library on to the
counter component, but there's no explanation of how.

The only code shown is:

WAFileLibrary subclass: #CounterLibrary
    instanceVariableNames: ''
    classVariableNames: ''
    poolDictionaries: ''
    category: 'Test'

And this is followed by two screen shots which show a visual
representation of...looks like a file picker (HTML input file type),
and some buttons. But I don't see where they come from. FileLibrary
descends from WAObject, not WAComponent (sensibly), so it can't come
from the WAFileLibrary itself.

What am I missing?

===Blake===

Re: Seaside Book, Chapter 17, File Library

Paul DeBruicker
I can't tell from your question but were you able to follow section 17.3.1:

http://book.seaside.st/book/in-action/serving-files/filelibraries/creating

?

It shows how to create your own file library, and add files to is.  Is
that what you are looking to do?

On 04/27/2012 12:14 PM, blake wrote:

> I'm looking at chapter 17, on the file library, and when I get to the
> practical example in 17.4 I don't see how it works.
>
> Clearly, you're supposed to piggy-back the file library on to the
> counter component, but there's no explanation of how.
>
> The only code shown is:
>
> WAFileLibrary subclass: #CounterLibrary
>      instanceVariableNames: ''
>      classVariableNames: ''
>      poolDictionaries: ''
>      category: 'Test'
>
> And this is followed by two screen shots which show a visual
> representation of...looks like a file picker (HTML input file type),
> and some buttons. But I don't see where they come from. FileLibrary
> descends from WAObject, not WAComponent (sensibly), so it can't come
> from the WAFileLibrary itself.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> ===Blake===

RE: Seaside Book, Chapter 17, File Library

Robert Sirois
I think I see your confusion. All the WAFileLibrary subs can be accessed via the dispatcher (under files? Can't quite remember). That's where the uploader / buttons are coming from.

Creating your own form, etc. isn't especially difficult either.

Sent from my G2.

RS

> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:08:55 -0700
> From: pdebruic@gmail.com
> To: seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Seaside Book, Chapter 17, File Library
>
> I can't tell from your question but were you able to follow section 17.3.1:
>
> http://book.seaside.st/book/in-action/serving-files/filelibraries/creating
>
> ?
>
> It shows how to create your own file library, and add files to is. Is
> that what you are looking to do?
>

> On 04/27/2012 12:14 PM, blake wrote:
> > I'm looking at chapter 17, on the file library, and when I get to the
> > practical example in 17.4 I don't see how it works.
> >
> > Clearly, you're supposed to piggy-back the file library on to the
> > counter component, but there's no explanation of how.
> >
> > The only code shown is:
> >
> > WAFileLibrary subclass: #CounterLibrary
> > instanceVariableNames: ''
> > classVariableNames: ''
> > poolDictionaries: ''
> > category: 'Test'
> >
> > And this is followed by two screen shots which show a visual
> > representation of...looks like a file picker (HTML input file type),
> > and some buttons. But I don't see where they come from. FileLibrary
> > descends from WAObject, not WAComponent (sensibly), so it can't come
> > from the WAFileLibrary itself.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > ===Blake===

Re: Seaside Book, Chapter 17, File Library

blake watson
Paul,

>>I can't tell from your question but were you able to follow section 17.3.1:

Yeah.

RS,

> I think I see your confusion. All the WAFileLibrary subs can be accessed via
> the dispatcher (under files? Can't quite remember). That's where the
> uploader / buttons are coming from.

Right.

It doesn't look much like the screenshots, and there's no indication
in the text to go back through the conifg process. Hence my confusion.

Thanks.

===Blake===

RE: Seaside Book, Chapter 17, File Library

Robert Sirois
Sure, I hope that helped. I think the url would look something like (guessing):

localhost:8080/files/WAFileLibrary

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. I'm phone-bound for a few days so you may get better help from others.

RS